Wedding Woes

Potential Wedding Venue Not Returning Calls...

This is a little long, thanks in advance for reading...

My fiance and I had planned on marrying in September of 2014. We had put our $1000 deposit on our reception hall. Four months before the wedding, we decided we needed to push it 2015, for various reasons. At that point we didn't know which month we wanted to marry in 2015.  I was told by the venue coordinator our deposit was non-refundable.  Either way, we wanted to book there again in 2015.

Fast forward to now, and we have a new date set of October 2nd 2015. So of course I called this same venue and verified it was available. I had to leave a message with the guy who answers the phones because the wedding coordinator had just left.
That was 2 weeks ago (October 6th). I called again on October 16th and had to leave a message again, and was told I would hear back by the end of that day or the next. They have still not gotten back to me!

I'm just thinking of booking our 2nd choice venue because I'm getting really peeved. The 2nd choice venue called me back right away.

Any ideas as to why venue #1 isn't calling back? Super frustrating because I find this venue prettier than the 2nd choice.

Re: Potential Wedding Venue Not Returning Calls...

• Since you're not talking to the person you actually NEED to talk to, start there in asking for them direct - don't leave a message, ask to talk to them, and if they aren't in, get a time that they will be and call back then.  It's very possible they aren't getting the messages or they're bogged down with what is typically fall wedding season..

Next, IMO, there's a lot to be said about a venue that wants to work with you and do business with you over a "pretty" venue.   

• Did you already totally lose the deposit or did they just put that credit towards another event, ie your 2015 wedding?  If you've already lost your deposit...which I think is super terrible of them to do anyway...I'd definitely bale out on this place and go with the other location.

Not for a wedding, but I've worked with venues for large company Christmas parties and when they are non-responsive in the early stages...they are even worse after they have the majority of your money.

If you can put the $1,000 toward the 2015 wedding, than I would certainly try to make this place work, even if it means a lot more heavy lifting on my end...such as knowing I'm going to have to phone stalk the place for any question I have. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • short+sassy - when I cancelled with her initially I asked if we could transfer any of our deposit to a new date in the future. She said something along the lines of we signed a contract that states our deposit is non-refundable and non-transferable, but she would "ask the GM". 
    I agree if they won't offer ANY credit toward our 2015 date I'm going with the other venue. 
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2014
    who cares why they aren't calling you back. you know where they work -- just go there and don't leave until you get an answer.

say what you want about alex forrest from "fatal attraction", but girl had a plan and got results. she just might be my spirit animal.
  • I agree that if they will give you at least a partial credit, you should consider making it work. 

But if not, I have kind of a rule that if a vendor is difficult to get in contact with, they probably aren't the right fit for me. The ones that are pro active and follow-up with me unprompted get a lot of brownie points from me because I'm busy and I don't want to have to call the venue 6 times the week before my wedding to get a question answered, or whatever. 
  • I agree with going there in person, and just shamelessly hanging around until you see who you need to see. Sometimes being obnoxious is the best way to get results!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards