Attire & Accessories Forum

Help i waited and lost my dream dress

I took the advice of others and waited to buy my dress until it got closer to my wedding date and now my wedding is a year away. the dress that i want is no longer in my size, They have one and its 4 sizes to big....... what do i do?

Re: Help i waited and lost my dream dress

• pearlluopearlluo member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2014
    I am really sorry to hear that.Why not try to find your dream dress from somewhere else.And don't worry too much,your wedding is a year away,you still have time.My wedding is about 4 months left and I have not got my dress till now.I will rent one from the store near my place and just wonder which one to choose.
  • Post a picture and someone will find something comparable. Did you even try the 'dream dress' on in the first place? You may end up not liking the way the shape looks on you. I was positive I was going to get an off-the-shoulder gown with NO beading. What did I end up with? Cap sleeves and a zillion beads.

Keep in mind too that there's never just one dress. If you let go of this one, you will find you can like a lot of dresses. There were certainly several I could have chosen and been perfectly happy with.
  • Order it.  Just because the one on the rack is too big doesn't mean the store can't order it.

If the store isn't making it now, ask about a custom order.  The Lazaro I loved wasn't sold as part of the line anymore, so I just ordered it as a custom dress.  It cost more, but it was the dress I wanted.

And last, look on sites like preownedweddingdresses.com, tradesywedding, etc.  Buying it second hand could score you a better deal than buying it new.
  • Funny thing about dreams is sometimes they're just that - dreams. Not reality. Identify what you loved about the dress and find something similar. There are literally thousands upon thousands of gorgeous dresses out there - there's more than just that one that you'll look absolutely stunning in. I promise.

•  yes im pretty sure it will look great on me ive tried on simliar and this was in my budget and what i wanted unfortunately i found this dress about a year and a half a go and i took the advice of friends and family that i should wait until the year mark. So i did and now i cant find it in stores or online. Its a Galina Signature and only sold at davids bridal.

this is the dress

i got it to attach yay haha but yes this is the dress
  • Did you check preownedweddingdresses.com. I found my DB dress on there for super cheap! Might do some Google searching and see if it pops up somewhere else at a smaller size
  • yeah ive looked on everything sadly
  • edited November 2014
    What size are you looking for?  There's one here: http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/view/108150/Galina-SWG579-Size-10.html

Also it looks like David's Bridal has it on their eBay page in select sizes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/301326886588?lpid=82
  • Have you been into a DBs?  Have they tried to locate the dress for you at another store?  Have you tried calling other DBs and see if you could purchase over the phone and have them ship?  I know there was a DB dress I loved that was discontinued, the one they had in the store was too small (but they assured me they could add a corset back and make it work) - I told them I was uncomfortable buying a dress that didn't fit and they were able to locate one that did; I ended up NOT purchasing the dress though.

Anniversary
  • @Dignity100

Ya DB is a hot mess.. said the same thing to me... umm no thanks (I was having a panic attack at them cutting the dress) And then the total cost to alter more than the dress i was orignally buying... what a mess :)

• edited November 2014
    i've tried going to them and had several consultants tell me that they cant look it up i was devastated
    i recently emailed corporate about it
    i even looked at buying 
  • *one from a Chinese online retail shop, but read reviews, and decided against it
  • edited November 2014
    It's still available in a 2, 10, and 12 on DB's website. What size do you need? If you're a 0-4 the 2 would work (DB's dresses can be let out up to one size) and if you're a 6-14 the 10 or 12 would work. 

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_one-shoulder-gown-with-handkerchief-hemline-swg579

You can PM me if you want. I work at DB and can definitely help you find a way to get this. 
  • the thing is i wanted it in ivory but your saying i can fit the champagne size 2 because i am a 4 you know what i really do want the dress ill pm you id love help
  • lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014
    Don't forget that if you're a size 4 in regular clothes, you could very well need a size 6 in this dress. If the dress can only be sized up one size to a 4, it will then be too small for you.  (wedding dresses run small. I was one size up in all the DB dresses I tried).

ETA: but it's available in Ivory in size 8... so you'd be able to size that down one size to 6!
  • edited November 2014
    lilacck28 said:
    Don't forget that if you're a size 4 in regular clothes, you could very well need a size 6 in this dress. If the dress can only be sized up one size to a 4, it will then be too small for you.  (wedding dresses run small. I was one size up in all the DB dresses I tried).
    Not everyone is a size up at DB. They're closer to street size than couture wedding dresses are. My street size and DB WG size are the same, but in my own couture dress I had to go up a size. If she tried on a size 4 at a store then a 2 could be let out to fit her. 

ETA: It is always better to go for too big when in doubt though, that's for sure ... 
  • I'm a size 4 in DB that's what they measure me at.
  • If you want the Ivory I would just order the 8.  Most dresses can be taken in 2 sizes without reconstructing the dress which would bring it down to your size 4.  Any decent tailor should be able to do it for you, if you're concerned about it print out a picture and take it to the tailor/seamstress of your choice and ask for their professional opinion (and an alterations quote while you're at it).
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • that's actually a great idea thank you :D
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards