Chit Chat
Options

I actually cooked last night!!

So, I am NOT usually the cooking type, but I'm trying to change that.  When I was in law school, I simply didn't have time because I had internships at 9 AM and didn't get home from class until about 11 PM (or later).  It was straight Lean Cuisines for me.  Now that FI and I are settled into our new condo, I've been trying to cook more.  I get home from work by 5 PM usually, so I have the time to do it, and I feel like I should probably have a better signature dish than soup from a can. 

Last night I DID IT!!  I made NY Strip steak, grilled mixed veggies (onions, peppers, potatoes, asparagus, and kale), and a little salad.  Plus cookies for desert.  I'm so proud of myself!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should make later this week?  Something beginner-friendly?

Re: I actually cooked last night!!

• Options
    Yay!!!

Make tacos. They are the easiest things ever. Just cook some ground beef, add seasoning, bring out all your favorite topping and VOILA

It works really well with ground turkey so you can have a healthier taco. I make a taco bar every week. It's my favorite dinner, no matter how many steaks I cook or fish I fry.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Fabulous! Oven baked fajitas are super easy, basically chop everything, add spices and toss it all together. Soups are also generally the same idea. 

When H & I first moved in and I was taking cooking more seriously, I also kept a frozen pizza in the freezer.... you know, just in case ;)

I also highly recommend making a menu and good grocery list to make cooking easier for yourself. 
  • Options

@RebeccaFlower I definitely always keep some frozen pizzas in the freezer!  Haha there are days I just won't have time or energy to cook. 

It's also hard because parking on my street is SUCH  a pain in the butt, so I usually walk to the grocery store, which means I only buy what I can carry back.  It would be SO nice to have a garage or an actual parking spot.  Dare to dream.

• Options
    When I was in college, I walked to the grocery store. I would cook for 2-3 days on Sunday and it was fabulous. A big pot of soup on Sunday would last for lunches all week. Could you drive to the suburbs one a month of something to stock up so you wouldn't have to carry everything? 
  • Options
    @RebeccaFlower, I can drive to a grocery store in the city, but the problem is that parking sucks after 5 PM on my street.  So I'd just have to get to work extra early so I can leave early and go -but I'm lazy haha.  I usually try to go on Sundays or something because a lot more spots are available, but city parking is definitely one of my least favorite parts about living in the city.  I used to just take metro everywhere, but now I need to drive to work so my day basically revovles around getting home in time to get a parking spot
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    oh my pot roast recipe!!

French onion soup mix
    A rump roast
    Red potatoes
    Carrots 
    Onions

Brown the outside of the roast after rubbing in various things like pepper, salt, cumin, garlic whatever

Wash tatoes and cut up carrots and onions, throw all of the ingredients into the crockpot. Set it on high until it begins a boil, then leave it on low for at least 5 hours. I like to do it in the morning before work, because the longer it sits the better it is. Just make sure the onion soup water covers all the food.

I am super good at cooking but I never measure anything. I just kinda do it all by taste and smell. 

I also like to switch out the beef roast for pork, and add cranberries to the mix. It's so good and simple!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    larrygaga said:
    oh my pot roast recipe!!

French onion soup mix
    A rump roast
    Red potatoes
    Carrots 
    Onions

Brown the outside of the roast after rubbing in various things like pepper, salt, cumin, garlic whatever

Wash tatoes and cut up carrots and onions, throw all of the ingredients into the crockpot. Set it on high until it begins a boil, then leave it on low for at least 5 hours. I like to do it in the morning before work, because the longer it sits the better it is. Just make sure the onion soup water covers all the food.

I am super good at cooking but I never measure anything. I just kinda do it all by taste and smell. 

I also like to switch out the beef roast for pork, and add cranberries to the mix. It's so good and simple!

This is my problem with good cooks hahaha!  I do NOT trust myself nearly enough to go by taste and smell!  I want exact measurements to make sure I don't kill the person eating my food.  If I kill FI, I'd most likely miss out on the wedding and honeymoon, and those are already (at least partially) paid for.  I definitely can't kill him before that!
  • Options
    bahahahah that's the spirit!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Tacos are super easy. I also make a turkey meatloaf that is very simple to put together. 
    Chicken marsala - another easy dish. Pulled pork in the crock pot. And pasta dishes! 
  • Options
    Tacos are super easy. I also make a turkey meatloaf that is very simple to put together. 
    Chicken marsala - another easy dish. Pulled pork in the crock pot. And pasta dishes! 

How do you make turkey meatloaf?  I don't eat pork (Jewish mother guilt), but FI does and he would probably love that!  I really hope someone gets us the crock pot off our registry, but I'm also considering just buying myself one and taking it off the registry...
  • Options
    This isn't really a homemade dinner, but I like to buy chicken sausage for an easy weeknight meal. I buy the ones next to the hot dogs.

I heat those up on my grill pan, and then usually roast chopped up potatoes and carrots with olive oil and salt and pepper. Super easy.

We also like to buy those steamer bags of veggies for when I don't feel like making a side.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Chicken supreme is very easy to make, with roast potatoes. I can also give you a chicken and chickpeas coconut milk curry, and my beef stew in red wine and tomatoes? Those are all beginner style I think...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Another super easy dinner is Baked Potatoes.  Buy Russets, scrub them up really good poke them in a few places with a fork and throw them in the oven at 375 for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes depending on size*.  While they are cooking just prepare your favorite toppings.  If you don't have a ton of time you can microwave them for a few minutes before putting them in the oven to speed things up.

*I like to eat the potato skin so I prefer to brush them with olive oil and wrap them in foil before baking.  My H prefers a crispier skin so when he is cooking them he just throws them straight on the oven rack.

Spaghetti with Meatballs is always easy.  If you don't have time for a homemade pasta sauce (easier than it sounds and delicious) just start with a sauce you like and spice it up with onion powder/salt, garlic powder/salt, Italian seasoning, whatever to put your own spin on it.

This marinade for chicken is delicious....H and I will marinate a large package of chicken breasts Saturday night and use them all week long for easy lunches and dinners.  When they are fresh out of the oven served with a side of sauteed veggies for dinner.  Then Chicken Cesar Salads, Chicken Wraps, you name it.

This mac and cheese is fabulous and can be prepared the night before and just thrown in the oven to bake when you get home from work.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    dcbride86 said:

How do you make turkey meatloaf?  I don't eat pork (Jewish mother guilt), but FI does and he would probably love that!  I really hope someone gets us the crock pot off our registry, but I'm also considering just buying myself one and taking it off the registry...
    I'm going to try to do this from memory 
    1 pound ground turkey 
    1 cup bread crumbs 
    1 chopped onion 
    1 cup milk 
    1 egg
    Salt & pepper 

Mix together and put in a loaf pan. 

for the sauce, I use a mixture of either BBQ sauce or ketchup, mustard and brown sugar. I mix that all together and pour it on top. Then bake at 350 for 1 hour. 

• Options
    Just so you know, you guys are actually the best!  Thanks soooo much (and I'm sure FI will thank you too!)
  • Options

Another one here who loves/is good at cooking but doesn't use recipes. You will get better at eyeballing as time goes on.

I find that if you can master the basics (pasta, tacos, roast, roasted chicken) that you can really build off of those skills and create whole new meals.

For my pasta (which DH is in love with--he jokes it is the reason he married me) I simply brown Italian sausage and stew meat. Cut the sausage into slices and set aside with the meat. Then saute onions and lots garlic. Add in tomato sauce (2 large cans), and one small can of tomato paste.

Season with Italian seasoning, one bay leaf, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and whatever else you like. I add a dash of crushed red peppers and I ALWAYS add sugar to cut the acidity.

Add the meat back and let it sit on the stove at low for however long you want or until the meat is fully cooked.

I also make meatballs sometimes which are really basic. I can give you the "recipe" if you like.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    One pot meals are terrific for quick, easy weeknight dinners. I think this "one pot wonder" was the original (make with chicken or vegetable broth, full sodium, rather than water) and there are lots of spin-offs. This spinach artichoke pasta is EXCELLENT. As is this enchilada pasta.

Search for "one pan" on Pinterest and there are about a zillion more.

• Options
    This one-pot roast chicken and veggies dish is really good, and ecnomical:

http://letthebakingbeginblog.com/2014/05/one-pot-chicken-potatoes/

This recipe for sauteed spinach and mushrooms with caramelized onions is divine. I've put it over pasta and added some shredded leftover chicken or from a roast chicken from the deli:

http://juliasalbum.com/2014/04/sauteed-spinach-mushrooms-and-onions/

This loaded baked potato soup is awesome in the winter:

http://www.cookingclassy.com/2013/12/slow-cooker-loaded-potato-soup/

Hamburger soup is warm and filling and economical. You can use potatoes or rice instead of pasta if you want, vary the veggies, and I usually use onion instead of shallot. And always biscuits along side.

http://www.cravingsofalunatic.com/2012/10/zesty-hamburger-soup.html

Also look up Barefoot Contessa/Ina Garten on the Food Network site and find her roast chicken recipes. To die for.  Actually, I have great luck with all her recipes.

• Options
    I make cheesy scalloped potatoes like once a week.
  • Options

Another pasta sauce recipe:

Brown a pack of Italian sausages with some diced onion and garlic.  Add a can of diced tomatoes and some cranberry juice (enough that it looks soupy), then let it simmer down to a nice sauce consistency.  Just before you're ready to eat, throw in a few handfuls of fresh baby spinach and stir until wilted.

As a side note: my mouth is already watering for the pot roast I'm planning on making on Saturday.  Oy vey.

As a second side note:  Michael Smith is also a great chef to get recipes from.  Super easy, and very delish.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    OP, don't be afraid to make mistakes while cooking. I've learned so much by fucking up dinner. (Just make sure you have a back up plan like frozen pizza). 
  • Options
    lc07 said:
    OP, don't be afraid to make mistakes while cooking. I've learned so much by fucking up dinner. (Just make sure you have a back up plan like frozen pizza). 
    This!  Throw some stuff in a pot and see how it comes out!  Every time my parents visit, I have one night of 'experimental dinner'.  It's usually the best meal of their trip.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    Chicken supreme is very easy to make, with roast potatoes. I can also give you a chicken and chickpeas coconut milk curry, and my beef stew in red wine and tomatoes? Those are all beginner style I think...
    That sounds delicious @raissyrais! Could I get that recipe?
  • Options
    I'm still learning myself but the crockpot is my best friend! You can do such great things with it and it requires basically no cooking skill. Throw chicken breasts in and add a bottle of BBQ sauce (for BBQ chicken sandwiches) or a packet of ranch and a bottle of hot sauce (for chicken tacos). Cook for six hours on low, shred and cook for another 30 minutes and you're good to go! 

And I feel your pain with parking. When DH and I lived in DC proper we had to wait three months to get an assigned spot at our building and that was not fun. And then we got assigned the worlds worst parking spot- a compact spot in a corner for his full size car. I basically refused to drive for the next nine months as I could not master the 86 point turn it took to get out of the space.
  • Options
    One pot meals that cook in less than an hour including prep time:

chili
    homemade soups (potato leek, vegetable, chicken noodle, minestrone, lentil w/ spinach, creamy squash, corn chowder, cream of tomato... I could go on...)
    beef stew
    paella (w/ chicken & chorizo)
    risotto

One of these + salad = meal.

And clean-up is super-easy!

Happy cooking!
  • Options
    Nymeru said:
    That sounds delicious @raissyrais! Could I get that recipe?
    @Nymeru I don't have an actual recipe but try this:

2 chicken breasts (organic if you can)
    1 can of chickpeas (wash under water to rid of extra salt)
    1 can of coconut milk (see on the can that it doesn't say coconut extract and water, you want the real thing!)
    1 can of diced tomatoes (salt free)
    4 heaped tbsps of curry or hot madras curry powder
    2 tsps of turmeric
    2 tsps of crushed chilli powder (or however hot you want it!)
    One red onion
    2 garlic cloves and a piece of ginger, all grated
    Salt and Pepper
    2 tbsps brown sugar
    Fresh coriander

So you cut up the chicken breasts in small cube and you can either grill them in the oven or pan fry them. For the sauce:

In olive oil you stir the onion until translucent. Add the curry powder, turmeric and chilli powder and let cook for a few minutes. Then just throw in chickpeas, tomatoes, garlic and ginger. Let it stew for an hour in low. Then add the coconut milk (you can put less than a can if you want it let saucy), and cook uncovered until liquids have reduced. Stir in the sugar, salt and pepper as desired. Sprinkle fresh coriander. Serve with brown rice, brown naan or brown faratas. YUM :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards