Wedding Woes

This just...is a bad situation with no 'good' solution

Dear Prudence,
I’m 56 years old and my husband of 37 years died three months ago. He was retired and was the sole caretaker for his 83-year-old mom who lives with us in the duplex we set up for her. My husband’s sister died suddenly last week at age 57. She had been planning to move in and take care of her mother. I am left with my mother-in-law, who has now lost all four of her children. My mother-in-law is incapable of being alone, now more than ever. There is no physical reason for her lack of independence; it’s more mental, which I can understand given what she’s been through. But I’m at work all day, and can’t take care of her. My stepdaughter lives close by with her three children and a husband who is dying of cancer. He was given two weeks to live last February, and is defying the odds, but it’s only a matter of time. She feels obligated to take care of her grandma and probably worries about what I’m going to do. I haven’t made any decisions. I wish my mother-in-law would see how hard babysitting her is. If ever there was a candidate for assisted living it’s her, but I don’t think she’s come around to thinking that. I have compassion for her but it hurts so much to be around her and I’m grieving too. I still feel somewhat young and that there is happiness and a life to be had ahead of me, but there is no way to move on right now. Do I just wait this out and stay put? I’m afraid that she could live another 10 years like this. And I feel awful for even thinking that.

—Guilty and Grieving

Re: This just...is a bad situation with no 'good' solution

• She needs to just put her in a home, and be firm about it.

This is why we need to round up all old people, put them in a fenced area, and just feed and booze them up till they die. They would be taken super good care of, but they can't leave. Everything just comes to them.
  • Why is everyone she knows dying? I mean, I know that's not the point, but if you wrote something like that, everyone would say it isn't realistic. That is a lot of death all up in this woman's life. 

And yeah, time to take Grandma to a home. End of story. 
  • She needs to find a good assisted living and put MIL in it.  Don't ditch her in the first place you find, make sure it's a good place.  My GG was so much healthier once we got her into assisted living where it was someone's job to bring her medicine, track her food and weight, track her meds, pay attention to her feet, take her to appointments, etc.  She probably had a better life for her last years than she would've had living by herself with us trying to provide all these things and live our lives as wel.

And I'm not upset with the woman for having some selfish feelings too. They're actually rather normal feelings for a caretaker.
  • WHO'S PAYING
  • I think a lot of older people have this idea that retirement homes/assisted living homes are like the nursing homes of old.  Taking her on a tour could really open her eyes.
  • I'm with hmonkey - those places are great but super expensive.  My grandmother actually died one year ago tomorrow and I spent her last 2 years taking care of her, its hard and if she could afford she should totally put her someplace great.  But, we were paying over $6000 a month and most people can't afford that!  I would not have been able to come close, but luckly my GF had prepared for things like that, most don't.
  • baconsmom said:
    Why is everyone she knows dying? I mean, I know that's not the point, but if you wrote something like that, everyone would say it isn't realistic. That is a lot of death all up in this woman's life.
    I know, she's like Angela Lansbury in Murder, She Wrote.
  • I get that everyone was keeling over at once, and that might have been unexpected - but why wasn't long term care for MIL discussed before they had her move in/set up in the duplex? 

even as a couple, i would think you'd discuss longer term income/support in the event that one spouse dies. if the MIL was reliant on the couple for financial support, I would think that would be another bullet point in that discussion (same as if you had children or other dependants to support) - if the primary breadwinner died tomorrow, how would the family continue to support themselves? could they do it on a reduced income? are there insurance policies, pensions, spousal benefits, savings accounts, or retirement accounts that would  help to cover the cost? If the MIL has money to pay her way, would she consider hiring a nurse/companion to check in on her while the wife is at work? (and how would that cost compare with a full-time assisted living facility?) Would MIL's medical benefits or MediCare help to cover the costs if it's doctor mandated? 

I'm all in on PMeg's old people ranch idea. You could maybe throw in some slot machines for entertainment and to help offset the cost of running the place. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards