Wedding Woes

Thursday

We've made it to the down side of this week.  YAY!  DH is so out of whack this week...he insisted it was Weds until the kiddo showed him on his phone that it really is Thursday. 

The rest of my furniture is coming on Monday!!  Woohoo!!  I can work on a real desk instead of a folding table. 

I think I'm going to find a jeweler to plate and resize my rings on my day off next week.  It's been a long time since I've worn them.  DH teases me about being the only one that's 'married'. I put them on the other day and they're just a touch too small...stupid fat, never going to back to normal post-pregnancy fingers. 

Anyone have a good cornbread recipe?  I something that's not dry and will be OK if I make it a day or two ahead.  Also, any ideas on how to feed a crowd?  I just don't want it to be pulled pork, chili, or tacos/enchiladas.  I'm also using teh googlez, but I do like to hear tried and true options from people I 'know'. 

Re: Thursday

• How big of a crowd?  What time of day? I've got a disgusting sounding baked sandwich thing that is a hit.  For nicer I've done pork tenderloins, rosemary mashed potatoes and yams, and salad.  Lasagna/baked ziti, spiral ham....

The head of our group has sitter issues tonight.  The night of our big event with over 150 people showing up.  Eeeek. I hate to put it on my husband, but he may have 3 extra kids tonight.

• We're seriously insane and hosting 2 parties the week of Thanksgiving.  The Weds before Thanksgiving our friends from SoCal are going to be in town and we're having a small gathering of people at our house so they can visit with people they may not get a chance to see.  It's probably going to be 15-20 people, but could be up to 25.  I do have to work that day, so my prep/cooking time will be limited. 

The Saturday after Thanksgiving is our house warming.  I feel like I've lost it.  ;) 
  • This story has blown up in the last day or two.  These people are from our former area.  I love it. 

• 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited November 2014

I'd probably do Italian the day before Thanksgiving- easy and easy to make ahead. 

This is the hoagie bake. I promise it's awesome and you can cut it up in easy sizes.

2 tubes crescents
    1/3 lb salami
    1/3 lb sliced pepperoni
    1/3 lb ham
    1/3 lb swiss
    1/3 lb provolone
    4 eggs, beaten
    grated parm

Flatten a tube of crescents in the bottom of a greased 9x13.  Layer the meat then cheeses.  Brush half the eggs over the cheese then top with remaining rolls.  Sprinkle with parm.  Bake UNcovered at 350 for 25 mins.  Cover with foil and bake another 20. Cut into squares and serve plain or with marinara to dip.

ETA:  put the rest of the eggs on top of the second layer of rolls.  then do the parm and bake.

PMeg's Chicken cordon bleu could be another good one.

http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2012/07/chicken-cordon-bleu-casserole/

• Oh no Italian either.  We're doing it a week after the house warming for my sister's surprise bday party (at my house, again) and there's a lot of crowd cross-over with all of this.  Yes, now we're up to 3 parties in 10 days.  

Send wine! Lots of wine.  ;)  

I may do the hoagie bake.  Or say eff it and order pizza.  Ha. 
  • How about a couple of different types of soups (chicken noodle, broc. cheese, bean ...) in crock pots with a variety of crackers/gold fish, cheese, veggies and dip?
  • Or do breakfast for dinner....
  • 6fsn said:
    Or do breakfast for dinner....
    Brinner is my favorite.  With mimosas and Brunch :)
  • DD is 6 today!  6!!!!??!?!?!?

I have cramps so bad I think I might vomit.

Other than that, nothing too incredibly exciting is going on.
  • AuntFlo said:
    DD is 6 today!  6!!!!??!?!?!?

What?!
  • I would do the soup/sandwich thing for the day before thanksgiving, and for the house warming I would do a spiral ham.  Its easy to do sides ahead of time for ham.  A mashed potato bar is always a hit for me, I add lots of stuff they can dress it up with and its really easy. 
  • I'm having the house warming catered.  I'm only making a couple things for it.  But I'll have plenty to do without cooking.  :) 
  • The chicken cordon blue casserole could definitely be scaled up. It's quick to put together- you could roast chicken breasts (get the bone in, skin on chicken breasts) ahead of time, freeze the meat then defrost day of and throw it all together. I was going to say Italian because you could do a crockpot of sauce, some noodles, a salad, etc. pretty quickly. I also like the soup bar idea.

AF- How are all these WW kids growing up so fast? How is she 6?????????

I am so glad it's Thursday. I have so much to do that I really just need to get done on the weekend. Tomorrow is my dad's birthday and I need to do some things for that. I have errands to run. Chores to do.
  • I thought I was getting yelled at.
  • how much effort are you willing to put forth - and how much is your time worth, cost-wise?

We ordered a Chick Fil A nugget tray for Wolverine's b-day, and got some pre-cut fruit and veggie trays from Walmart - it wasn't too expensive, but the time saved was worth it - especially since i baked/decorated the cake. (of course this wasn't for a full meal - it was meant to be more of a snack since the party was 1:30-3.).  

Are you up for a barbeque? The only times we ever hosted anything that large at home, we grilled. 
  • I'd never plan to grill in November. Too much weather risk. 

• Okay, a question on the recipe above: it calls for 4 beaten eggs, and then says to "brush half the eggs over the cheese." But then no mention of what to do with the other half of the eggs. If you're only going to use half the eggs, why break open 4 when 2 would be sufficient?
  • Typo:  Put the rest of the eggs over the second layer of rolls.

@mrs.conn if you do this see the correction

• 6fsn said:

I'd never plan to grill in November. Too much weather risk. 

I love grilling when it's "cold" - during college, DK and I use to grill on a little charcoal camp stove on the front porch of the house he was renting. I remember sitting out there at night in the middle of February (in Pittsburgh) making ribs for us and his 3 roommates. Yes, it took hours, and it was cold, but we had fun and they were DELICIOUS. 

(I also realize that Houston is significantly warmer than Indy in November, so it's not an issue here. I can/do pretty much grill year-round.)

• @6fsn‌, thanks. Makes much more sense!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards