Honeymoon Discussions
Options

New York City in July?

edited November 2014 in Honeymoon Discussions
FI and I are getting married in April, but aren't taking our honeymoon until the week of July 4th because FI gets that entire week off with pay (other than this he gets no vacation or sick time whatsoever) so if we went at any other time during the year, he'd be missing work without pay. FILs are giving us $1000 for the honeymoon to do whatever we want. Since we'll have some time between the wedding and the HM, we'll have time to save up and add money to this. 

I've always wanted to go to New York and FI has been there but wants to go back. We would definitely want to see some shows while there and do all the awesome things you can do in NY that you can't do in Alabama where we live. (And shopping, duh) I guess my question is, for the week, could you NY natives give me a ballpark figure of a budget we should have for this? Is it more expensive during this time of year since its a holiday weekend? I feel like going anywhere in America that week is more pricey than usual, but you never know. Is this even a good idea to go to NY in July? I don't know what the summer weather is like there, but there are certain places to avoid in the summer, like New Orleans. I LOVE it there, but not in the dead of summer. 

Any advice on cost/where to stay/what to do is much appreciated!

ETA: paragraphs, and sorry I'm rambling on! Should have taken more time to collect and organize my thoughts
Anniversary

Re: New York City in July?

• Options
    It is often hot and stifling in NYC during July.  There is nothing you can really do about that.  Try to schedule some indoor activities (shows like you mentioned) since they will be in AC.  I would actually think that FOJ in NYC would be pretty quiet, as most people who live there are getting out of the city and heading to the Jersey Shore or the Hamptons for the holiday.  You might be able to score some hotel deals.
  • Options
    It will be very hot and humid. Ditto on scheduling indoor activities. 
  • Options
    Everything in new York is stupid expensive, regardless of time of year. It can be very tricky to find a hotel in Manhattan for under $200, unless you don't mind sharing a bathroom with strangers. Broadway tickets will generally be at least $100 each. I don't know what you like to eat, but I'd budget at least $100/day for food for the two of you. Most sites (museums, tall buildings, etc.) charge admission. Also, summer in New York is kinda gross because it's hot, humid, and stinky. And oh my gosh, don't plan to shop there. It's soooo expensive. I  can't honestly say I'd recommend it for a honeymoon, but then I maybe live too close to really appreciate the allure.
  • Options
    @kaos16 and @ClimbingBrideNY Noted. I will definitely research indoor activities and try to find some deals on hotels!

@emmyg65 I appreciate your feedback! I expected NY to be more expensive than here obviously, but we still aren't trying to spend $1,000s on this trip. It's a honeymoon, but we aren't loaded. 

I hate that we have to take our honeymoon during a holiday because anywhere we go travel is going to be ridiculous, unless we stay close enough that we can just drive as opposed to flying. Not only is it a holiday, but it's going to be hot AF. We originally thought of going on a cruise because FI's never been on one and the only time I've been on one was with my parents and I was too young to do anything. But we were just informed that cruises are also more expensive that time of year, regardless of when you book them. I hate FI's job. 
    Anniversary

• Options
    How much more are you planning on saving for this trip?  I don't think $1000 (or even $2K) is going to cut it for a week in NYC.  Like emmy said everything in NYC is expensive and remember that the sales tax is almost 9% so doing any amount of shopping is going to cost you a lot more then what you can do online or at home.  Also, July in the city is going to be god awful hot and humid.  Unless of course you luck out with how it was this past summer up here in the north east (unseasonably cool) but I don't foresee that happening two years in a row.

• Options
    How much more are you planning on saving for this trip?  I don't think $1000 (or even $2K) is going to cut it for a week in NYC.  Like emmy said everything in NYC is expensive and remember that the sales tax is almost 9% so doing any amount of shopping is going to cost you a lot more then what you can do online or at home.  Also, July in the city is going to be god awful hot and humid.  Unless of course you luck out with how it was this past summer up here in the north east (unseasonably cool) but I don't foresee that happening two years in a row.
    Our taxes here are 9% as well so that wouldn't make a huge difference, and we don't necessarily have to be there the entire week, that's just how long we have available with our work schedules. And we're used to the heat lol I think the most we could comfortably save up would be about $2,000, plus the $1,000 that FILs have given us, and I wouldn't want to go on vacation and have to count pennies to make sure we can afford to do things. We may just have to think of other options. Also a cruise is out, I've looked up Carnival and Royal and none of them have affordable cruises during the dates we have available. Boooo. 
    Anniversary

• Options
    I went in August for DH's 30th birthday. It was hot and we were sweaty but it actually wasn't unbearable like the South. We walked around for 3 days straight and didn't do too many indoor things. 
    We stayed at the Residence Inn Midtown Manhattan for a few reasons- 1. it's 5 minute walk to Grand Central Station and since we took the train in from CT instead of a flight, it was nice to just get off the train and walk to our hotel. 2. Every room has a kitchen so we were able to have some sandwiches and not spend quite so much on eating out. I loved the hotel and the location- I booked it in March and it was $750 for 3 nights. I looked online closer to the trip just to make sure prices didn't drop, and they actually went up to $1100 for the same 3 nights. So definitely be booked by Feb/March. 

• Options
    Most of the museums have a "pay what you wish" time so you could look those up and schedule accordingly
  • Options
    There are some positives about coming to the city over July 4th-the city actually clears out quite a bit and it can be quieter.

There are SO many free things to do in NYC in the summer. Every night of the week there are free outdoor movies throughout the city. The two best places are Brooklyn Bridge Park (Manhattan skyline in the black ground) and on the deck of the Intrepid. Grab a picnic, go early, and enjoy! Closer to May Thrillest usually puts out a list of all the free movies throughout the city.

There's also Summer Stage, which are free concerts throughout the city, though the best ones are in Central Park.

Around that time the Philharmonic performs for free in each borough. There's also free Broadway performances in Bryant Park at lunchtime on Wednesdays? I think it is.

Pick up a copy of Timeout NY when you get here, they list all the events for the week.

NYC can be more fun when you have a hefty budget, but there are ways to do it on $2k.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards