Wedding Woes

I'd call this a research fail.

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited November 2014 in Wedding Woes

Dear Prudence,
My wife is nine months pregnant and we are planning a home birth. Our team of two midwives came to our house to do a home visit last week, and shamed us for about 30 minutes when we let them know we would be vaccinating our baby. One of them (whom we’ve only met twice before) was adamant that we weren’t considering the safety and health of our child. I almost kicked her out of our house, I was so angry. Now I’m nervous my wife will be on edge about their judgment when the whole point of a home birth for us was so she’d feel more relaxed. I know it’s very late in the game, but should we be looking for a new birth team?

—Womb Service

Re: I'd call this a research fail.

• it can be *really* hard, from what I know, to find a doc willing to work with someone 9 months along.

I hope you fire the midwives Mrs. conn
  • I love midwives, I had one for my first. But MrsConn, you can have midwives in the hospital or a birth center. Also, how do you get to be 9 months along and just find out that the midwife is of the crunchy, no-vax persuasion? You obviously didn't do your homework.
  • These people just sound so naive and they want to have a home birth because a couple celebs have talked about how great it was or whatever. 

Put me in the hospital bed and give me the good stuff. 
  • I would not be relaxed wondering who was going to clean up after I gave birth, what would happen if something went wrong, not having any painkillers, etc, etc. I was so relaxed at the hospital I fell asleep on the operating table. 
  • baconsmom said:
    I would not be relaxed wondering who was going to clean up after I gave birth, what would happen if something went wrong, not having any painkillers, etc, etc. I was so relaxed at the hospital I fell asleep on the operating table. 
    Yep - the clean up part is what gets a firm "NO" from me.  I can't even get past that to think about the other aspects.  Just no.   
    And, if you all remember, my SIL had a home birth and she got *really* lucky that the outcome wasn't worse than it was.  Don't get me started...
    I think midwives are awesome, and if I were at all interested in natural childbirth I would have hired one, but for crying out loud, use a hospital!!!
  • I think if they were really concerned with the health/welfare of their child, they'd be having the baby in a medical facility of some sort. 

if you have the baby at home, you're more likely to give birth on the toilet.... just ask Anna Duggar. 
  • I checked in at L&D with a "Hi!  I'm here for my epidural!" - Their reply was "don't you mean to have a baby?" and I replied "I can have the baby in a barn, I can only get an epidural here!

How people still do home births is BEYOND me!!!  (I'm a hypnotist, I get the whole wanting to go "natural" hoopla, but you can still go natural without any interventions at a hospital AND you can check yourself out after a short time with your baby when you're done, just like a birth center!  I can't imagine having the mess to deal with at my home nor not having that time to rest and have someone bring me two days of meals post partum...)

• ahhh! This makes me so mad.  I think the idea of a home birth is fine.. everyone should have that opportunity if that is what they want.  I am a little 'crunchy' in the sense that I want to do a natural birth with midwives (my ideal birth).  I do want to do it in the hospital, but that is my choice.  What makes me mad is the vaccines!

I am a nurse and have researched the topic about vaccines causing harm to babies.. it is completely false.  The very few studies that have shown vaccines to cause autism or diseases had falsified data.  When repeated it could not be proven.  Then when they looked at the research data that proved it they found the scientist conducting it falsified data!

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2014
    @hmonkey...You're Asian! What gives you the right to judge white culture?!?!?!?!

(^^One of the commentors said that to the author) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards