Not Engaged Yet
Options

I'm feeling snarky today about a "proposal package"

Hi Ladies! Sorry I have been MIA this week; work was crazy. But I have been thinking of all of you!

BF and I are in the beginning stages of planning our next vacation, which would be over the Valentine's Day weekend (we have that Monday off as a company holiday). We want to stay fairly local, as it would only be a short vacation over a 3 day weekend. We were thinking about going to Los Angeles, as BF has never been and it's only a few hours driving distance away from where we live.

I was looking at hotels this morning to stay at in Los Angeles, and found a Romantic Hotels page, describing different romance packages at hotels in the area. Most are just 1 night stay with champagne and breakfast in the morning, and late check out (which is what I am looking for). And then there was this gem for a proposal package:

The Proposal of the Century is being offered through Dec. 29, 2014 and includes:
  • Private and exclusive use of The Rose Bowl Stadium, allowing the guest(s) to “Pop the Question” directly on the field (up to 40 friends and family can be invited to witness the moment)
  • Use of the Rose Bowl video message board to illuminate a personal "Marry Me" message and/or photo collage of the couple during their private engagement experience at the Stadium
  • Engagement photographer and videographer to document the proposal experience
  • Private serenade for the participating couple, presented by the 40-piece Pasadena Symphony Orchestra, and performed directly on the Rose Bowl field
  • Handcrafted, custom designed engagement ring featuring a 2.50 carat cushion cut diamond (retail value $35,000)
  • Chauffeur-driven transportation between the Rose Bowl Stadium and The Langham Huntington via Bentley Flying Spur sedan
  • Two-night stay in The Langham Huntington’s 3,200 square-foot Tournament of Roses Presidential Suite
  • In-suite VIP amenities
  • Romantic four-course dining experience with wine pairings provided by The Royce Wood-Fired Steakhouse 
  • Daily breakfast for two, in-room or at The Terrace
  • Dedicated Langham Engagement Coordinator to assist in planning everything from the marriage proposal to the entire romantic getaway 

That's all well and nice, but the final cost of this package is $100,000. You read that correctly. More than the cost of most weddings! (I realize that $35k of that is the ring alone, but still....$65k for the rest of it?!)

I know this is Los Angeles we are talking about, but really? It just seems so OTT and AWish. Also, I'm pretty sure most celebrities/wealthy people wouldn't even want to do this. I could be wrong, but I feel like the people who could actually comfortably afford this wouldn't do this, KWIM? For that price, why not fly to Paris or somewhere equally romantic to do it instead? I just can't with this.

Re: I'm feeling snarky today about a "proposal package"

• Options
    What's that crazy to spend that much just for a proposal.  I certainly wouldn't and I wouldn't want H to have.  

Anniversary

• Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    I feel like you could plan something just as (actually more) romantic than that for way less than $100,000.

Obviously, some people can afford it and they can do what they want with their money but I feel like if you have that kind of money to spend you could probably come up with something way better. But I'm also not a sports fan, so proposing on a football field doesn't sound romantic to me at all.

• Options
    @Peaseblossom55 I know! I would probably be quite angry at BF if he ever did that. I actually mentioned it to him this morning and we started brainstorming what that money could be better spent on (house down payment, car, vacation, etc.).

Also, I'm sorry about your kitty. It's never an easy decision to put down a pet, especially since they are part of the family, but at least they aren't suffering anymore. That thought helped me get through it twice now, and also that I had given them a loving family and a good life.

@bethsmiles I totally agree! I am a sports fan (not a die hard one but I enjoy wearing a jersey and cheering for my team now and then), and I still don't get it. I feel like if you are a sports fan, then do it on the jumbo tron during the game, and if you aren't, then what's the point?

• Options
    You know, the sad thing is that they probably offer this is as a package because so many people have come to the hotel and requested bits of it for proposals. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @eilis1228 that's a really good point. I still think a lot of it is OTT though.

• Options
    Man.  And I told Mr. Historian tonight that I'd settle for making him breakfast in bed the next time we see each other.  Obviously I need to up my game a little.

Also, if TK posts had hashtags, this would be #KUI.
  • Options
    Man.  And I told Mr. Historian tonight that I'd settle for making him breakfast in bed the next time we see each other.  Obviously I need to up my game a little.

Also, if TK posts had hashtags, this would be #KUI.
    Breakfast in bed is pretty much the best thing ever!

And TK actually does use hashtags :)

• Options
    I can think of way more romantic ways to spend 100 grand.  Like...a house.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options
    That sounds an awful lot like what I heard Kanye did for Kim K. And That says it all. 
  • Options
    AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    @lilack28 OMG you are completely right! At least the stadium part of it. And the rest is probably a "this is what they probably did afterwards".

I really hate that they have such an influence on our society.

ETA: I had to actually look up their proposal to see what you were talking about, because I don't follow them, at all.

• Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014
    I don't follow them, per say, but I have an E news app on my phone... so they get mentioned a lot . And it's always sending me alerts. One of these days I'll remember to turn those off!  

In general, I find them annoying/ entertaining. I don't actively dislike them, but I don't really see them as influencing society or fashion much. At least, not the people I know? 

They're more like... the butt of jokes that most people will laugh at. 
  • Options
    I guess I have been getting extra annoyed at them lately because of Kim's pictures being released. Many of my Facebook friends were more interested in those than the success of the Rosetta mission. Which had me shaking my head at all of them.

• Options
    I cannot imagine having the disposal income to afford this! Besides the fact, this kind of proposal would turn me off. I don't understand why proposals have become such extravagant things. Personally, the most memorable and meaningful part of a proposal is when your man asks to have the honor of spending the rest of his life with you. How much more romantic can it get than that? I would feel super awkward to have 40 of my closest friends and family watch that moment with an entire orchestra and all. So me, spending all that money kind of cheapens the whole experience. Seems more like a cheesy movie setup than real life.
  • Options
    I mean, this doesn't really shock me.

A client of mine spent WELL into the six figures to bring his girlfriend to Bora Bora, stay in the nicest five star hotel with every possible romance amenity, and then he rented out a heart shaped private island for the day, took her there by private helicopter, and proposed at sunset.

And then when they returned to said 5 star resort on Bora Bora, she was surprised to learn he flew out her parents, his parents, and their best friends to join in the festivities.  And he paid for all of their rooms, meals, and flights for 5 days.  Cha ching!
  • Options
    I mean, this doesn't really shock me.

A client of mine spent WELL into the six figures to bring his girlfriend to Bora Bora, stay in the nicest five star hotel with every possible romance amenity, and then he rented out a heart shaped private island for the day, took her there by private helicopter, and proposed at sunset.

And then when they returned to said 5 star resort on Bora Bora, she was surprised to learn he flew out her parents, his parents, and their best friends to join in the festivities.  And he paid for all of their rooms, meals, and flights for 5 days.  Cha ching!
    See if you are going to drop that kind of money on a proposal, that is the type of thing I would expect. Not a package someone picked off a hotel website.

• Options
    @loves2shop4shoes, I feel like what your client did is so much more romantic than this package though. That's what I was alluding to in my initial post; that if you had that kind of disposable income, why not travel somewhere romantic and do something similar to what your client did?

• Options
    @loves2shop4shoes, I feel like what your client did is so much more romantic than this package though. That's what I was alluding to in my initial post; that if you had that kind of disposable income, why not travel somewhere romantic and do something similar to what your client did?
    Yeah, I mean, if I had 100k+ to spend on a proposal, I'd prefer Bora Bora to LA...but that's me.  LOL.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards