Honeymoon Discussions

Suggestions for things to do on our Western Caribbean Cruise?

DH and I go on our honeymoon in a week and a half.  Yay!  We are doing a Western Caribbean Cruise, stopping in Roatan Bay, Honduras; Belize City, Belize; Costa Maya, Mexico; and Cozumel, Mexico.  We've booked half day shore excursions for two of those days: an animal preserve in Honduras (I get to pet monkeys - I love monkeys) and a Mayan Ruin tour in Costa Maya.

Has anyone been to these ports before?  Anything particular you would suggest doing or seeing, especially in Belize City and Cozumel, where we will have the full day to explore as we choose?  We'd like to hit a beach one of those days, probably Cozumel.

Thanks!

Re: Suggestions for things to do on our Western Caribbean Cruise?

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2014
    I would be very wary of an excursion that let you actually pet monkeys.  Monkey bites are very dangerous!
    Belize is famous for snorkeling.
    We took an all day excursion at Costa Maya to Kohunlich, an ancient Maya city and temple near the Belize border.  We are very into history.
    Cozumel is totally for the tourist.  Shopping or a trip to Xel-ha Park.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • DH and I went to Cozumel on our HM cruise and did a Deep Sea Trek excursion that was absolutely amazing.

You wear a new type of the dive helmet (that is like the old time ones that completely cover your head) that keep your face and hair completely dry and you just breathe normally. You go down 15-20 feet and walk along the ocean bottom holding on to rope or a railing and see all the fish. There are divers around keeping an eye on everyone and they check in with you every few minutes to make sure you are doing OK. There is also a photographer with a hi res camera taking photos and video through the entire excursion. Best of all, they limit the number of people at a time to about 8 people so it is a small group.

We got to hold a sea urchin and the guide had a bottle of fish food attached to his helmet, so schools of fish are swimming around you close enough to touch. We got some great pictures ourselves, and also bought the package of photos and video. It is one of our absolute favorite mementos of our HM.

Afterwards, you can snorkel for a while if you want. We found out when we got there that the excursion included two free drinks per person, and they were awesome. DH had a pina colada and a strawberry daquiri and I had two incredible margaritas that were STRONG. It also included a free shot of tequila per person (all drinking is after you go down).

We are going on a cruise next year that goes back to Cozumel and we are considering doing that excursion again because we enjoyed it so much.

We also want to do the animal preserve excursion in Honduras next year. I have never been there and it sounds beautiful, plus monkeys!
  • Belize City is pretty run down, you definitely want to book an excursion to get out of there, or stay on the boat. I consider it to be safe, but there really isn't much to see or do in the city. If you can get out to Ambergris-the snorkeling trips from there are great-the best reef/coral I've ever seen. They also take you to shark alley to snorkel with the rays and sharks. 

If you are seeing Mayan ruins elsewhere, I would choose snorkeling over the Belize ruins. They are less excavated than the ones in Mexico & Guatemala, so you have to use your imagination more to figure out what you are looking at! 
  • I have been to this beach several times in Cozumel: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d1862550-Reviews-Mr_Sanchos_Cozumel-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

It's a nice, laid back time. They have some water sports and we always buy an all you can eat/ drink package.

In Belize, we did cave tubing which was fun but very cold.

• It sounds like we'll be passing one another!  We sail on Sunday to Belize, Roatan and Cozumel!  Enjoy your trip!
  • For Belize I would see if they offer an excursion with ATVs or 4 wheelers (I forget the exact thing we drove). I did this a couple of years ago when our cruise ship stopped there and it was amazing. Cozumel we stayed on the beach and hit up the shops. Have fun!
  • Cozumel we did the Isla Pasion by Twister and it was awesome!!! They took us to a private beach. All inclusive and had a few shops there then back to Cozumel and shopped more
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are doing a similar itinerary in January.  :)

Roatan:  We are snorkeling, but we don't have a tour booked yet.

Belize City: We are going zip lining and cave tubing

Cozumel:  We were there last summer and did a Mini-Sub Adventure that was fun until I got sea sick...  This time we are most likely going to do Salsa, Salsa Margarata (they teach you how to make different salsas, margaritas and then how to dance the salsa).
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I'm doing a very similar cruise next summer and it is so hard to pick something to do. There are so many options and there are usually several of them that interest me!! How do you decide!!

Well have a great trip and post about it when you get back.
  • I got back from our cruise on Sunday.  In Roatan we used Bodden Tours.  A general tour of Roatan with a stop to see monkeys and a variety of gorgeous birds.  They were so fun!  In Belize we did Starfish private island getaway through the cruise line. It sucked...totally not worth it.  In Cozumel we went to Mr. Sanchos which we really enjoyed.  We rode ATVs which was more fun than I expected!
  • Glad you had a great time! I'm also glad you made it ou to Mr. Sancho's, we got married there in May and it's alot of fun.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. We had a great time on our honeymoon! I got to hold monkeys at the animal park in Honduras. The Mayan ruins at Chocchoben were amazing (a must see if you are ever near Costa Maya - not nearly as crowded as Chichen Itza, and they let you climb some of them). We ended up just wandering about in Belize City near the port and found a nice little cafe to relax and have some drinks in. Cozumel was insane, and too touristy for my taste near the port. We got to swim in the Caribbean there, but didn't make it to Mr. Sanchos because H wasn't feeling well that morning and we didn't get off the ship until noon. We figured that if we only had a couple hours there, it wasn't worth the all inclusive price and just found a restaraunt on the ocean where you could swim as well. And of course, after a week of beautiful weather I return home and got to scrape snow off my car today. Ah, well, back to reality.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards