Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Should I get a gel manicure?

Hey Ladies,

So I don't do my nails often, or even wear make-up that often, but I want to get my nails done for our engagement photos.  A bunch of friends talk about how amazing gels are, but I have thin nails already so I was afraid I would make them even worse by getting gels.  Are all gels the same?  Is there a difference between OPI or Shellac? And when they come off- how bad will my nails look?  

They LOOK amazing- and because of my thin nails, a regular manicure chips pretty fast.

Thanks!!

Re: Should I get a gel manicure?

• Options
    Shellac is just another name for the kind of polish used in a gel manicure. OPI is a common gel brand (and my personal favorite). I get semi-regular gel manicures because I destroy regular manicures within hours; gel manicures are much more durable. Since got my first gel manicure, I don't bother paying for regular manicures anymore.

So gel manicures can strip your nails a bit, but I think that's usually caused by improper removal of the gel or leaving the gel remnants on too long (just like regular polish) not the manicure itself. But seriously, one or two gel manicures for the special occasions in your life is very unlikely to do real damage to your nails. Just find a salon with a good reputation.
  • Options
    I got a gel manicure for my wedding and I'm so happy I did. I loved it. I didn't notice any damage to my nails once I had the gel removed.
  • Options
    As long as the gel is removed without harsh scraping, it shouldn't damage your nails. While the gel is on, it strengthens my nails because it cures so hard. It kept my nails from breaking or chipping the 2 days before my wedding and 2 weeks after.

Make sure you go to a salon that knows what they're doing and that they have you scrub and dry your nails thoroughly so it adheres well!

• Options
    Thanks. everyone! So sad that I'm all worried about this, but you all encouraged me to just do it! Getting my nails done this evening! :)
  • Options
    I have had problems with gel nails in the past - afterwards, I have always been left with awful, ugly, dry, peeling, nasty (need I go on?) nails, and I had myself convinced that there was no way I would get them for my wedding in July. After reading these posts, gel nails are back to being a wedding day possibility. Maybe my nails will do better if I don't keep the gel nails on as long as I have in the past?

Marley
    www.marleyjustine.com
  • Options
    I have had problems with gel nails in the past - afterwards, I have always been left with awful, ugly, dry, peeling, nasty (need I go on?) nails, and I had myself convinced that there was no way I would get them for my wedding in July. After reading these posts, gel nails are back to being a wedding day possibility. Maybe my nails will do better if I don't keep the gel nails on as long as I have in the past?

Marley
    www.marleyjustine.com

How long are you keeping them on for? I would keep them on for 2.5 weeks max.

To the bolded: are you saying yoru actual nails are damaged after you take off the gel manicure? Because there is no way to avoid that. Gels do damage your nails a bit. The strong yoru nails are, the less damaged they will be. But gels/ no chips basically bake the polish onto your nails, in what world could that possibly be good for yoru nails?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I ended up getting the gel manicure and absolutely loved the results.  I had them taken off 2 weeks later because my nails grow very fast.  When I had it taken off, I asked for a clear coat of strengthening nail polish.  My nails felt a little rough, but nothing terrible.  My nails are thin to begin with so I didn't notice a difference in strength when I had the gel taken off.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards