California-San Diego
Options

RECEPTION venue HELP!

hi everyone!!! 
I am trying to plan a October 2012 wedding and I only have 8 months to do it all.... eek!  I have been having a terrible time finding a ceramony/reception venue and would love any advice.  I wanted something rustic and private where I could bring in my own outside food caterer & have music.  I was orginally looking at private estates that would host weddings but I havent had any luck.  I am looking anywhere from San Diego-Huntington Beach-to Malibu...basically anywhere in southern CA at this point.  If anyone has any personal refferals I would LOOOOVE them.  Our party will be small, mostly family and between 75-90 people.  Thanks!!! :)

Re: RECEPTION venue HELP!

• Options
    No specific referrals, but herecomestheguide.com saved my life when looking for venues!  It tells capacity size, whether or not you can bring in food and alcohol, hours, general pricing.  The great thing about it is that it has it for all major areas in southern California.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker weddingpreview
  • Options
    OP, what is your budget?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I dont want to go over $3,000 for the esate for the night (without any rentals)
  • Options
    Have you checked out Southern California Wedding Compass?
    http://www.weddingcompass.com/DisplaySearchResults.cfm?STYPE=Location&ByViewType=Estate/Mansion

They have some gorgeous private estates and mansions listed! Unfortunately this website doesn't list prices so I don't know if any of these would fit into your budget. It's worth a phone call though if you find someplace you like. 

I once saw a post by a bride on here who found her private estate venue through a website that listed vacation rentals. She talked to the owner and s/he was okay with holding the wedding there. I think she had about 80 guests. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I am getting married next month (eek!) at the Garty Pavilion at the San Diego rowing club.  Right on the water in Mission Bay.  You can bring in your own catering, booze, music, pretty much anything and the people are so nice and helpful there.  Its a beautiful space with lots of parking :) 
  • Options
    Try the Thursday Club in San Diego. They do have preferred vendors though.
  • Options
    marina village! they allow any caterer.. the bayview room looks pretty rustic. I really considered that room. its totallllllly DIY so its a lot of work but you get to chose everything yourself :)
  • Options
    Oh i just saw you want private.. ya there isn't a lot of privacy at marina village... let me look through my emails. I keep getting emails about private estates that seem to be a good price. have you looked at the thursday club? or the women's clubs?
  • Options
    I'm considering Marina Village for my reception. tammyencinas, is that where your reception will be? Would love to hear about your experience with them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tammyencinastammyencinas member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    hi there! im getting married in october in the baja room. I liked marina village because we didnt have to really limit the number of guests because the price is the same no matter how many guests. Also, we can bring our own caterer and alchohol. We are going to play flip cup and beer pong too and they allow that. I hadnt found any other venue that would accomodate all the things I wanted. Its A LOT of work because Im doing everything myself but its worth it because the things I want are pretty particular. they have a ceremoney site available too but we are doing sunset cliffs.  :) hope that helps.. when is your wedding?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_reception-venue-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:64Discussion:ed6ab774-8b22-4ae5-8d19-a8117232a5a9Post:5decc8d4-da7e-42ff-b784-29908547f814">Re: RECEPTION venue HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]hi there! im getting married in october in the baja room. I liked marina village because we didnt have to really limit the number of guests because the price is the same no matter how many guests. Also, we can bring our own caterer and alchohol. We are going to play flip cup and beer pong too and they allow that. I hadnt found any other venue that would accomodate all the things I wanted. Its A LOT of work because Im doing everything myself but its worth it because the things I want are pretty particular. they have a ceremoney site available too but we are doing sunset cliffs.  :) hope that helps.. when is your wedding?
    Posted by tammyencinas[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Hi! :) Our wedding is not 'til June 2013. I am looking at venues now so that I can get an idea re: pricing. I want to make sure that I have enough money saved up for when it comes time to book. Sunset Cliffs is our top ceremony spot! I am liking Marina Village for its price, location, and flexibility to bring in your own vendors. </div><div>
    </div><div>I would love to talk to you sometime about your planning since it seems like we might end up with the same venues! Also to be honest I'm really excited to find another bride who wants to play beer pong at her wedding. LOL. I'm sure you are busy with life and planning but if you have a free moment and wouldn't mind sharing some tips with me, I would really appreciate it! I don't know how PM's work but I'm sure I could figure it out. :)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tammyencinastammyencinas member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I tried to pm you a while back because you mentioned the lottery in a post and i had a question about it but  i dont know if you got it. You can email me at tammyencinas@gmail.com if you have any questions! I have lists upon lists upon lists of info haha
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_california-san-diego_reception-venue-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:64Discussion:ed6ab774-8b22-4ae5-8d19-a8117232a5a9Post:2a69963b-8a8f-4560-b178-3dab4457c24e">Re: RECEPTION venue HELP!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I tried to pm you a while back because you mentioned the lottery in a post and i had a question about it but  i dont know if you got it. You can email me at tammyencinas@gmail.com if you have any questions! I have lists upon lists upon lists of info haha
    Posted by tammyencinas[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I just read your PM - sorry! Sent you one back. :)

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you want something rustic, I suggest checking out 2 places.

1) Condor's Nest Ranch  http://www.thecondorsnestranch.com/ This place in SD is pretty famous for high end country chic weddings

2) Strawberry Farms http://www.strawberryfarmsgolf.com/ This is in the OC.  They have a huge barn that looks great in pics & there's no minimum except Saturdays.

I also know some great Malibu hillside estates with beautiful ocean views if you're interested in that route.
  • Options
    Try the Thursday Club! My wedding is April 6 there. It is sooo beautiful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards