Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

How much is too much?

Dessert...seriously I could eat dessert all day everyday but as an adult I can't do this haha but we are planning on having cupcakes instead of a wedding cake and my mom loves the idea of having a pie table (which fits perfectly because we are getting married on a blueberry farm!) but then I also wanted a late night food option (so people aren't super wasted and starving) I was thinking of having a s'mores bar but would this be too much sweetness for some people? I don't think I can have unbiased opinion since I seriously love sugar =)

any opinions?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How much is too much?

• Options
    You should have something savory with your late night snack as well, or salty. I think you're fine though

Says the girl who had cake, a cookie bar, milkshakes and a chocolate fountain.

Anniversary
  • Options

I'm probably going to be the odd duck out, but skip the smores...  We were just at a wedding that had these for the favors and TBH the marshmallows had COMPLETELY turned to hockey pucks in the little bags such that not even the kids would eat them.  Also if your guests are wasted, chances are giving them food is only going to serve to give them more to yack up later. 

IMO - just order extra cupcakes...

• Options
    Thanks! Marshmallows are one of those tricky things that probably have no expiration date on the bag and just turn to stone or mush haha so good point! I did just have something called frito pie and it was ahmazing maybe we could do that instead And how did you do milkshakes that sounds fantastic! All I wanted when I was pregnant was chocolate milkshakes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would do salty/savory but light as your late night snack.  We put out a popcorn bar and had different toppings set out (cheese, garlic salt, salt/pepper/, m$ms).  We also had cupcakes instead of cake!
  • Options
    That's a cute idea popcorn!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I thought it was awesome!  (popcorn is my favorite food, so i'm totally biased)

It went over well though, and it was nice to have something salty to snack on while drinking!  
  • Options
    I love sweets.  Would I like all that stuff?  For sure.  But there are SOME people who don't care much for sweets.  Keep the cupcakes and the pie.  I personally would skip the s'mores though and have something a little more substantial and savory as a late night snack.  I know most of the people in my crowd tend to gravitate more towards salty/greasy/cheesy after a night of booze rather than sweet (especially if people are already drinking sweeter drinks like rum or whiskey and coke, vodka cranberry, etc.). If you wanted both sweet and savory represented, you could do something like fries and milkshakes or soft pretzels (do half with salt, half with cinnamon sugar) and have a variety of dipping sauces (mustard and cheese for the savory, icing and chocolate for the sweet).
  • Options
    @coreyq22 we are doing 4 flavors of cake (one of which is a tres leche) and also doing a s'mores bar for a late night snack. One of the PPs cautioned against the marshmallows getting hard - we aren't handing our s'mores supplies out as favors, they will just come out with the rest of the s'mores bar later in the evening. We have a pretty heavy dinner so we didn't see a problem with not serving a more savory option later in the evening - we know some people might not eat cake so would like another sweet snack, and we also know some people will eat cake AND s'mores :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ok thank you! We are going to do something else for the favors (not sure what though) as long as we open the marshmallows the day of they should be fine (I'm assuming it won't be 100 degrees that day fingers crossed) are you planning on having a bonfire or trying to do it on a table? I don't think we are allowed to have a fire on site so I was trying to think of some way to do it on the tables that would be safe?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I may be in the minority, but I think s'mores are a terrible, trendy idea for a wedding.  They're messy, sticky, a pain in the ass to make, and honestly not that great.  Especially at a wedding when I'm dressed up.  Idk - just my opinion.  I just don't get the appeal. 
  • Options
    cafarrie said:
    I may be in the minority, but I think s'mores are a terrible, trendy idea for a wedding.  They're messy, sticky, a pain in the ass to make, and honestly not that great.  Especially at a wedding when I'm dressed up.  Idk - just my opinion.  I just don't get the appeal. 
    Well, then I'm in the minority with you.  At a campfire after a long day of hiking or fishing?  For sure.  In my dress clothes?  Nope.

OP, the roasting over a campfire is the best part.  And now your latest post says you're not even having a fire and you're trying to figure out a way to do it indoors on a table?  So, over a can of sterno or a bunsen burner?  I think you're trying too hard to force a trend.  Why not have s'mores cookies and milk available if you're hell bent on chocolate and marshmallows.  It'd be way less messy and then no bottle neck for people trying to melt their marshmallow.

http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/smores-cookies-tracy-pollan
    http://therecipecritic.com/2014/06/gooey-smores-cookies/
    http://www.sweetpaulmag.com/food/my-happy-dish-smores-cookies-from-downtown-cookie-co
  • Options
    I didn't want to do s'mores as a trend I just like them I haven't checked on the fire outside with the venue we choose but all the other venues we looked at would let you do that. I recently went to a restaurant that had s'mores over a PuPu platter so ya not as fun but pretty cute. We are having both a tent and we have outdoor space as well to use for yard games and potentially this s'mores stuff. I was just thinking if we couldn't have a raging fire if anyone knew of a cute way to make them on a table. Sternos are full of chemicals so I would never consider that an option
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    @coreyq22 We aren't allowed to have open flames in our venue. So we are doing a "modified s'mores bar." 

For those that think it's a trendy thing - ours is nothing about a trend and everything about us liking marshmallows and chocolate and offering a "different" dessert. We also kept in mind the messy aspect so as I said before we modified ours. We aren't displaying signs that scream "SMORES BAR!!", it will just be brought out later and guests can help themselves.

We are modifying - no open flames, no campfire - by doing it as a kind of chocolate fondue. We will have different marshmallows (regular, coconut, strawberry) on toothpicks or serving sticks (undecided right now) and different chocolates to dip them in (milk chocolate, white chocolate, nutella), then different toppings that they can roll their marshmallows in (sprinkles, nuts, crushed graham crackers, etc). We will also have pre-prepared graham cracker sandwiches with marshmallow fluff, that they can dip in the same manner as the marshmallows.

If guests think it's a messy trend and don't enjoy it, that's fine, they aren't required to eat it by any means. But for us, it was a fun treat to offer - especially when our venue was rather limiting on items we could serve.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards