Chit Chat

Nail care? lacqueredlover, I'm looking at you!

edited November 2014 in Chit Chat
I directed this at @lacqueredlover because I know she's into nails, but any and all advice is appreciated!

I got my nails done (acrylics put on) for our engagement pics two weeks ago, and now it's time for the fill in. I really can't afford to keep up the acrylic nails since we're saving for the wedding, and all in all, I don't really care for the acrylics because I know they just damage your real nails and every so often you have to take them off completely and put on a new set (which costs even more money). Really the only reason I got them done was because I got bored and bit off all my real nails before our pictures, and I didn't want my hands looking like a 5 year old's.

Sooo is there a painless way to just take the acrylics off?
And do any of you know of what to do to help heal my real nails that were filed down (on the top) when the acrylics were put on?
What can I do to strengthen my real nails in general?

ETA: I started taking biotin about a week ago. I hope that helps some with nail growth/strentgh.
Anniversary

Re: Nail care? lacqueredlover, I'm looking at you!

• Go to the salon and insist on them soaking them off.  Don't let them pop them off! (OOOOWWW)

They're going to be wrecked until they grow out (mine finally seem to be gone now - from August!).

If you cover them, just put regular polish on - NOT gel.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• luckya23 said:

Go to the salon and insist on them soaking them off.  Don't let them pop them off! (OOOOWWW)

They're going to be wrecked until they grow out (mine finally seem to be gone now - from August!).

If you cover them, just put regular polish on - NOT gel.

I know this is true, and it makes me sad. boooo. 
    Anniversary

• Definitely biotin like you are doing. I would also apply nail strengthening polish. After that, all you can do is wait.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Get thee to Sally's.

Get some good, mild hand lotion and/or nail care cream. Get a bottle of pure acetone, and some cotton pads (the less fluffy, the better), maybe an orange stick too.  Get some cheapo spa gloves.

Get some kind of big glass/ceramic bowl you don't care too much about. Doesn't have to be huge, just enough to rest your nails in. Remove the polish first, then submerge your fingertips in enough acetone. 20 minute intervals. When they start getting loose, gently start pushing around on them with the orange stick.

Once that's all done, wash your hands really well, and then just go HAM on your hands with that nail care cream and hand lotion, and then put the gloves on. Acetone is going to make the shit super dry, so you need to offset it with all that stuff.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• edited November 2014
    beethery said:
    Once that's all done, wash your hands really well, and then just go HAM on your hands with that nail care cream and hand lotion, and then put the gloves on. Acetone is going to make the shit super dry, so you need to offset it with all that stuff.

Will definitely hit up Sally's after work. Are you familiar with the Silk Hands thing from Mary Kay? (I
    may have traded dildos for makeup products when trying to close my Pure Romance business haha) I wonder if that would work, and I think it came with gloves.
    Anniversary

• I soaked my last set off myself, and I vowed never to do it again - it was like an hour of time, a huge mess, and it only costs like $10 at the salon!

• edited November 2014
    beethery said:

Will definitely hit up Sally's after work. Are you familiar with the Silk Hands thing from Mary Kay? (I may have traded dildos for makeup products when trying to close my Pure Romance business haha) I wonder if that would work, and I think it came with gloves.
    **The boxes went away**

This is the best scentence ever. I want to work this into everyday conversation.
  • If you decide to do the soak off at home use a file to go around the edge and see if you can "break the seal" so that acetone can get under the acrylic too it takes awhile but then soak, file/orange wood stick, soak, file/orange wood stick until it's all gone.  Also if you put vaseline around the nail and on your fingers it will help protect from the acetone wrecking your skin/cuticles.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I used to get acrylics all the time and then I realized how much money I was spending on them. Also, they destroyed my nails and just looked bad on me. They look great on my BFF though.

Anyways, soak them in pure acetone and use lots of lotions.

I have found that my nails grow better if I keep them polished a filed regularly. I think it is because I'm trying to not mess up the polish.

• beethery said:

Will definitely hit up Sally's after work. Are you familiar with the Silk Hands thing from Mary Kay? (I may have traded dildos for makeup products when trying to close my Pure Romance business haha) I wonder if that would work, and I think it came with gloves.
    This is the best scentence ever. I want to work this into everyday conversation.

-----------------------------------------
    boxes?

What can I say? I'm a business woman. Do what you gotta do. haha
    Anniversary

• Seriously, spend the money and go to the salon. You won't save anything buying the stuff you need and they know how to minimize damage. Skip your Starbucks this week, it's totally worth it. 
  • Seriously, spend the money and go to the salon. You won't save anything buying the stuff you need and they know how to minimize damage. Skip your Starbucks this week, it's totally worth it. 
    Any idea how long it will take if they do it at the salon? If it's still going to take an hour, I'd rather just sit at my house and do it myself. At least then I can do it with no pants on.
    Anniversary

• The soaking is a similar amount of time, but they will scrape it off with their sander dremel thing so that part is super quick.  They also first take off some layers with the sander thing so the nail is thinner to soak off quicker.  They can also leave a very thin layer on to protect the nail while it grows out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards