Getting in Shape

Cold Weather Indoor Exercises

Hi all,

I'm thinking ahead to colder weather when I can't walk outside and can't get to the gym. Does anybody have any indoor workout suggestions? Also, I live in an apartment so I can't do a lot of crazy jumping or anything or I will annoy the heck out of my downstairs neighbors! Any strength or cardio exercise suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Cold Weather Indoor Exercises

• Also, I'm willing to buy some equipment to facilitate the workouts as long as it's nothing crazy. Maybe $40ish.
  • Buy a set of dumbbells - 5 or 10 lbs- depending on your current strength. There are lots of Youtube videos with at-home workouts using just dumbbells or floor exercises using your own body weight. I did this with to prep for my wedding, and had good success. 
    Remember that just working out is not going to help you lose weight. You always have to combine it with healthy eating. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • I second buying dumbbells.... also push-ups are quiet, quick, and work your whole body. 

I recommend also looking on-demand in the fitness section... depending what your cable provider is, usually there are 3-15 minute segments to get little workouts in. Fitness DVDs are also pretty good.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Thanks for the ideas! And, yep, I'm trying to eat healthy and using mfp to track! Just need to plan ahead for when getting to the gym isn't possible. 
  • If you need to reduce the sound of jumping, try buying those puzzle piece gym mats.  I got them for a workout DVD and it reduced the impact quite a bit.  They are also good for sit ups and push ups.  
  • Interesting! I hadn't heard puzzle piece gym mats. Thanks for the tip!
  • Deck of cards workout. Assign an exercise to each suit (push-ups, tricep kickbacks, bicep curls, shoulder raises, squats, lunges, jumping jacks, burped, etc etc) and then you pick a card based and do the # on the card. So 5 of Hearts could be 5 jumping jacks, 10 of Spades 10 squats, and so on.
  • Check out the Tone it Up videos! They're these two (sometimes annoyingly bikini clad, lol) women who make amazing workout videos and have a nutrition plan and all that. I don't do the nutrition plan, but I do their workouts! They even have a HIIT (high intensity interval training) video that's good for apartments :)https://www.youtube.com/user/ToneItUpcom
  • I really enjoyed P90X for a while, but have since changed up my routine. It was great to be able to do the routine in my house. There was definitely some jumping, but not in every workout. 

I am a big fan of weight lifting. Pick up some dumbells. You don't need an entire set, but find some that are heavy enough to actually build some muscle. (You'll want to pick them up in the store and see what works for you for a variety of exercises.) I weight lift several times a week before cardio and am really pleased with the results. You could also include some good old pushups. 

Pilates is also a great option. I've been taking some classes that include using a Bosu ball or a stability ball that really rock the core muscles (but arms and legs too). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards