Wedding Invitations & Paper

When to send the invites for Jan wedding?

cat885cat885 member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited November 2014 in Wedding Invitations & Paper
Hello

My fiance and I are getting married on January 24.  And so 4 weeks before the wedding would be Christmas Eve and not the day we will be sending the invites. Some family members on his side have said that we would send the invites the day after Christmas, and my side has said before Christmas.
The RSVP date on the RSVP cards is Jan 5. My Idea is to send them a few days before Christmas so that they have enough time to respond. But is that the best way to do it?

The other thing is that my fiance and I right now live 3 hours from my parents and 2.5 from his, and almost all of the invites are going to one of the two cities, but also there are a good number going to people in states across the country and one even is going to Europe.  Should I send the invites that have to travel farther at an eirlier date?  And should I get home addresses for college students or send their ivites before they get out of school?
I am so confused, and neither side of the family has been very helpful with the wedding planning (my side has severe medical problems as do I, and so they cant really help much, and his side either doesn't actually want us to get married but is begrudgingly doing what they need to do though not really talking to us about it, or they "dont want to intrude upon his mother.") So any help I can get with this will be wonderful.
Thank you so much!!!

Kathleen

Re: When to send the invites for Jan wedding?

• You can send invites anywhere between 6-8 weeks before the wedding.  So I would send yours out either the first or second week of December. And really, by Monday you are within the 8 week window so you can really send them at any point if they are ready to go.

I would probably send the Europe one ASAP since that will take longer to get to them.  The one's in country should be fine and only take a few days to get delivered.  As for the college students you could always FB message them or call/text them to see what they prefer.

• Like @Maggie0829 said, invites are generally 6 - 8 weeks before the wedding.

You may want to keep in mind that postal service can be slower through December because of increased volume. And yeah, try to send the one for Europe ASAP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited November 2014
    I would send them out next week so they'll arrive right before or right after Thanksgiving. I would send the one that are going to Europe out yesterday : )

• Oh wow. I was told by all of his family memeber it was 4 weeks. I need to get right on this!
  • You can pretty much send these any time next week, but no later than the second week in December. You want to give people time to see if they can come, make arrangements and respond by your January 5th deadline.

For the ones going overseas, I would bring them directly to the post office and ask about your options. Sending something "airmail" is usually how you want to do it because it'll get there a lot more quickly. When I was living in Spain, my family sent me a card and just sent it "ground" or whatever the default option is. I got it 2 months later. Oops. Anything they sent "airmail" after that got to me in a couple weeks tops.
    *********************************************************************************

• cat885 said:
    Oh wow. I was told by all of his family memeber it was 4 weeks. I need to get right on this!

If it takes a month to get there, that will still leave them a week to RSVP. You're still safe.

• Because you are going to be dealing with increase in mail due to holiday cards, I would mail them out probably in the next two weeks. This way your guests will get them before they start to get slammed with Christmas cards & your invite doesn't get overlooked as a Christmas Card. And also you'll get your RSVP back hopefully more promptly because your delivery of getting those back may also be slowed down due to the Christmas mail increase. Get people to think about your wedding before they end up in a holiday haze & think, I'll get to that later & then you're making tons of calls "are you coming/"  Also mail the ones to Eurpose immediately, those can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks to be delivered depending on how remote of a city the individual lives in. Also make sure to get those weighed for each address as the cost to different countries can vary.

• Don't put a stamp on the RSVP card that in the invitation going to Europe.  US postage won't work to get it back.  I think you're okay with mailing it the same time you mail all the rest of them, but I'd also send them an email letting them know you sent them an invite in the mail and they should let you know if they don't get it in a couple weeks.  Tell them you can scan the invite and send it to them and they can just RSVP by email or skype so they don't have to deal with airmail twice.

• youll want to send them before christmas... aim for the first week of december. that it doesnt get over looked as a christmas card.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards