Wedding Party

Wedding Colors

Did anyone have to change your colors because your FI didn't like them? We are doing a rustic themed wedding in September so I wanted to do Navy and Burgundy the issue I am having is my sister (MOH) has gorgeous red hair, my FI is a redhead, and his brother (BM) is a redhead. My wedding dress is ivory and I wanted to wear a burgundy ribbon around my waist, my FI isn't crazy about the colors I have chosen. I feel like my clan of redheads would like best in Navy but will it look weird if I wear burgundy and they all wear Navy and then the rest of the bridal Party is in burgundy?

I am not great at figuring this matching stuff out any advice?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Colors

• Coreyq22 said:

Did anyone have to change your colors because your FI didn't like them? We are doing a rustic themed wedding in September so I wanted to do Navy and Burgundy the issue I am having is my sister (MOH) has gorgeous red hair, my FI is a redhead, and his brother (BM) is a redhead. My wedding dress is ivory and I wanted to wear a burgundy ribbon around my waist, my FI isn't crazy about the colors I have chosen. I feel like my clan of redheads would like best in Navy but will it look weird if I wear burgundy and they all wear Navy and then the rest of the bridal Party is in burgundy?

I think this is the definition of over thinking. Your colors sound lovely, your family sounds lovely. Redheads look good in navy and you can wear whatever you want. Have fun!
    *********************************************************************************

• thank you! I am not good at this stuff so I probably am over thinking it like always
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • As a redhead, I can assure you that they will look great in navy. I also think your color scheme sounds really pretty. No worries!
  • Why have you chosen the colors without his input? It's his wedding too.
    This is what I was going to say. You need to sit down with your FI and talk to him about this stuff before you just make decisions, and then you have to back-track later cuz he doesn't like the decisions you've made without his input. This wedding is about the TWO of you. 

Aside from that, your colors sound pretty. I don't think it will be weird at all to have a mix of two different colors. And wearing a burgundy sash on an ivory dress sounds totally gorgeous! 
  • We did make the decision together but then when I asked him which one he wanted to wear he didn't like it I don't think he realized he would be wearing a color
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Coreyq22 said:
    We did make the decision together but then when I asked him which one he wanted to wear he didn't like it I don't think he realized he would be wearing a color
    lol well maybe ask him what he wants to wear then. Everything is a color. Does he want to just wear plain black? Black and burgundy still go together. And you could still do navy details, like navy font on your invitations and stuff like that. Sometimes guys don't really "get" this stuff, so the more you talk him through it and get his ideas, the better. And if I were you, I'd let him go ahead and pick whatever he wants to wear. It's his wedding too, and I'm sure you got to pick whichever dress you wanted, ya know what I mean? 
  • He did give me guidelines for my dress which I followed (not in some crazy controlling way) he originally said something about pinstripes which I said no too I just don't like that look but other than that it's up to him I figured the only color accent he would wear would be a tie the rest of it is up to him and men's warehouse
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Bubblegum5586Bubblegum5586 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014
    I think the navy dresses (and suits?) with burgundy accents (flowers, ties etc) with you wearing a burgundy sash would look great and tie everything together nicely.

image  image

image  image

Anniversary
  • I never thought of navy suits may I'll suggest that to him thanks for the inspiration!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did navy suits and they looked great. 
  • Those colors are great together for. Fall wedding having two coordinTing colors has become very populR I think it'll look great!! I'm doing bright coral and bright turquoise girls in one guys in the other it really looks nice in pics with more than one color and accents of them
  • Maybe they could wear navy and you could pull in the burgundy with the boutonnieres and bouquets?  Or maybe printed ties so it is not too much burgundy?  Here are some inspiration pictures:
    Rustic Washington wedding | Photo by Kate Price Photography | Read more -  http://www.100layercake.com/blog/?p=71472
    Something different for the groom... Lauren & Bryn’s New Zealand Garden Wedding
    navy groomsmen
    But I'd like to say that some redheads can definitely wear burgundy.  Examples:
  • As a redhead, I can say we look great in both navy and burgundy.  Burgundy is pretty much a jewel tone - jewel tones look great on redheads! 
  • This is basically the same thing that I'm doing for my wedding. Navy suits, burgundy ties and burgundy bridesmaids dresses. I am excited for it to come together. You're wedding party will look great!
  • Coreyq22 said:

What does your fiance want? I understand wanting some colors, but I guess I would never pick "wedding colors" without consulting my fiance first to find out what he wants. Navy and burgundy are lovely colors, especially with ivory, but if he hates one or both of those colors, I think you need to compromise. What does your fiance want to wear? Navy? Black? Also, I'm not a redhead, but it seems like redheads look gorgeous in so many colors, including black, that it seems odd to pick navy just because you think that's the best color for "a clan of redheads". 
  • Coreyq22 said:
    We did make the decision together but then when I asked him which one he wanted to wear he didn't like it I don't think he realized he would be wearing a color

I suggested deep purple/gold/ivory, and H (then FI) was concerned about the purple, because he didn't want the guys to have to wear it.

I told him they could wear normal black tuxes or suits with black ties, and they would go with anything.

You can pick BM dress colors without having the whole WP in that scheme. You can also incorporate any colors you like into other aspects of your wedding.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards