New York-Hudson Valley

Vendor Suggestions??? Fall 2015

edited November 2014 in New York-Hudson Valley
So I;m having trouble looking for a venue that doesn't cost a fortune. I'm looking for something in preferably the Rockland/Orange County area but I'm willing to expand. My budget is 11-15k. We will have 85-100 guests. Preferably with some stuff included but if not it's not a big deal. Obviously if the place is less then hat i anticipated that's great too. 

Thank you ladies so much!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Vendor Suggestions??? Fall 2015

• vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014

11-15 is your budget for the entire wedding or for the venue?  

If that is for the venue, I would think you should have no problem finding a place.   What type of place are you looking for?  

I had mine at Bear Mountain's Overlook Lodge. I believe that is Orange County.  We had 75 guests and it was about $10K.  (After tips/taxes etc it came to about $135pp).  This was for a Friday night.  Cake, cocktail hour (8 passed hors d'oeuvres and 2 stations I believe), 2 entree choices, salad, sorbet, open bar. 

Anthony's Pier 9 would definitely be in your budget.  Pougheepsie Grand in Dutchess County does a nice job, I've gone to a few weddings there.  They are related to the Grandview, which is gorgeous right on the river but a bit more pricey. 

• I think Anthony's Pier 9 is within your budget.  They are connected with The Grandview I believe- which is how I heard of them.  The Grandview was out of our budget so they referred us to Anthony's Pier 9.  We didn't get a chance to tour it, though.  

I'm getting married at Cortlandt Colonial Manor- which is definitely within your budget, but on the other side of the river in Northern Westchester.  I think we are spending 10-12k for our venue for 150-175 guests.  It includes everything and they have been wonderful to work with so far.  Evan is really all about making your vision happen.  They were featured on 4 weddings.
  • edited November 2014
  • 11-15 is for the venue. I'd like to get some stuff included in that like the food costs just to simplify it lol. We are actually looking at Bear Mountain Inn right after the holidays. My fiancé and I are both in love with it (we grew up near there). How was your experience with them?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KK, My fiancé and I actually both had our proms at Anthony's Pier 9 lol. So we crossed that one off. But the Cortlandt Colonial Manor sounds really nice. I'm going to check them out. Thank you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @knottie64077606 - I loved Bear Moutain!  The food was great, the staff were all friendly and accomodating I was very happy with how our wedding turned out.  It was a rainy day but we still got some amazing outdoor pictures because it is so gorgous there!       The price included everything - food, drinks, linens, cake (which comes from Homestyle Bakery in Peekskill and was SO good!)  I didn't add any of the upgrades on, but they offer them. I found them to be too expensive, it didnt' seem worth it.   I went with the Overlook Lodge because of the size of our wedding - the Inn would have been too large.  They also have the Merry-Go-Round which is cool, but they only do buffet in there, which i didnt want and i didnt like the layout.

It was the only place I went to look at (after a ton of online searching) and it was exactly what I was looking for.  

• @knottie64077606- Oh haha! Good reason to cross it off your list!

As for Cortlandt Colonial Manor, it's a pretty nice location. I wasn't "in love" with it at first sight, but Evan walked us through everything and after we heard the pricing and what was included, we were sold.  He also does a free tasting before you book which is amazing and unheard of.  The best part is you don't have to make any decisions or Cocktail Hour- everything is included and it's a lot of food! You also get a signature cocktail (he mentioned an apple cider cocktail which sounded amazing) and he used to be a pastry chef and he makes the cakes on location.  Also, he owns the Holiday Inn Express Peekskill and offers a free shuttle for your guests, and if you book over 30 nights, you get a free honeymoon suite the night of your wedding.   It's definitely worth a look! Also, Evan said they are doing renovations in their ballroom in January for 2 weeks so after that it will look updated.  And the ballroom is equipped with up-lighting in whatever color you want. And lastly (sorry- there are just so many things included) the price he quotes you includes gratuity.  

They offer a few different packages, we actually went with a higher package which includes international coffee hour (espresso/cappuccino/cordials/Italian cookies) and he offered that if I wanted to do a fall dessert table, I could pick up my own items and he would put them out on display (so he wouldn't have to charge me extra) so we might do cider donuts from a local orchard, along with pies and other fall treats! 

He even has a pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/cortcolonial/

• @jenni1221 The Merry Go Round is my dream location. From pictures at least lol. I'm going to visit soon. I was so nervous about the cake cause i've never heard of the bakery so you have me extremely excited! How was the food? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kk111415 Thank you so much for all of that info it really helps! I'm deff going to check it out! If you have anymore info please let me know I really appreciate it!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @jenni1221 The Merry Go Round is my dream location. From pictures at least lol. I'm going to visit soon. I was so nervous about the cake cause i've never heard of the bakery so you have me extremely excited! How was the food? 

I liked the idea of the merry go round until I got there.   The way they described the set up to me, tables would be placed around the merry go round.  I felt it would be crowded and anyone in the back wouldn't have a view of the dance floor so I opted against it. 

The bakery has been around forever, they are really great.  I showed the owner a couple pictures of what I wanted and she was like no problem and made it.  The cake tasted delicious!  we got the cannoli filling which was sooo so good.  

The food was really good...mostly from what I heard since the day is such a whirlwind and so much is going on that I really didn't even get to eat much.  Since we were taking pics during cocktail hour I didn't get to try most of them but told there was plenty and it was all good.   Even the simplest sounding hors d'oeuvres  were so nicely presented (mini sliders, so cute!)   when we went for the tasting the chef personally comes out to serve it and explain it to you.  It was just all a very good experience.  

Most weddings around here I've been to are all the same, banquet hall type facility.  they will give you a ton of food and extras but it just wasn't what I wanted.  Bear Mountain was exactly what I was wanting. 

• We also checked out the Grand View in Poughkeepsie.  It might be around the same price as Bear Mountain... I can't remember what I was quoted but they ended up being our second choice.  It's a beautiful venue overlooking the hudson- very grand (no pun intended)   

The venues I looked at were

1. The Grandview
    2. The Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
    3. Cortlandt Colonial Manor
    4. Bear Mountain Overlook Lodge
    5. Full Moon Resort

Out of the four, I didn't like the Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel because the woman who gave us the tour brought us into the room where a wedding was being held.  I felt it was really inappropriate and I would probably be annoyed if I had a wedding and strangers were walking around.  I also used to work for a wedding venue in Long Island and the smell of catering halls just grosses me out- and the Poughkeepsie Grand smelt bad.  The hotel however, is nice.  

The Grandview (which is connected with the Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel) was immaculate.  I really couldn't find anything wrong with the place.  They offer trolleys to get from the venue to the hotel, Shadows on the Hudson is right next door if you do an after party, and it's just a beautiful view of the Hudson.  The only thing I didn't like was you had to go to a tasting that was like going to a mini wedding.  That part didn't feel personal.  But the rest did.  The woman I toured with set up tours only when there aren't any weddings going on- which I really liked.

Cortlandt Colonial I've said enough about.  It didn't have a "wedding factory" vibe to me at all.  The loads of food and extras just make your life easier.  No worrying about picking all of your food.  And it's a family owned restaurant, so they treat every wedding differently.  He will help create a your "perfect" wedding and when you sit down with him he immediately asks "So what your vision for your wedding day?" He gives you his cell phone number so you can reach him at all hours of the day to run an idea by him or answer questions.  It felt so personal, which I didn't get from other places.  

Bear Mountain was my "dream" venue.  I had a date and idea in my mind and when I would dream of my wedding- it was there.  Unfortunately the space was smaller than our guest list could hold and much more expensive than we were ready to pay.  My fiance offered that we could cut back our list and have it there, but I realized that the extra money we would pay would be better used towards our honeymoon or future home.  It's a beautiful location though, and had our situation been different, I would be getting married there.  We are avid hikers and the lodge feel was what we were trying to go for.  We are however, taking our wedding photos there in the morning before our ceremony.  We want to take our bridal party on the marry-go-round for some fun photos!

Full Moon Resort- a very DIY location.  We looked into this briefly, but the guy pushed for us to get married as soon as January.  The have a rustic barn where the reception is held and it has windows (kind of strange, but beautiful regardless)  They offer a place for your family and friends to stay and a meal plan.  It's kind of a destination location, but much closer.  They had a lot of great things to offer but they were a little far for us.  

If you need other places to look at, check out this chart.

• Here are some places to check out in Rockland
    Casa Mia Manor House 
    Nyack Seaport
    New York Country Club 
    Patriot Hills 
    Paramount Country Club 
  • Nyack seaport and the view in piermont is reasonable
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards