Plus-Sized

wedding dress shopping and worried

I am going in a couple weeks to go try on wedding dresses for the first time.  I am really worried that I will not find a dress that I will like.  I am very self conscious about my body.  I have been a plus size women most of my life.  Does anyone have any advise on how to make this a fun experience?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: wedding dress shopping and worried

• Call ahead of time to make sure the stores you want to shop at have samples that might fit. I think it would be the worst feeling to get there and realize they could only hold the dresses up to you-I know I was so paranoid this would happen. If you can call/email ahead, and especially ask about specific samples that you like, some stores can order them in for you to try on in a size that would be more comfortable. Also, don't take tons of people to your appointment-it's your opinion that matters, and it can get overwhelming going into something like that feeling like you need the approval of a big group. Take your absolute nearest and dearest (I only took my mom!) and realize that no matter how the trying-on goes, you will find a dress that you'll look beautiful in on your wedding day. Good luck!
  • I am going to david's bridal, alfred anglo, and Wendy's. I have already made appointments and they all have plus size dresses. I am a traditional bride but I am not a big fan of white. but on my wedding day I want to wear white  The only people that are going with me is my parents.  I wanted it to be something special between the 3 of us.  Thanks for the help.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am going in a couple weeks to go try on wedding dresses for the first time.  I am really worried that I will not find a dress that I will like.  I am very self conscious about my body.  I have been a plus size women most of my life.  Does anyone have any advise on how to make this a fun experience?

Bring a bottle of water, and a snack.  Maybe a granola bar or something, if you are doing all three appointments on the same day.  If you have longer hair, make sure you bring a hair band, so you can put your hair up.   Those dresses get hot.   Also, you might want to wear spanx or other control top underclothes, and a strapless bra.  If you are prepared, it will make it a little more comfortable having a stranger see you in your undergarments.  Do your makeup and hair. It helps give you a better idea of how you'll actually look. (I looked horrible one day that I tried dresses on, and it made me feel frumpy in every dress). 

To make it fun, honestly, just try to relax.  If you are a cocktail drinker, have a cocktail before you go.  Just one, don't get drunk!  :)     Try on things you would NEVER consider buying. You will be surprised at how things look on you compared to how they look on the rack.   Try on lots and lots and lots of dresses, even if the size is wrong.  You can still get a feeling for how it looks on you, even if they have to clip the back closed.   

Take a deep breath and just enjoy the experience.  :)

• @ohiobride78 - Try on every silhouette even if you don't think it's right for you.  I almost went with a fit-and-flare dress which I NEVER thought I'd look good in!  If you fall something you love, it's ok to 'sleep on it' just to make sure.  IF possible - take pictures!  There was one dress I LOVED, I loved it on me in the mirror, but when I got home and looked at the pictures, it did NOT photograph well at all (the beadwork looked wonky in the photos).  Don't get stressed if you don't find your dress.  It feels like I tried on like 80 dresses before I found the one, I made appointments at a lot of shops. 

On a side note - I'm guessing you're from Ohio (Central area based on Wendy's); I'm in the Cleveland area!  If I'm correct, do NOT go to Universe Bridal (it's about 1-2 hours from Columbus); I saw a lot of girls say they had a good plus size/clearance section, the dresses are in poor condition and you'd be taking home THAT dress (makeup stains, tags cut out of them, rips/tears, etc).

Anniversary
  • I would still call a week or two ahead to at least alfred Angelo if you know which styles you want to try on-I got my dress from them and love it, but they don't have all their styles in plus size in the store available to try on (for instance, some of the styles I liked were only available in store in a bridal size 4!) you could also email their customer service, they are super responsive. I had no issues getting plus sizes shipped to the store to try on and it was a relief to go in knowing that what I loved was available. Good luck! It's going to be great.
  • If you are going to the Bridal District, I suggest Belle Bridal.  They specialize in plus size.  They make it fun and they have lots to chose from.  You will have a great time.  Make an appointment you won't be disappointed.
  • I think it's a huge bride mistake to only try on the dresses you're in love with. Try on everything your assistant brings to you. When you go in, they'll probably ask you what style you have in mind. Tell them what you like, but let them know that you are open to anything (even if you aren't...). I promise you'll find something you like, it just takes time and patience! Good luck!

• Thanks everyone for your advice.  I went to Alfred Angelo a couple weeks ago and found my gown.  I did try the dress I loved on. I had it down to that dress and another one, and picked the other one.  It wasn't that I didn't like it because I did. I picked the other one because I loved how it looked on me plus it went perfect with my moms vail I am wearing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards