Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Photographer Vent....Lurkers Take Note...

Back Story.... When FI and I first got engaged and started to set a budget for our wedding,we decided one of the things we felt should have a decent chunk of our budget was our photographer and our photography package.  I had one girl who is local to my area who's pics I just ABSOLUTELY LOVED and so we decided to book her as our photographer for an engagement session. We never could work out a day that we could meet and talk with her in person, but we did have several email and phone conversations prior to the day of the engagement session. So I felt comfortable with what we had planned and how she would execute it.

So, the day of our engagement session came, and during the entire shoot, she never really directed us.  Now, I know that with engagement shoots you want your personalities to show through, but what I'm talking about here is, she would say something like "stand here" and we would and then she would just start shooting us, with no direction after that.  So during the shoot, FI and I did feel slightly awkward, and several times throughout the shoot, FI said "should we smile?" because we literally did not know.  

Our session was in the beginning of October, and we JUST NOW got our engagement proofs back.  7 Weeks.  For engagement photos.  When she first told me that it would be that long, I thought to myself, well her photos are awesome, and she must really be taking the time to make these the best for us.  

You can imagine my surprise when I went to view our online gallery and out of 200 pictures, MAYBE 20 of them are DECENT. They are just lacking in every sense of the word, you can tell FI and I had absolutely no idea what to do in many of the poses, and there are more serious faces rather than smiling faces which is so not us, and it looks terrible. 

The silver lining is, we are having a destination wedding, and the photographer at our destination is part of our wedding package and will not be this photographer. So, we won't have to worry about this on our wedding day which is good... but I'm just in a funk about all this now.  FI and our parents have been so sweet and said that they are great, but I just seriously don't see it. Especially for the amount of money we paid her and the time we had to wait for the photos to come back. 

Sorry for such a long post, I said all of that to say this, do your homework on your photographers.  Meet them prior to having a session with them, so they can get to know you as a couple. And if there is no direction in the shoot, please ask them to tell you what to do! haha

RANT OVER!

Re: Photographer Vent....Lurkers Take Note...

• jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2014

Ditto all of this. Our wedding photographer gave us NO direction and it was terrible. Literally after every_single_shot he would ask me, the bride, "Sooo, what next?" Or "Where do you want photos now?" Or "Who do you want in this next shot?"

Seriously??? I wanted to scream, "I don't fucking know dude, YOURE the photographer." It was overwhelming. I ended up just cutting the photos off early because I couldn't stand having to direct everyone like a bridezilla.

And we got our photos back, and there are also terrible. There are very few photos of me and my bridesmaids. In many of the photos, I'm holding my bouquet way up over boobs, so it's like my head sprouting out of foliage. He should have told me to hold my bouquet lower. There's photos where a huge broken branch is hanging off the side of my bouquet. He didn't even bother saying, "Hey, lower your bouquet." Or "Hey, someone fix that branch." During the formal photos, it my bridesmaids who kept pointing things out like, "Should someone move that waterbottle on the ground next to them?"

It was terrible. Photographers shouldn't be militant assholes, but they SHOULD be directing the shoot.

• jenijoyk said:

Ditto all of this. Our wedding photographer gave us NO direction and it was terrible. Literally after every_single_shot he would ask me, the bride, "Sooo, what next?" Or "Where do you want photos now?" Or "Who do you want in this next shot?"

Seriously??? I wanted to scream, "I don't fucking know dude, YOURE the photographer." It was overwhelming. I ended up just cutting the photos off early because I couldn't stand having to direct everyone like a bridezilla.

THIS. ALL OF IT. I just kept thinking, aren't we paying you good money to tell us how to pose, and where to go, and what would look cool and all that jazz?  If I wanted to self direct my photos I would have had my mom or a friend take them. geez.

• EXACTLY! Ugh.

(Is it wrong that it actually makes me feel better I'm not the only one?)

And at least these were your engagement photos. And now you'll have a chance to tell your wedding photographer that you need/want direction (not like that should be necessary).

• jenijoyk said:

EXACTLY! Ugh.

(Is it wrong that it actually makes me feel better I'm not the only one?)

And at least these were your engagement photos. And now you'll have a chance to tell your wedding photographer that you need/want direction (not like that should be necessary).

Nope. I was hoping I wouldn't be alone! haha.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards