Destination Weddings Discussions

My first panic...

So I started looking at airfare as far out as it is published for next year (September) to get a better idea of costs for our guests (we're getting married in December).  I searched September and our resort is already sold out for September! 

I wasn't planning on doing any type of room block because we'd have to put down the deposit for it and if we didn't book the 10 rooms in the block we'd be out the money. Needless to say I sent a panicked email to my travel agent saying we definitely need to do the block.  Has anyone experienced your resort not having rooms available when you planned your wedding?

Re: My first panic...

• Where are you looking to get married? I highly doubt the entire hotel is booked, unless a group has already booked the entire hotel a special event there. It could be that the hotel simply hasn't released the rooms. I had this happen. Where I wanted my guests to stay was booked out for a large event. Ah well. We picked some place else and moved on. Sometimes there's not much you can do about it, but I wouldn't freak out too much yet. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • We're getting married at Dreams Puerto Aventuras.  They're not entirely booked for our dates yet, but there are quite a few room categories that are listed on Travelocity as "2 rooms left" or "4 rooms left" mainly the ones I'm most interested in.  

I'm not too sure how travel websites work, I don't know if they scare you into booking by making you think your options are running out, but I'm hoping this isn't an issue.
  • msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited October 2014

My guess is that they have limited released rooms. It's still pretty far in advance. Have you contacted the resort directly? They are often really helpful and can tell you what the deal is.

ETA: spelling

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • websites like Travelocity & expedia etc only have a certain number of rooms contracted at each hotel.  So when they say "only 4 rooms left" they might only have 4 rooms in their contracted block (or they might have say 10 and have already sold 6).  It really has nothing to do with the hotel's actual occupancy level. 
  • Phew.. Thanks ladies!! I feel much better now :)  I appreciate the insight!
  • Also getting married at Dreams Puerto Aventuras next month, and they do book up really early. We were not "out" the money for the deposit, it just got applied to our wedding balance. Other than the rooms we blocked out, there were no more rooms in the lower categories by March for our wedding next month. They do a ton of weddings there, so rooms get blocked off. I'd say definitely do the room block. Unless they changed the rules the deposit goes toward your wedding balance, so you don't lose the money regardless of how many rooms get booked.
  • Thank you @Sarahwins!  I actually ended up blocking the rooms and you made me feel good about that decision!! I'd love to hear about your wedding when you get back!! Has the planning gone well?

• BreMR said:
    Thank you @Sarahwins!  I actually ended up blocking the rooms and you made me feel good about that decision!! I'd love to hear about your wedding when you get back!! Has the planning gone well?

@BreMR it's gone really well! I can't believe how low-stress the planning has been. All of the stress has come from our guests lol. I'm so glad that we chose Dreams Puerto Aventuras, and hope it's as good to you as it's been to us!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards