Wedding Party
Options

Gift for soon to be step-son?

Okay, I've been racking this over in my brain and I know I want to do SOMETHING. My fiance's son will be 5 at the time of our wedding and I've been with his dad since he was 2. I'm very close with him and want to show him that he's special to my too and we're becoming a family, not just that I'm marrying his dad.

He's already going to be our ring bearer, but I want to get him something from me to show him that I care about him and love him as much as I love his dad. Any suggestions for a 5 year old boy that he may actually keep and hang onto?

Re: Gift for soon to be step-son?

• Options
    You can give him the same kind of gift that you'd give him for his birthday or Christmas. But do it in private rather than during the wedding ceremony.
  • Options

My sons, at that age, loved Legos. We helped them build the projects so it was also a gift of time and attention. As they grew, the Lego collection grew. As adults, they still enjoy the Legos, from time to time. My youngest son now buys Legos for his gf's small son.

Another gift that might appeal to a young boy and grow with him - a starter train set, if you have the space to set it up.

I would try to gear the gift toward your FSS's interests.

• Options
    I don't have a step-child, but my mom married my step-dad when I was 9. My step-dad gave me a beautiful little ruby ring (it's my birthstone) and explained that he was part of our family. I really loved that gift, and still wear it (I used to wear it with one of those little attachments to make rings smaller, I am blanking LOL). Now your step-son to be is 5, and a boy! I would give him something special that he might get for a birthday or a holiday. If you want to give him something meaningful and significant that he might hang on to and reflect on later in life, maybe give that to him too (even though he might not "get" it now). Hope that helps, sorry for the ramble!
  • Options
    I am gaining a step son and a step daughter when I get married.  I'm planning on giving them each a gift I would get them for a birthday.  I still have 10.5 months so their tastes can change drastically between now and then haha.  If it was tomorrow, he would be getting something Minecraft or Lego related

• Options
    Okay, I've been racking this over in my brain and I know I want to do SOMETHING. My fiance's son will be 5 at the time of our wedding and I've been with his dad since he was 2. I'm very close with him and want to show him that he's special to my too and we're becoming a family, not just that I'm marrying his dad.

He's already going to be our ring bearer, but I want to get him something from me to show him that I care about him and love him as much as I love his dad. Any suggestions for a 5 year old boy that he may actually keep and hang onto?
    To me, I just don't understand how a physical gift would do that at all.  You telling him how much you love him and spending time with him would, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards