Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Designing ring from many different stones

Okay so... I am going to my jeweler tomorrow to design my engagement ring. I have so many different diamonds (and emerald stones) of different sizes. The larger ones are from my step mom who I was very close with that passed away. The smaller (but not actually that small) ones are from my current step mom. My step mom really wants me to use the emeralds because they are very special to her but I am unsure if I want them in my ring permanently. And I also have my parents engagement ring. I am having trouble with trying to fit everything into one ring that wouldn't look crowded. But trust me, I'm not complaining!! Any tips or ideas? Or photo inspiration? I'd like to go in to the jeweler with somewhat of an idea. And sorry... I am SO unfamiliar with jewelry. I know nothing about sizes, shapes, cuts and everything.

Re: Designing ring from many different stones

• Options

Okay so... I am going to my jeweler tomorrow to design my engagement ring. I have so many different diamonds (and emerald stones) of different sizes. The larger ones are from my step mom who I was very close with that passed away. The smaller (but not actually that small) ones are from my current step mom. My step mom really wants me to use the emeralds because they are very special to her but I am unsure if I want them in my ring permanently. And I also have my parents engagement ring. I am having trouble with trying to fit everything into one ring that wouldn't look crowded. But trust me, I'm not complaining!! Any tips or ideas? Or photo inspiration? I'd like to go in to the jeweler with somewhat of an idea. And sorry... I am SO unfamiliar with jewelry. I know nothing about sizes, shapes, cuts and everything.

So, you should plan on any stone going in your ring to be there permanently.

Design wise, not knowing the number or exact sizes and cuts means we can't be of much help. What can be done with 3 1ct and under rounds is different then what can be done with 2 .25 emerald cuts. Try not to worry, and talk about it with the jeweler. The jeweler is a pro, they'll have ideas or at least can come up with them.

Anniversary
  • Options
    If you have lots of little ones, maybe you could add those into your wedding band instead?  All in all, I think you should choose what you want to be wearing on your finger, so don't feel like you have to use every single stone if you do not want to (such as the emeralds).  
  • Options
    I would advise against using the emeralds if you plan to wear the ring every day. Emeralds are soft and can be easily chipped, cracked, scratched, even broken. It's probably going to be okay if you go in without a specific design in mind. The jeweler should be able to make some suggestions after measuring your stones.

I will add though that this is a terrible time of year to ask for a custom design. Jewelers are super busy around the holidays and you will quite likely be told to come back early next year.
  • Options

I would advise against using the emeralds if you plan to wear the ring every day. Emeralds are soft and can be easily chipped, cracked, scratched, even broken. It's probably going to be okay if you go in without a specific design in mind. The jeweler should be able to make some suggestions after measuring your stones.

I will add though that this is a terrible time of year to ask for a custom design. Jewelers are super busy around the holidays and you will quite likely be told to come back early next year.
    I was told that emeralds (and the whole beryl family) were some of the harder stones out there. Was that wrong?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Okay, my step mom thinks the bigger ones are 1/4 carat. There are 4 of them. She took a picture but it isn't the best quality!!
  • Options
    amelisha said:

I was told that emeralds (and the whole beryl family) were some of the harder stones out there. Was that wrong?
    At around a 7.5 on the Moh's scale, they're not suitable for everyday wear and will tend to get beaten up or broken out of a setting if they're too exposed. Additionally, emeralds more than most other stones can still be considered desirable with many inclusions (called 'jardins' in emeralds) which can compromise the durability further. Most jewelers would recommend at least topaz (hardness 8) and preferably corundum (ruby/sapphire - 9) or diamond in a ring that's going to take the kind of constant abuse the average engagement ring gets. One of my mom's cousins actually has an aquamarine, also a beryl, in her e-ring and it is pretty scratched and battered at around 15-ish years of wear. She doesn't care and still loves it, of course, since she knew from the start it was likely to get that way.
  • Options
    Remember you don't need to cram all of those stones into one piece of jewelry. I like one of the PP's ideas about putting some in a wedding band. You could also make some earrings or a pendant that you could wear on your wedding day (maybe that would be a good use for the emeralds?).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards