Chit Chat
Options

Drivers License expires 1 week after wedding

I wasn't sure if there was a place to put this. I'm not really sure what to do though, my DL expires a week after my wedding. I really don't want to have to renew it and then have to pay to get a new one just a few weeks after that! We'll be married at that time but I don't know that it will be all processed at that time. Has anyone else had this issue? 

Re: Drivers License expires 1 week after wedding

• Options
    You'll need your marriage certificate to change your drivers license. After the wedding, once all the necessary parties have signed the license, it will be mailed in. After it's processed, you'll get out back in the mail. This could take several weeks. Personally, I'd wait and hope you don't get pulled over. But that's just me.
  • Options
    Get the geniuscan app for your phone, use it to make a PDF picture scan of your signed marriage license. Print it out and keep it in your car for the interim.

They might mail you a form to renew your license, you could potentially time it right to get both hooked up. Also, talk to your officiant about possibly dropping your license off in the same town as the processing place. Might take at least a couple days off the time.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    I was able to take my signed license directly to the county office the Monday after my wedding and they made the certified copies while I waited. The whole thing took 5 minutes. Check with your county office and see if doing it in person is an option instead of through the mail.
  • Options
    I was able to take my signed license directly to the county office the Monday after my wedding and they made the certified copies while I waited. The whole thing took 5 minutes. Check with your county office and see if doing it in person is an option instead of through the mail.
    That would actually be really great, FI has to go back to boot camp the 4th which is 9 days after we get married and that way he can take a copy with him instead of having to wait for me to send it in the mail. I'll definitely look into it. 
  • Options
    I had to have a signed and sealed original copy of the marriage license, which took more than a week to receive. I'm sure that varies by state though, so I'd check exactly what they require. I also had to change to social security card first before I could go to the DMV. It only cost me $12 to change my license.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    It really depends on your state, so you should call and ask them. I needed the official, notarized copy of my marriage license (not the one I got at the ceremony - that's just for decoration basically) AND my name changed at Social Security before I could change my drivers license. It took 3 weeks to get my marriage license. It was only $9 to get a new DL. In my state the renewal fee is also higher if you wait until after it has expired, which is more than the $9 it costs for a new license.

• Options
    This is going vary by state but in Georgia you get one free change to your license (such as your name or address). Does your state offer that? If they don't they may also waive fees if you make a change to your license within a certain period of time after your renewal. I wouldn't let your license expire. Aside from the risk of getting pulled over with an expire license, it could also be more expensive and complicated to renew and also change your name. The DMV required me to show my official marriage certificate. They would not have accepted a copy.

• Options
    Renew it and then just pay the change fee once you get the marriage license.
  • Options
    I was able to submit my marriage license the monday after the wedding and get certified copies the same day. I changed my name at the social security office the same day and changed my drivers license 24hrs later. The BMV also gave me a paper, temporary license until mine came in the mail (about a week later). I would check the requirements in your state/county to see what you need and how long the wait is for certified copies of your marriage license, if you can submit it in person and so on.
  • Options

This is what I did. And changed my drivers license the next week. It really depends on your state.
  • Options
    Yep - definitely varies by state. I had my signed marriage certificate the day after the wedding and my new SS & DL within a week of being home. Just check with your county clerk on timelines and go from there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would not drive on an expired license. In my state if you let your license expire there's a much higher fee for renewing it.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Not sure what state you are in, but I'm in Ohio and I was able to get an official copy of my filed marriage license the Monday after my wedding.  (I had the day off and we did a belated honeymoon a few months later.)  You can ask your officiant to let you file the paperwork, take it to the probate court (or where ever it has to be filed), and get a copy that day.  That way you should be able to renew/change your name on your license before it expires.
  • Options
    I would just renew it under my maiden name and then change it later.  At least you aren't breaking the law that way.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    As others said, it varies by state.  In MD I had my official copy the day I went to the courthouse to get it with H.  Attached to it were various carbon paper copies.  One was for the officiant to keep, one was to be sent back to the city.  The top copy was ours to keep and use to change my name.  I also had to have my name changed through the SS office and have my new SS card in hand before I could change my license.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards