Chit Chat
Options

Well this really stinks.

FI found out that his job is ending by the end of the year, and he's really upset.

He took a leap of faith and left his steady "just okay" job to take his dream job, working on a contract basis. He's been trying for months to find out whether his contract will be renewed. Today the boss finally told him they don't have enough business to keep him on, and FI feels really bad for leaving his old job. He's in kind of a "niche" field so we have no idea how long it may take for him to find another job that really suits him. I have a feeling he's going to be stressed out about it all through Christmas, and I don't know how to cheer him up.

So this just stinks. I need hugs, wine and cute gifs, pretty please.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Well this really stinks.

• Options
    I'm so sorry!  I can't really post gifs or anything at work (and I can't usually see other people's gifs or pictures), but I'm sorry!  *Hugs*
  • Options

I'm sorry! That really sucks and it is hard to know how to be there for some people. Is your FI the type who needs his space to process or is he the kind who needs someone there?

If he likes to be alone (like my H) I would suggest letting him know that you are there for him and let him process. Knowing that you are there should he want to talk may very well be the comfort he needs.

Hugs!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm so sorry!  *Hugs!*

• Options
    That sucks! I'm so sorry. 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry! **hug** tons of them!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    That's super sucky :( I'm sorry! Go home, give him a beer (or drink of choice), and tell him that he can be super sulky tonight if he wants. 

• Options
    All the hugs. I hope he finds another job in his niche this week. Good vibes going to you!

image   image   image

• Options
    I'm sorry. That's really lame. Best of luck to him in the job hunt, and hugs to you! 
  • Options
    As someone with a niche contract job - I get where he's coming from. BUT he also may have great opportunity to make lemons out of lemonade. Usually speciality contract workers are in high demand if their skill set is something that special. Perhaps his boss knows other people in the industry he can recommend he talks to for other work? Maybe he'll accidentally end up with more money when he moves somewhere new! Ya never know!
  • Options
    Oh no!  Best wishes for him finding something even better!

• Options
    Oh no! That's awful. At least he took a "leap of faith" instead of always wondering, right? Best of luck that he finds something soon!

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    That really sucks, I hope he finds another job soon!
  • Options
    (((Hugs)))
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    im so sorry to hear that. Wishing he gets to find something during the holiday season! image

• Options
    H was laid off last year the week before Christmas. I think the best thing you can do for him is just to let him vent and let him know you're here to help in anyway. Also, I don't know your situation, but it helped  H that I reminded him we might need to cut back a little spending wise, we would otherwise survive and be okay. I think that helped take some pressure and stress off of him.

• Options
    Thank you all for the hugs! Sorry to P&R, had meetings all day :(

I'm sorry! That really sucks and it is hard to know how to be there for some people. Is your FI the type who needs his space to process or is he the kind who needs someone there?

If he likes to be alone (like my H) I would suggest letting him know that you are there for him and let him process. Knowing that you are there should he want to talk may very well be the comfort he needs.

Hugs!

Yeah, he's definitely the type who needs alone time. I offered to drop off dinner at his place and he said he didn't want me to see him like this. I'm trying to give him as much space as he needs, but I have no idea what to say when he eventually wants to talk about it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    So sorry about this! Sending you plenty of hugs :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    It sucks.   At the very least it gave him the push he needed to get out of the "just ok" job.  < bright side :)
  • Options
    Oh girl, I feel for you! 

DH was laid off two weeks ago - right before the holidays, with a pregnant wife, and a son a year away from college...and they took the company car! To say the timing was poor is an understatement. He was doing pretty well with it at first, but now he's struggle to deal with the blow to his ego, loosing some independence since he's without a car, and figuring out how to balance his need to be the "provider" (his words, not mine). 

Like you, I'm just trying to be there for him but it's hard to know what to say to make him feel better. I'm really just trying to listen when he wants to talk and to stay positive when I can. Good luck & lots of hugs! Let me know if you have any "how to support an unemployed husband" epiphanies you want to share. I'm all ears!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm very sorry. That really sucks.

(((Hugs)))
  • Options
    @SmileDamnit I'm so sorry to hear that. Sending you and your family lots of hugs as well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards