Moms and Maids

1 bridesmaid/1 groomsman?

lindsey61811lindsey61811 member
5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
edited December 2014 in Moms and Maids
Hello! We just got engaged over the weekend but of course I am already planning like crazy. I have my best friend who is also our daughter's god mother, and I do have other girlfriends but none as close as my best. My fiance on the other hand really only has his cousin who he is close to (and also our daughter's godfather). He has other friends of course but they have all grown apart over the past year. So, I am thinking of just having my best as a maid of honor and his cousin as best man and that's it. Is anyone else having just one bridesmaid/groomsman? 

We are planning on a fairly small/simple wedding so I feel like just having one bridesmaid will be plenty in terms of her helping me but I am not sure if we should have more bridal party members.

imageVisit The Nest!

Re: 1 bridesmaid/1 groomsman?

• 1 for each of you is perfectly fine! Some brides choose not to have a bridal party at all.

How far out are you from the wedding? Generally it's a good idea to ask your bridesmaid(s) no more than 6-10 months out from the wedding since friendships ebb & flow differently. But with 1 bridesmaid, this is probably less of a concern

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• You don't have to have a specific number.  One of each is more than fine if that is what you want.

We're not having a wedding party at all, actually, and that's fine too.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for the response! We are likely looking at a 2.5 year engagment, spring 2017. She's been my best friend for 18+ years though so definitely not a concern for her but something I will keep in mind if we decide to add party members!

imageVisit The Nest!
  • 1 should actually be more than enough in terms of helping with the wedding because the only people that should be expected to are the bride and groom.
  • peachy13peachy13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    Congrats on your engagement! You can certainly have one bridesmaid and one groomsman, but I might try to wait a little longer to ask them since your wedding is still pretty far away. 

And your wedding party is definitely not responsible for "helping" you out in any way unless they offer.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Yeah I totally missed that part. The only things your bridesmaid(s) will be responsible for by agreeing to be in your wedding party are:
    Getting a dress that is within her budget
    Showing up on time for the wedding
    Smiling in pictures

And that's really it, UNLESS she offers to do anything extra.

There shouldn't be any expectation that she will host showers or parties, plan wedding details with you/contact vendors, craft your DIYs, etc. that's all on you.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Sure. I agree. I guess you would have to know how close we are and what a good friend she is to understand our relationship. I don't EXPECT her to do things, I just know as my best friend she is already excited to do many wedding related things with me.

imageVisit The Nest!
  • We are having one each. My sister-in-law is my matron of honor, and he is having his brother. It's not what I ever pictured I would have, but I actually love it now. Having been in so many weddings with people I'm not as close with anymore kinda sealed the deal. It's nice not having to deal with logistics and clothing for so many people too. 

I do have a best friend of 25+ years that I was a little disappointed at first to not have her be in it, but truth is, she has never met my fiancee in person (I moved across country 5 years ago), and I also know what a pain it can be to be in a wedding that is across country (I was in hers lol). So, I'm having her be a reader. It's a special reading to me, and an easy way to include her. 

My local friends are still great, and are really helpful with wedding things and ask if they can help all the time. To be honest, I think they're a bit relieved to not be in it as well haha! We've all been getting married in the last year or so and lets face it, it's not cheap to be in a wedding. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards