Just Engaged and Proposals

What's your ideal ring?

op0op0 member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited December 2014 in Just Engaged and Proposals
Is the ring you got what you consider your ''ideal'' ring?

Re: What's your ideal ring?

• I got to design my ring since I always knew I would get my grandmother's stone (my sis in law wears my other grandmothers)  I always loved an emerald cut which is what mine is so that worked out well!

However, I ended up setting it very differently than I thought I would.  I was never someone who dreamed of an engagement ring or was designing it or anything like that so once we got engaged, I had to really start looking at what I wanted.  At first, I thought I'd just have it set on a band of small diamonds but we ended up making it much more vintage looking and I"m absolutely in love with it.

So yes, it is my ideal ring, even though I had no idea what my ideal ring was before haha

• I like a pretty simple ring. Pave shank w/ solitare. I also like old cut diamonds/AVCs which are little different.
  • I never really thought about it much to have a set image of my ideal ring. I like simple solitaries, so when we were ring shopping I focused on that.

The ring itself wasn't super important to me. There are many styles that I would have loved just the same.
  • I absolutely adore my ring! However, if I complained about it in any way, I'd be the biggest asshole EVER.

• I wouldn't change a thing!  I was originally supposed to get my grandmothers ring but then we found out it couldn't be sized down far enough without ruining it so we had to get something else.  I found a ring that was 100% different from what I thought and actually goes back to what I would have told you I wanted if you'd asked me at 16.  I thought I wanted something super vintage like my grandmas ring but then I realized that I have so many vintage pieces that it would be nice to have a ring that really looked like an engagement ring.  So we went with a halo setting with amazing side detail and stones down the side as well.  It's so beautiful and I can't stop looking at it.
  • Yes, actually the ring FI gave me far surpassed my original ideal ring and expectations! The fact that he put so much feeling and thought into picking out my ring (the main stone is my birth stone and he made sure everything was conflict free which is very important to me) made it mean so much more. It's gorgeous. We've been engaged since March and even now I catch myself staring at it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I tend to like oval and pear-shaped stones, soft curves rather than hard lines, very intricate, detailed settings, halos, and that sort of vintage-y look. What I ended up with (because I saw it, fell in love with it, told FI how much I liked it, and then he bought that exact ring) is the total opposite - a three stone ring w/ an emerald cut center stone and trilliant cut side stones on a very plain white gold band. I absolutely adore it, even though it's the exact opposite of what I thought I wanted! 
  • esstee33 said:
    I tend to like oval and pear-shaped stones, soft curves rather than hard lines, very intricate, detailed settings, halos, and that sort of vintage-y look. What I ended up with (because I saw it, fell in love with it, told FI how much I liked it, and then he bought that exact ring) is the total opposite - a three stone ring w/ an emerald cut center stone and trilliant cut side stones on a very plain white gold band. I absolutely adore it, even though it's the exact opposite of what I thought I wanted! 
    That happened to me with my wedding dress, I got literally the opposite of what I thought I wanted

• esstee33 said:
    I tend to like oval and pear-shaped stones, soft curves rather than hard lines, very intricate, detailed settings, halos, and that sort of vintage-y look. What I ended up with (because I saw it, fell in love with it, told FI how much I liked it, and then he bought that exact ring) is the total opposite - a three stone ring w/ an emerald cut center stone and trilliant cut side stones on a very plain white gold band. I absolutely adore it, even though it's the exact opposite of what I thought I wanted! 
    That happened to me with my wedding dress, I got literally the opposite of what I thought I wanted
    That worked out very well for you haha. Your dress is incredible!
  • I didn't have an ideal ring, honestly, because I didn't feel the ring was very important. Don't get me wrong - I adore my engagement ring. It's a family ring that my FIL made himself and it's gorgeous. But my ideal ring would have been any ring he gave me. 
  • The ring I got was my ideal ring because it was from him. 

Princess cut diamond with a halo and diamonds down the sides.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• My ring is definitely my ideal ring, but I pretty much told him the exact setting and cut I liked. Solitaire emerald with the platinum band flared towards the stone to frame it. Simple but striking. 

Ultimately I would have loved anything he gave me because he's the bestest, but I also love that he knows I'd rather pick it than be surprised if given the choice. Yes I am a control freak.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My ideal engagement ring was no ring and that's exactly that I got! :) I picked out my own wedding band, so it's also just what I wanted.
  • When I first got my ring, I was, not impressed. It was very different from both what I was expecting and thought I would get. It didn't help that my friend who made it was having trouble with the casting, so I got the copper mock up ring in lieu of the finished rose gold ring. In time though, I grew to love it. It wasn't a traditional ring, it suited me and it was OMG NERD without actually saying OMG NERD. 

I'm not sure I would call it my ideal e-ring, but I certainly love it.

Anniversary
  • Fi and I went shopping together for the ring - so I would say I got my idea ring. I don't know if its what I would have initially pictured myself picking - but I just kept going back to it. I love it.
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• My ring is nothing like what I would have thought I would pick out, but I love it because FI took 4 months of researching to find one he thought I would love.  It's got a yellow diamond for the center stone, which is what I really like - but I love the ring most because he gave it to me and put so much thought into it. 

• For ages, as I watched plenty of my friends get engaged before me, I thought my ideal ring would be simple: plain band, princess solitaire diamond. 
    As DH and I started talking more about getting engaged, and I really started considering the ring, I realized I wanted something different from the norm in my area.  I ended up with a blue sapphire with a diamond halo and adore it. 

• I wanted a halo set round diamond.

I got a princess cut pave band. But it's from my FI and that's perfect enough for me :)

• My now husband was nervous about picking out the wrong ring so he proposed with a "temporary" ring and we picked out my ring together.  We had it custom made so it's exactly what i wanted.
  • Yes it was totally ideal. I had pinned a couple of ring ideas on pinterest and he secretly checked them out to get me as close to what I wanted as possible. 
  • I chose mine, so it is ideal. I didn't have something in mind prior to looking for it though, other than "no diamonds, no white gold, no platinum."

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i want my ring to be silver or plantium on the outside and gold on the inside. with diamond in the center w/sapphire surrounding it on each side since i'm born in september. i'll let him choose the 4c's of the diamond.
  • My man nailed it! He totally listened to what I wanted (yellow gold) and used my mom's engagement diamond! I'm a little old school so I love the detailing in the gold to make it look more vintage!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards