Chit Chat

Christmas Gift Help -- MIL

I need some ideas for Christmas gifts for my MIL.  

She adores our wedding pictures so I made her a (free) calendar from Shutterfly using wedding pictures (not just of us, but their side of the family, detail shots, etc.) and a framed print of DH and me.  We also bought her a Blu-Ray copy of West Side Story.  If I have time I'm going to make a microwave heat/cold pack with fabric and rice...

She loves to scrapbook and make hand made cards, but she has so many supplies (no joke it has taken over the smallest bedroom in their house) that I don't want to buy anything without it being a specific request from her in fear it would be a duplicate item.  

I know you guys don't know her, but the things I'm thinking of are so very generic (gift card for a date night) that they seem boring.  I need something to spark some ideas.

Last year she got a calendar, a sweater, a stained glass window and a few books and movies she requested...  
photo composite_14153800476219.jpg

Re: Christmas Gift Help -- MIL

• FI's mother really loves this mermaid necklace I have, so we got her one that's similar to it but still different and unique. 

What kind of jewelry does your MIL wear? 
    Does she like wine, or something like Baileys? (FI's mom LOVES Bailey's so we're getting her a bottle). 

Does she read? Does she do sodoku or some other kind of puzzle like that? A subscription to a magazine she reads or would like? 

Some spa products, or a candle in her favorite scent (if you know she likes that kind of stuff and will use it)

My own mom always wants clothes, so I usually get her some cute sweaters and cardigans and stuff. 

What about a special work light for her desk/table where she works on her scrap booking stuff? 
  • Sounds like you have some good ideas already.  Do you usually give a lot of gifts?

My MIL already has a lot of stuff, so I've tried recently to gift her more with "experiences."  I took her to a concert in our town for her birthday, and she loved it!  We had a great time and she played the CD for days after and my fiance said that the two times after the concert he saw her she just kept talking about it.

Can you gift your MIL with an experience?
  • I love to spend time with my kids so a coupon where we go out to dinner together or to a movie or play together would be wonderful. It's personalizing a generic gift card.
  • Could she use something to organize all her scrapbooking supplies? 
  • Does she like to write notes? I sometimes give personalized stationery and it always goes over well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• AlisonM23 said:
    Could she use something to organize all her scrapbooking supplies? 
    Oh boy could she...  Again, the problem is that you want to buy that stuff to fit certain items, not just buy the stuff and see what fits in the compartments.

She has some stuff organized, and she wants to redo the whole bedroom (get rid of the day bed) and make it her full time craft room.  I volunteered to come help organize when she decides to do the project, but she just had her hip replaced and they just finished a room addition and kitchen remodel so I think this project will be put off for awhiel.  :)
  • FI's mother really loves this mermaid necklace I have, so we got her one that's similar to it but still different and unique. 

Does she like wine, or something like Baileys? (FI's mom LOVES Bailey's so we're getting her a bottle). 

Does she read? Does she do sodoku or some other kind of puzzle like that? A subscription to a magazine she reads or would like? 

Some spa products, or a candle in her favorite scent (if you know she likes that kind of stuff and will use it)

My own mom always wants clothes, so I usually get her some cute sweaters and cardigans and stuff. 

What about a special work light for her desk/table where she works on her scrap booking stuff? 
    She wears GOOD jewelry, so out of our budget.  lol

She does drink tea, so we can get some loose leaf teas for her to try out...  Thanks for jogging my memory!
  • Sounds like you have some good ideas already.  Do you usually give a lot of gifts?

My MIL already has a lot of stuff, so I've tried recently to gift her more with "experiences."  I took her to a concert in our town for her birthday, and she loved it!  We had a great time and she played the CD for days after and my fiance said that the two times after the concert he saw her she just kept talking about it.

They are both very generous people and we usually exchange several gifts (not always extravagant, but not cheap either).  I just don't want to feel like we didn't do "enough" when we can afford to be generous ourselves.

There aren't a lot of "experiences" in their part of the state.  Not a lot of restaurants or shopping so the options are extremely limited.  There are a lot more where we live but I don't want to pressure her to drive down here to do something with us (although she would love it).
  • You can make those packs with rice? I got one with feed corn one year and loved it until it fell apart--the best for period cramps! What about a gift card to a craft store for scrap booking stuff? That way it shows you have an interest in her hobbies and also allows her to treat herself to new materials. I'm getting my sis a gift card to an online yarn and fabric store since I don't know what knitting supplies she might need.
  • edited December 2014
    AprilH81 said:
    AlisonM23 said:
    Oh boy could she...  Again, the problem is that you want to buy that stuff to fit certain items, not just buy the stuff and see what fits in the compartments.

She has some stuff organized, and she wants to redo the whole bedroom (get rid of the day bed) and make it her full time craft room.  I volunteered to come help organize when she decides to do the project, but she just had her hip replaced and they just finished a room addition and kitchen remodel so I think this project will be put off for awhiel.  :)
    Not necessarily. More likely than not she's using 12x12 paper, which is a bitch and a half to store. I want one (or 6) of these really badly. The upper drawers could be used to store anything; not necessarily specific to a type or brand of embellishment. And if she's scrapping elsewhere, she can pull a drawer out, close it up, and take it with her.

• Aray82 said:
    You can make those packs with rice? I got one with feed corn one year and loved it until it fell apart--the best for period cramps! What about a gift card to a craft store for scrap booking stuff? That way it shows you have an interest in her hobbies and also allows her to treat herself to new materials. I'm getting my sis a gift card to an online yarn and fabric store since I don't know what knitting supplies she might need.
    I haven't tried yet, but I found a pattern on Pinterest and I'm going to try if I have time.  I'm a very, very beginning sewer, but it looks really easy.
  • AprilH81 said:
    AlisonM23 said:

Not necessarily. More likely than not she's using 12x12 paper, which is a bitch and a half to store. I want one (or 6) of these really badly. The upper drawers could be used to store anything; not necessarily specific to a type or brand of embellishment. And if she's scrapping elsewhere, she can pull a drawer out, close it up, and take it with her.

She has a lot of those, plus a mobile/rolling "briefcase" for supplies for when she goes to scrap booking parties/weekends.  I wasn't kidding when I said she has a lot of stuff.  lol  The problem with her organizational items is that it is a lot of smaller compartments/boxes/trays and she needs a whole system.  Think custom scrap booking room.  :)
  • AprilH81 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    AlisonM23 said:

She has a lot of those, plus a mobile/rolling "briefcase" for supplies for when she goes to scrap booking parties/weekends.  I wasn't kidding when I said she has a lot of stuff.  lol  The problem with her organizational items is that it is a lot of smaller compartments/boxes/trays and she needs a whole system.  Think custom scrap booking room.  :)
    Ahh yeah. I mean, speaking from experience, I could never have enough of that kind of stuff. (I have two rolling totes, a big shoulder bag, a compartmented tote, a 9-cubby shelf full of baskets of things, a desk made from closet organizer cubbies, shit that hangs on the wall, and a whole closet full of boxes and don't have enough storage.) 

Maybe a gift card to Lowe's/Home Depot with a note saying it's intended toward her custom scrapbooking room? 

• Last year you got her a stained glass window -- is that something she's really interested in? Are there any studios near her where she could take a class? 
  • esstee33 said:
    Last year you got her a stained glass window -- is that something she's really interested in? Are there any studios near her where she could take a class? 
    I bought it at a craft show.  It really isn't a "window" it was a beautiful stained glass hummingbird in a wood frame.  Both of my in-laws like to feed (and watch) birds so I saw it and it screamed out "BUY ME FOR MIL".  

They live about an hour outside of Pittsburgh and she doesn't like to drive into the city.  I don't think there is anything like that closer to their home.  Good idea though!
  • AprilH81 said:
    FI's mother really loves this mermaid necklace I have, so we got her one that's similar to it but still different and unique. 

She wears GOOD jewelry, so out of our budget.  lol

She does drink tea, so we can get some loose leaf teas for her to try out...  Thanks for jogging my memory!
    Oh yeah that's something else we got FMIL this year. She loves tea, so we got her a fancy tea infuser and then went to Whole Foods and got some really good loose leaf teas.

Last year I got her a mahogany tea chest like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Storage-Mahogany-Finish-TEA1-MA/dp/B004EI83S0/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1417747037&sr=1-1&keywords=mahogany+tea+chest

You can find really cool tea chests on Etsy too.
  • AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:
    Last year you got her a stained glass window -- is that something she's really interested in? Are there any studios near her where she could take a class? 
    I bought it at a craft show.  It really isn't a "window" it was a beautiful stained glass hummingbird in a wood frame.  Both of my in-laws like to feed (and watch) birds so I saw it and it screamed out "BUY ME FOR MIL".  

They live about an hour outside of Pittsburgh and she doesn't like to drive into the city.  I don't think there is anything like that closer to their home.  Good idea though!
    Bummer! 

Depending on which direction outside the city she lives, could Trax Farms be a possibility? They have a winter wine tasting event coming up in February, if she drinks wine. My FMIL loves that place. Based on you saying there's not a lot of shopping or restaurants in her part of the state, I'm guessing it's not near the south hills, though, haha. 

There's a ton of tea rooms listed here that you could check out to see if they're having any kind of special events: http://www.teamap.com/states/state_PA_Name.html
  • AprilH81 said:
    Sounds like you have some good ideas already.  Do you usually give a lot of gifts?

They are both very generous people and we usually exchange several gifts (not always extravagant, but not cheap either).  I just don't want to feel like we didn't do "enough" when we can afford to be generous ourselves.

There aren't a lot of "experiences" in their part of the state.  Not a lot of restaurants or shopping so the options are extremely limited.  There are a lot more where we live but I don't want to pressure her to drive down here to do something with us (although she would love it).
    Got it!  I hope you get some more suggestions!
  • edited December 2014

esstee33 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:

Bummer! 

Depending on which direction outside the city she lives, could Trax Farms be a possibility? They have a winter wine tasting event coming up in February, if she drinks wine. My FMIL loves that place. Based on you saying there's not a lot of shopping or restaurants in her part of the state, I'm guessing it's not near the south hills, though, haha. 

There's a ton of tea rooms listed here that you could check out to see if they're having any kind of special events: http://www.teamap.com/states/state_PA_Name.html
    To the bolded:  My FMIL is also a bird-lover.  Talk about feeding them... They have about 20 bird feeders on their property for attracting different birds.  I am NOT kidding when I say she spends about $300 a month on bird seed.  So- could you offer to buy them seed for a year, or a month, or something like that? 

My FMIL is restoring her property to native prairie so one year we made her a gift certificate to purchase seeds, shrubs, trees, etc from her favorite supplier that doesn't offer gift cards.  I mention this because even if you don't know exactly what kinds of birds they feed and what seed is needed / preferred, maybe you could make a clever / cute certificate to help cover the cost of that.

Also, what about binoculars to aid with bird watching?  Keep in mind though that I once heard at a birding seminar you shouldn't let someone else choose binoculars for you b/c everyone has different eye sight / preferences / etc.; but maybe a gift card for that specifically?

ETF:  Words

• esstee33 said:
    AprilH81 said:
    esstee33 said:

Bummer! 

To the bolded:  My FMIL is also a bird-lover.  Talk about feeding them... They have about 20 bird feeders on their property for attracting different birds.  I am NOT kidding when I say she spends about $300 a month on bird seed.  So- could you offer to buy them seed for a year, or a month, or something like that? 

My FMIL is restoring her property to native prairie so one year we made her a gift certificate to purchase seeds, shrubs, trees, etc from her favorite supplier that doesn't offer gift cards.  I mention this because even if you don't know exactly what kinds of birds they feed and what seed is needed / preferred, maybe you could make a clever / cute certificate to help cover the cost of that.

Also, what about binoculars to aid with bird watching?  Keep in mind though that I once heard at a birding seminar you shouldn't let someone else choose binoculars for you b/c everyone has different eye sight / preferences / etc.; but maybe a gift card for that specifically?

ETF:  Words
    We got FIL bird seed for Father's Day or that would be a great idea!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards