Wedding Etiquette Forum

Uncle invited cousin's BF

edited November 2014 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
We've kept our wedding guest list relatively small (under 60) for various reasons - our budget, we're trying to create an intimate atmosphere by only having family and our closest friends, my "side" would be much larger than "his" if we had a larger guest list because many people in his life live at the other end of the country and wouldn't have the means to travel, the space is limited, etc… 

When we first chose our wedding date, my uncle asked if his son and daughter and their SOs would be invited. We said that we knew we wanted to have an intimate wedding but we hadn't discussed the guest list yet. He asked why we wanted to have an intimate wedding so we ended up having a conversation about our reasons.

Fast-forward six months. We decide to invite these cousins. One is twenty-four and engaged so we invited the fiance; the other is nineteen and has an on again/off again boyfriend that we've met twice (doesn't live with him) so we decided not to invite him. This was clearly indicated on the envelopes - we sent one to the twenty-four year old and his fiance and another to the parents' house with the daughter's name (she still lives at home). 

The parents called to let me know that they'll be coming but that the cousins AND THEIR SOs won't because they're going on a trip at that time (they didn't use the provided RSVP method). I said "we're excited you'll be joining us, no problem for the cousins!" (my aunt was very apologetic). 

So… then… a few weeks later (tonight), I receive a text message from my uncle asking if it's too late for my cousins AND THEIR SOs to change their minds (the trip fell through because of finances).

My uncle keeps assuming and talking as though the boyfriend was invited. We were wrong not to invite him? How do you kindly say that someone is not invited? I don't think that saying, "we're very happy that "cousin, cousin, and fiance will be attending" will be enough for my uncle to get it. Should I actually say, "we're very happy that cousin, cousin, and fiance will be attending, but unfortunately boyfriend was not invited"? That seems very rude!

(Side note: WTF my cousin is twenty-four years old and can't ask himself? Maybe he's embarrassed or whatever, but he even got his parents to decline for him and the fiance. I get the feeling that he doesn't really care about coming but his parents decided the cousins should come when the travel plans fell through.)

EDIT. I went into bridezilla zone on this one Thanks for the input. This is my response below.
I get what everyone is saying. We made a mistake in not inviting the boyfriend. We responded a few minutes ago with "we're very happy that they'll be coming" and we'll add a seat for the boyfriend.

I think that what is actually bothering me has little to do with this invite situation but the fact that my twenty-four year old cousin isn't the one who picked up the phone to let me know that their plans have changed. Everyone in my family - grandparents, aunts, uncles, their parents - has always REALLY babied these two cousins (particularly the nephew). 

Anyway - it was our mistake and we fixed it (with a nudge from you guys and some hints from my uncle). The family stuff is for another day.

Re: Uncle invited cousin's BF

• I think you were wrong not to invite the boyfriend.        

I would just welcome them all and move on.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • It was technically rude of you not to invite the boyfriend. Your cousin may only be 19, but she's an adult. Her relationship may be a little unsteady, but he's still the man she considered to be her partner and as such they should be treated as a social unit and invited together. Every relationship has to start somewhere, so it's not your place to decide if their relationship is serious enough to warrant respecting them as a social unit. It's ok if you've never met him, you never know, you could be excluding your future cousin-in-law! Treat your cousin like an adult and invite her and her boyfriend together.
  • The rule of etiquette is that everyone's SOs should be invited.  So, if your cousin is dating someone (no matter how on/off it may be) your cousin should be allowed to have the BF come to the wedding, otherwise you'll end up looking like the rude one.  It is insulting to not be allowed to bring your SO to family events, and I know your goal wasn't to insult your cousin.  Just let the BF come and avoid the unnecessary drama that would ensue if you put it out there that the BF wasn't allowed to come.  Those kinds of hurt feelings don't go away, and it's something that wouldn't be forgotten.
  • They have met him twice.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Well, your proposed response is rude because it was rude to not invite the boyfriend to begin with.  The number of times you've met the boyfriend isn't relevant.  Neither is their on-again, off-again status.  It's not up to you make the judgment of how serious they are.  If they were together at the time the invites went out, his name should have been on the invite.

So, suck it up and let it go.  It's one extra person.  It's not going to ruin your "intimate" wedding.  I think you might be letting the fact that the cousins didn't respond personally and they changed their minds color your thinking on this one (which at that age, I probably would have let my mom handle family things like this for me, too - I was busy with school, work, and socializing to care much about proper responses to invitations).
  • Wow, you are so rude. I couldn't even get through the whole post without having to call you out on your attitude. It is none of your business how "serious" your guests' relationships are. Your guest's significant others get invited by name on the invite, regardless if they are engaged, live together, or not.PERIOD. Shame on you for judging people's relationships while expecting them to celebrate yours. People like you make me so mad.

Formerly martha1818

• You were wrong not to invite the boyfriend.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • edited November 2014
    I get what everyone is saying. We made a mistake in not inviting the boyfriend. We responded a few minutes ago with "we're very happy that they'll be coming" and we'll add a seat for the boyfriend.

I think that what is actually bothering me has little to do with this invite situation but the fact that my twenty-four year old cousin isn't the one who picked up the phone to let me know that their plans have changed. Everyone in my family - grandparents, aunts, uncles, their parents - has always REALLY babied these two cousins (particularly the nephew). 

Anyway - it was our mistake and we fixed it (with a nudge from you guys and some hints from my uncle). The family stuff is for another day.

• I get what everyone is saying. We made a mistake in not inviting the boyfriend. We responded a few minutes ago with "we're very happy that they'll be coming" and we'll add a seat for the boyfriend.

Good for you for doing the right thing, OP. I believe you 100% that it's gotta be annoying for your grown cousins' parents to do the communicating for them. I deal with clients at my job all the time who insist on treating their grown adult children--I'm talking in their 20s--as if they're still teenagers; it's VERY ridiculous. Just try to brush it off and not let it go to you, especially since you know that that's just how they are and it's not worth your stress over.
  • First off, let me start with it is YOUR wedding. You are NOT obligated to invite ANY of your family members SO's. I sure as hell am not. I already have an issue with my father inviting more people on my side of the family than I can afford and HE won't even help pay for anything. It's just me and my groom. I want a small intimate wedding. Would I love all my family to be there, sure. Do I want all of their SO's there? Uh, no. I don't know them, I don't have enough money and I refuse to feel "obligated" to invite someone I and my Groom don't know or don't want to my wedding. It's not rude, I simply can't afford a freaking 10 K wedding. Nor do I want to go into debt feeding my entire extended family, and their temporary SO's. And for all of you saying "what's another person"... Well, when you have thirty fucking cousins and they all bring their SO's that's an extra 30 fucking people. That's another 400 dollars(just for food). I don't know about you, but I have my own car payment, phone bill, groceries, I own my house and support myself. So I don't have an extra 400+ just lying around to invite "just another person". Your wedding, your invitations, your money and your fucking business.
  • First off, let me start with it is YOUR wedding. You are NOT obligated to invite ANY of your family members SO's. I sure as hell am not. I already have an issue with my father inviting more people on my side of the family than I can afford and HE won't even help pay for anything. It's just me and my groom. I want a small intimate wedding. Would I love all my family to be there, sure. Do I want all of their SO's there? Uh, no. I don't know them, I don't have enough money and I refuse to feel "obligated" to invite someone I and my Groom don't know or don't want to my wedding. It's not rude, I simply can't afford a freaking 10 K wedding. Nor do I want to go into debt feeding my entire extended family, and their temporary SO's. And for all of you saying "what's another person"... Well, when you have thirty fucking cousins and they all bring their SO's that's an extra 30 fucking people. That's another 400 dollars(just for food). I don't know about you, but I have my own car payment, phone bill, groceries, I own my house and support myself. So I don't have an extra 400+ just lying around to invite "just another person". Your wedding, your invitations, your money and your fucking business.

Hahahahaaaaaaaaa. I have a car payment. A phone bill. Groceries. My own house. But dang, I lost my job 4 months ago and that takes about 40% of my household income out the window. Now I'm on unemployment. Would everybody understand if I didn't invite their "temporary SOs" probably. Am I going to not invite people because I'm unemployed? No. I'm not going to visit my personal financial problems on my family. I'm going to cut back on flowers and not buy the ridiculously super cute (read: super fucking expensive) shoes I wanted. Amongst various other things I'm doing to cut back. But etiquette will never go out the window. Its important. It shows people that you care about them and their good time. Its a bullshit move otherwise. Plain and simple.

I have a feeling that I am going to get reported/ warned/ banned if I respond to this the way that I want to.

I will just remind you that weddings are about love, relationships and commitment.  So it shouldnt surprise you that your cousins want to celebrate a day of love with their SO, no matter how temporary.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    BriannaRenee91 said: First off, let me start with it is YOUR wedding. You are NOT obligated to invite ANY of your family members SO's. I sure as hell am not. I already have an issue with my father inviting more people on my side of the family than I can afford and HE won't even help pay for anything. It's just me and my groom. I want a small intimate wedding. Would I love all my family to be there, sure. Do I want all of their SO's there? Uh, no. I don't know them, I don't have enough money and I refuse to feel "obligated" to invite someone I and my Groom don't know or don't want to my wedding. It's not rude, I simply can't afford a freaking 10 K wedding. Nor do I want to go into debt feeding my entire extended family, and their temporary SO's. And for all of you saying "what's another person"... Well, when you have thirty fucking cousins and they all bring their SO's that's an extra 30 fucking people. That's another 400 dollars(just for food). I don't know about you, but I have my own car payment, phone bill, groceries, I own my house and support myself. So I don't have an extra 400+ just lying around to invite "just another person". Your wedding, your invitations, your money and your fucking business.

Oh no, how can anyone ever afford to appropriately host an event and invite the people they
    SHOULD be inviting AND manage to be an adult and pay bills?!?!?!?! Cry me a fucking river. 

If you can't afford to invite people's SOs, you need to cut other people off the list until you can. That's rude as fuck and makes you look like SUCH an ass. 
    Whooaaa, where the hell did that come from??

And no, you're wrong. If you want people to celebrate your love and marriage, then you cannot insist that your guests be forced to leave their partners behind. Mutiny!
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

Take a chill pill.  You're not having a wedding anyways, since, you know, you're already married.
    Anniversary

• beethery said:
    First off, let me start with it is YOUR wedding. You are NOT obligated to invite ANY of your family members SO's. I sure as hell am not. I already have an issue with my father inviting more people on my side of the family than I can afford and HE won't even help pay for anything. It's just me and my groom. I want a small intimate wedding. Would I love all my family to be there, sure. Do I want all of their SO's there? Uh, no. I don't know them, I don't have enough money and I refuse to feel "obligated" to invite someone I and my Groom don't know or don't want to my wedding. It's not rude, I simply can't afford a freaking 10 K wedding. Nor do I want to go into debt feeding my entire extended family, and their temporary SO's. And for all of you saying "what's another person"... Well, when you have thirty fucking cousins and they all bring their SO's that's an extra 30 fucking people. That's another 400 dollars(just for food). I don't know about you, but I have my own car payment, phone bill, groceries, I own my house and support myself. So I don't have an extra 400+ just lying around to invite "just another person". Your wedding, your invitations, your money and your fucking business.
    Girl I am just interested in what you're feeding people for $13.30/head.

You're wrong, of course, but I want to know what's on the menu.
    @beethery - I love you.  That is all.
  • DaniBites said:
    First off, let me start with it is YOUR wedding. You are NOT obligated to invite ANY of your family members SO's. I sure as hell am not. I already have an issue with my father inviting more people on my side of the family than I can afford and HE won't even help pay for anything. It's just me and my groom. I want a small intimate wedding. Would I love all my family to be there, sure. Do I want all of their SO's there? Uh, no. I don't know them, I don't have enough money and I refuse to feel "obligated" to invite someone I and my Groom don't know or don't want to my wedding. It's not rude, I simply can't afford a freaking 10 K wedding. Nor do I want to go into debt feeding my entire extended family, and their temporary SO's. And for all of you saying "what's another person"... Well, when you have thirty fucking cousins and they all bring their SO's that's an extra 30 fucking people. That's another 400 dollars(just for food). I don't know about you, but I have my own car payment, phone bill, groceries, I own my house and support myself. So I don't have an extra 400+ just lying around to invite "just another person". Your wedding, your invitations, your money and your fucking business.

Your ideas and attitude are equally gross.  Go get married at city hall and save your FUCKING money and save your guests from a poorly hosted event.
    @DaniBites - she did get married in city hall.  She's not even inviting SOs for her PPD
  • Haha I read that post second unfortunately @dcbride86

What a special snowflake she is indeed.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • pegasuskatpegasuskat member
    First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited December 2014
    Why do you get to decide if their SO's are temporary?  I'm pretty sure if it was them not inviting you husband (not FI) since you are already married - you would be having a fit.  If you are talking to your friends/family like this, I don't think your really going to have a problem with having to many people to feed at your PPD.
    Husbands can be temporary too, babe.  

And that's one cheap PPD you've got going there.  My wedding - which my H & I paid for by ourselves, with house, two cars, PSE&G, FiOS, cell phones, NJ car insurance on said two cars, other bills, pets and their crazy vet bills and prescription food, and everything else maintained, and in the midst of which I lost my job - was over $120/person.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Why do people cite their list of responsibilities as if it's supposed to justify anything? Like really. You're an adult. Those are adult things. That's like complaining about how much time and energy it requires to raise children lol kinda comes with the territory.....

Too much this.  I'm just trying to imagine what my mother would say if I complained to her that I couldn't afford my own wedding since I had rent and bills to pay.  (Hint: it would sound something along the lines of, "You fucking idiot.  Of course you do.  You're an adult, dumbass.  If you can't handle that, you can't handle getting married.  Now where's my scotch?")
    Anniversary

• wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    beethery said:
    Girl I am just interested in what you're feeding people for $13.30/head.

You're wrong, of course, but I want to know what's on the menu.
    She's probably having a surprise potluck/wedding, as deceit is the primary dish on that particular menu.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards