Plus-Sized

Cardigan with wedding dress (December wedding)?

I am getting married this December and I fully expect it to be cold and snowy (I am from Canada). Since I'm not really a fan of fur stoles or fur capes, I am trying to find alternatives that are both comfy and warm enough that I won't freeze during the few outdoor pictures we plan on taking. Since I love wearing cardigans, I thought adding a nice cardigan would be both warm and fit with my style. That being said, I don't know if I should go with a coloured cardigan (our colours are purples, greens and silver), or go with a more neutral (or even white) cardigan. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

These are a few pictures that I found as inspiration...

Style-wise, our reception is being held at a lodge in the country. Think wood paneled walls, stone fireplaces, and a warm holiday-type atmosphere.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Cardigan with wedding dress (December wedding)?

• I'm Canadian, and no way in hell would I wear only a sweater outside in December!  

Anywho, I prefer more neutral accessories on a bride.  Also, TBH, I dislike cardigans with formal wedding gowns.
  • If you're a cardigan person, I think wearing one with your wedding dress is a cute idea.  If it was me, I'd pick a color, rather than a neutral because I'm not a fan of wearing all white/ivory.  I think you should pick whatever color/neutral feels more "you", though.
  • I'm not a fan of cardigans with wedding gowns. I really feel like it makes the dress look very casual. But if you like the look, there isn't anything wrong with it. I just think there are more formal alternatives.
  • I think it's a cute idea. I love those pictures! The brides look like they may have a little bit of an eclectic type wedding, but I say GO WITH WHAT YOU WANT!
  • I think it depends on your dress. I've seen pics where they look great with a wedding dress but then otheres where the caridgan totally took away from the dress and it looked bad. You can go with whatever color you want, but keep options open in regard to a short one or a regular length one, try to find one that will compliment your dress, not hide it.
  • I have a white long-sleeved shrug sweater.  With my dress it doesn't look awful.  I don't think I'll need it until it's time to leave the reception but I'm happy to have the option just in case it's not 60 and sunny as predicted. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm not a fan of cardigans with wedding gowns. I really feel like it makes the dress look very casual. But if you like the look, there isn't anything wrong with it. I just think there are more formal alternatives.
    I couldn't agree more.  I wear cardigans with jeans....no way would I pair the most expensive and formal dress I'll ever wear with something so casual.  

And with the examples you posted, my eyes are drawn right to the colored cardigan.  Assuming you're spending a bit of money on your wedding dress, don't you want people's eyes drawn to that, not a ~$30 cardigan?

I got married in December.  I took (pre look) pictures outside with nothing covering the dress.  I had bare shoulders.  It was 40 degrees. I was perfectly fine.  If I was in Canada or the weather was colder, I would find something more formal (and warm) to wear or find a pretty spot indoors near a fireplace and take photos.
  • My wedding is 12.13.14 and I am wearing a cardigan as well. I am having a more eclectic wedding though. I am wearing a champagne colored dress, its not as formal as some I have seen. I did go with a cream colored cardigan, and love the look.

• Thanks for the suggestions! I've decided that I will borrow my grandmother's fur cape for outside pictures (when it will be coldest), and I have a light coloured cardigan (a pretty lavender) for the reception, in case I get cold.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I love the cardigan wedding dress look. Beautiful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards