Moms and Maids
Options

Another MOB dress question

Do people care if the MOB rewears the dress she wore to her other daughters' wedding, which was only a year and a half before?

Background story: My mother suffered from a stroke 2 years ago. Wheelchair bound and is mute. A year and a half ago, my sister got married but she was also taking care of my mother at the time, so they had a lot of time to go to the mall and try on things (very time consuming not only because of the wheelchair but because she's gotten particularly picky). I don't want people to side eye my mother, even though I know it would be on them and not her. Most of the guests list is overlapped. FTR, I could care less, its a beautiful dress and she feels beautiful in it and that's what is important. 

imageimage

Re: Another MOB dress question

• Options
    I honestly don't remember what my own mother wore to my brothers wedding and had to go look it up just now.  I don't think anyone would mind, if your mother feels beautiful in it, by all means she should wear it again!

• Options
    If she loves the dress and feels great in it then I say she should wear it.  

Honestly, I can barely remember what my MIL wore to my wedding (I would have to look at a picture to remember).  I only remember what my Mom wore because I went with her to her fitting and she bombarded me with pictures when she was purchasing it.

But unless the dress was a huge highlighter pink ballgown with puffy sleeves and a matching hat then I am sure no one will really recall that it is the same dress.

• Options
    edited December 2014

The guests won't remember what your mom wore over a year ago.TBH, they probably wouldn't even notice if you wore the same wedding gown that your sister wore. Your mom should wear her beautiful dress. If you like, you can add different accessories - a shawl and different jewelry - to change it up a bit.

• Options
    MairePoppy great idea! Maybe I'll go and get her a new bracelet and earrings, so at least she feels like she's not wearing the exact same thing (though, I don't even know if she remembers what she wore that day either tbh)

imageimage

• Options
    If the dress is knee length, a shawl can be placed across her knees for modesty. You never know what a camera lens will find.

• Options
    My mother is wearing the same dress she wore to my brother's wedding, to my own wedding. We joke that it's her "my child's wedding" dress
    Just Married!

• Options
    Do people care if the MOB rewears the dress she wore to her other daughters' wedding, which was only a year and a half before?

Background story: My mother suffered from a stroke 2 years ago. Wheelchair bound and is mute. A year and a half ago, my sister got married but she was also taking care of my mother at the time, so they had a lot of time to go to the mall and try on things (very time consuming not only because of the wheelchair but because she's gotten particularly picky). I don't want people to side eye my mother, even though I know it would be on them and not her. Most of the guests list is overlapped. FTR, I could care less, its a beautiful dress and she feels beautiful in it and that's what is important. 
    I think you just answered your own question. :)
  • Options

Good lord, of course she can wear the same dress! Especially in these circumstances, but even in ordinary times, fancy clothes don't get worn that much, and any occasion to do so should be taken.

Anyone thinking of her dress must be quite shallow. People don't really remember stuff, they are all wrapped up in themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards