Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

sheer bodice

Okay I need some help. When I first started dress shopping, my ideal and first dress I tried on was Alfred Angelo's Belle dress. I fell in love with one of them, the only thing I wasn't sure of was how much poof there was. I tried on a dress last Sunday that was a ball gown but the bodice was lace and sheer that you could add a liner if you didn't want to be see through. I love that concept but the dress was a little to plain and didn't have the Belle ruffles. I tried googling sheer bodice and see through bodice but couldn't find anything. I don't know if a lot of dresses are sheer but they add the liner for pics and descriptions. Does anyone know of any sheer dresses? And my dad is paying up to 2000 for dress, alterations, veil and accessories.

Re: sheer bodice

• Options
    You want the sheer bodice?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Yes :) I loved it! I wanted something beautiful, elegant, sparkly, ball gown but yet sexy and I felt the sheer bodice was that. I found one other by Christina wu style 15470.
  • Options
    Something like this?

Pnina Tornai - Maybe you can find a sample or pre-owned in your range.  Her stuff is pricey. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah something like that! Maybe less ruffles and more of a rouche look or just flat ball gown bottom.
  • Options
    atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    I think sheer bodices look like lingerie.  It's trashy for a church wedding if it isn't lined.  And with lining, might still be borderline inappropriate.  It depends on the dress, the amount of cleavage, the lining, and the back.  Have you considered whether you'll love the sheer look when you look at the photos in 10 years, or the photo of you standing with your grandfather?  Something timeless might be a better choice.

But completely appropriate if you're on My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

Maybe you want to look like this:

In fact:

• Options
    I'm sorry, I think that sheer bodices look like lingerie. Not very elegant for a bride, IMO. 

• Options
    A sheer bodice is not elegant. It reminds me of something Carmen Electra or a playboy bunny would wear to their weddings. Not an elegant or classy loom at all...

I'm not trying to sound like a prude, but why would you want to wear something that mimics lingerie in front of your future in laws and your own family? May I recommend skipping the sheer bodice as part of your wedding dress and buying some really sexy lingerie for the 'after party' with your FH?
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    ninaleigh89ninaleigh89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2014
    I'm sorry but I'm kinda of taking a back here ladies. Everyone tells me to get the dress I want. I was asking if anyone knew of dresses like this, not your opinions. I am not getting married in a church, I am a size 1/3 but I have curves and a butt. I love ball gowns and never have a reason to wear one, but I also like sheer. My dad had no problem with the dress I tried on and it didn't show anything inappropriate. I see nothing wrong with what HPUgirl27 posted as long as the boobs are covered. The personality is what makes something trashy. This is our day and I get to decide what look I want and I know my fiancé wants me to get a dress I want. We are doing first look photos as well and if he has a problem with the sheer I can add the lining. But I know him and I know what he will think and that's all that matters is OUR opinion because it's OUR day and no one elses. I wanted to try on a few dresses with the sheer so I can compare to the other ones I love. I didn't say I was getting a sheer. I want to get all my options on the table to compare.
  • Options
    Of course you are welcome to wear what you want.

Are you planning on giving your guests the same lecture that you just gave us, because I can pretty much guarantee that at least some of them will share our thoughts.

All class right there.
  • Options
    Honestly yes if anyone says anything to me, I will tell them that's what I want. Seeing as the majority of our guests are family, they just want what we want. My personality fits that kind of dress. I like sheer and I like to show off my good figure as long as I have it. To me, trashy would be a short dress, cleavage, and sheer. Even a short dress as a bride I feel is meh. But that's my personal choice and I would only tell a bride that if she asked for my advice. But once again, that's what my ideal wedding would be that fits my personality. Some brides make untraditional styles work because that's who they are and that's all that matters. All I want to do is try on dresses and compare the ones I really love. No harm in trying on different styles.
  • Options
    Echoing other PPs, I would raise my eyebrows with see-through bodice, however, you can wear whatever you want, of course.  So, here are some dress suggestions:

I think this goes for about $1000, but it is under $1500 according to The Knot   http://www.allurebridals.com/products/2706

$458.00 at BBP  http://tonybowls.com/legala/prom-dresses/113538/
  • Options
    weddingcactusweddingcactus member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    Mostly I've seen/heard of dresses with sheer corset areas from Pnina Tornai. That said, I haven't actively looked for them, so there may be more. Sheer isn't right for me, but I honestly do think there are some pretty ones out there (just looking at pictures online). You can also find slightly less sheer or nude lined semi-sheer dresses. I tried on some Watters dresses and they were gorgeous. 

Pnina Tornai

Watters

Lazaro
    Edit: I do not know the prices on these gowns. 
  • Options
    atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2014

I'm sorry but I'm kinda of taking a back here ladies. Everyone tells me to get the dress I want. I was asking if anyone knew of dresses like this, not your opinions. I am not getting married in a church, I am a size 1/3 but I have curves and a butt. I love ball gowns and never have a reason to wear one, but I also like sheer. My dad had no problem with the dress I tried on and it didn't show anything inappropriate. I see nothing wrong with what HPUgirl27 posted as long as the boobs are covered. The personality is what makes something trashy. This is our day and I get to decide what look I want and I know my fiancé wants me to get a dress I want. We are doing first look photos as well and if he has a problem with the sheer I can add the lining. But I know him and I know what he will think and that's all that matters is OUR opinion because it's OUR day and no one elses. I wanted to try on a few dresses with the sheer so I can compare to the other ones I love. I didn't say I was getting a sheer. I want to get all my options on the table to compare.

Are you 19? It sounds like it.

And it's not that simple. Between your first look and ceremony starting, you can't take two minutes and just "add the lining." This is something a tailor works with you to select the right color and sews in. Perhaps you're thinking of a corset modesty panel.

Good luck. Hope you find your dream dress. And that you're relatives aren't clutching their pearls. The longer you're here, the more you'll learn that when you post a question, posters will tell you what they think, not what you want to hear. If you want to be told everything you think up is perfect, feel free to head over to Weddingbee. I hear they're a lot nicer. Sometimes they even tell posters that potluck weddings are a good idea. So I'm sure they love lingerie-like dresses.

#ppd
  • Options
    JMHO, but I think see through bodices look really tacky.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    So why did you post?  Good luck with that pretty princess attitude you have going.  It's YOUR DAAAAYYYYY!!!!!!!  Yeah, right.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Well, yes, of course you can wear whatever you want to wear. But no, it's not only your opinion that matters. You want your guests to be comfortable, right? So, they're opinion matters. Some of your guests might be very uncomfortable with a sheer bodice because to them, like to many posters here, it looks like lingerie. 

Also, when you post something, you're opening yourself to people's opinions. And that's valuable. They could point things out that you wouldn't have thought about. In this case, they pointed out that to many people, sheer bodices aren't elegant for a wedding because they're reminiscent of lingerie. Maybe you hadn't thought of that. Of course, you can do whatever you want, but don't expect people to tell you all your ideas are great and that you should do whatever you want because it's YOUR day. 
  • Options
    When you post to a public forum, people allowed to respond however they want. If someone came here and said they were going to rob a bank and wanted input on the getaway car, people would tell them to reconsider the whole plan. Make sense?

You can still "show off your figure while you have it" without dressing in lingerie that has a skirt to your wedding. Of course you can wear whatever you want but if you think people won't be thinking the same things you've read here, you're dreaming. If you don't care, Pnina has a bunch of sheer choices.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I dont hate sheer bodices but I openly admit I am very tacky in a Dolly Parton sort of way.

It's very hard to find sheer bodices and not go over your budget. Would you consider a used dress from preownedweddingdresses.com?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Well, yes, of course you can wear whatever you want to wear. But no, it's not only your opinion that matters. You want your guests to be comfortable, right? So, they're opinion matters. Some of your guests might be very uncomfortable with a sheer bodice because to them, like to many posters here, it looks like lingerie. 

Also, when you post something, you're opening yourself to people's opinions. And that's valuable. They could point things out that you wouldn't have thought about. In this case, they pointed out that to many people, sheer bodices aren't elegant for a wedding because they're reminiscent of lingerie. Maybe you hadn't thought of that. Of course, you can do whatever you want, but don't expect people to tell you all your ideas are great and that you should do whatever you want because it's YOUR day. 
    I think the bolded is a tad over the top here.  The bride's wedding dress is one of the few aspects of a wedding that does NOT affect the guest's comfort.  Sure, they may side-eye a dress or think it's inappropriate, but I'm sorry, it does NOT affect their comfort.  Yes, OP should know that some of her guests may whisper behind her back at her choice.  But if she's ok with that, then it's her choice as to what to wear, particularly as she's not getting married in a church.

--------

Agreed. Guests dont need to be factored into the decision about your dress. The only person's opinion that matters is her Dad's since he is paying.

I think the sheer bodice is tacky. But if you want to wear it, go for it.

Also, "showing off your figure while you have it" is a really immature way of thinking.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

I think the bolded is a tad over the top here.  The bride's wedding dress is one of the few aspects of a wedding that does NOT affect the guest's comfort.  Sure, they may side-eye a dress or think it's inappropriate, but I'm sorry, it does NOT affect their comfort.  Yes, OP should know that some of her guests may whisper behind her back at her choice.  But if she's ok with that, then it's her choice as to what to wear, particularly as she's not getting married in a church.

--------

Agreed. Guests dont need to be factored into the decision about your dress. The only person's opinion that matters is her Dad's since he is paying.

I think the sheer bodice is tacky. But if you want to wear it, go for it.

Also, "showing off your figure while you have it" is a really immature way of thinking.

According to an interview with Farrah Abraham, she made her sex tape to celebrate her young and fit body.  Granted, she later gave all kinds of other explanations.  But flaunting your body just because you're young or you think it looks good doesn't always prove to be the best rationale for things.  But carry on with your sheer bodice if it makes you happy on your day.  #ppd
  • Options
    Is this a PPD? Did I miss that part?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    OP has never mentioned a PPD.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Personally, I think sheer bodices make you look cheap and trashy, but at the same time, a bride can wear whatever she wants on her wedding day. Just be prepared for comments behind your back, because lots of people think sheer bodices look trashy. Your dad might be okay with it, but your grandparents, aunts, etc. might whisper and throw you some shade.

Also, if you are getting married in a church, you might want to double check if that style is okay. Some churches mandate that you have the modesty panel sewn in.

Truthfully, I don't mind them if they have the modesty panel. They still look very pretty and sexy without being too revealing and trashy.
  • Options
    While I agree some sheer dresses can look unflattering, I think a lot can look classy and fun. I was obsessed with this dress for a while:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/205984723/boho-beach-sheer-lace-chiffon-tulle?ref=shop_home_active_10

I think you should wear whatever you're comfortable in. Your guests' comfort is not going to compromised because you're wearing a sheer dress. Some people like to make something out of nothing in these threads
  • Options
    marie2785marie2785 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    Alfred angelo has one which is vey affordable($1600ish, and the alfred angelo brand-run stores always do 10% off sales). Try it on with added layers under to make the skirt fuller. 

Heres me in the dress. I added a liner and straps, but you can get the idea of what it looks like with a slightly fuller skirt. I didn't pick this dress, but I loved it. The detailing (beading, crystals and pop out flowers) are gorgeous! 
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    http://www.camillelavie.com/dress/illusion-corset-sequin-skirt-gown_41790-3226w

This dress is very pretty and its in your budget $1,299.99

"If you really want something you don’t stop for anyone or anything  until you get it".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards