Chit Chat
Options

Exciting house reno stuff!

I've mentioned here before that the house we own is the house my husband grew up in. The entire house inside and out needs to be renovated. We just picked out tile for the master bath. Then in January, we're going to refinance to get done all we need to do. 

Last night, I had this awesome idea. And bonus, H likes it too. I'm so freaking excited! We're going to turn the guest room right next to our bedroom in a closet/dressing room. Then, we're going to take our current closet and make that the laundry room. OMG, you guys. A laundry room off the bedroom. It's my fucking DREAM. 

We're then going to redo the office and put in a small bed there too. And then have the large guestroom downstairs. YAY. 

Re: Exciting house reno stuff!

• Options

How exciting! We will probably inherit the house H grew up in as well - it will also require some pretty hefty renovation.

And oh my goddddd I would give anything to have my laundry room right off my bedroom. I thought I was spoiled having it on the first floor instead of the basement!

• Options

That sounds frigen amazing!!!!

See laundry has never bothered me. I honestly don't mind the 10 steps to/ from the basment. Maybe because I do laundry every 2-3 weeks. Guess it would be worse if I did it more often? We don't have a need right now, I hng most of my work clothes back up after the day and his is a uniform that gets washed at work.

But a closet that big is definitely a dream, you can do the whole wedding gown in a shadow box on the wall thing! And clothing change montages like Sex & the City movie!!!! haha

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

See laundry has never bothered me. I honestly don't mind the 10 steps to/ from the basment. Maybe because I do laundry every 2-3 weeks. Guess it would be worse if I did it more often? We don't have a need right now, I hng most of my work clothes back up after the day and his is a uniform that gets washed at work.

But a closet that big is definitely a dream, you can do the whole wedding gown in a shadow box on the wall thing! And clothing change montages like Sex & the City movie!!!! haha

Girl, this is exactly what I'm thinking! 
  • Options
    I love house reno stuff. We just bought our home, and it needs lots of upgrades, but I am exciting thinking of embarking on something each year or two. I dream of an amazing closet; alas, we'll stick with what we have. I did install all new shelving to make it much more spacious though.
  • Options
    scribe95 said:
    Sounds great. My only caution would be don't do something that would drop down the number of bedrooms. This is important in future resale.
    Oh, absolutely. The house will still be a 4 bedroom house. And we're actually now going to have 3 full bathrooms instead of just 2.5
  • Options
    That is so exciting!  I'm slightly jealous I have always wanted a laundry room off the bedroom too.. It will be so convenient for you.  We are adding a bathroom/closet combo in our house right now, and I can't wait until it is finished.
  • Options
    That set up is also my dream! I am now living vicariously through you. I am picturing a closet with an island.... *sigh*

We talked to a friend who is also a contractor about having the laundry room by the bedrooms and he said one thing we hadn't thought about - they're LOUD. He recommended reinforcing the floors, majorly insulating the walls and using an insulated door to muffle the sound. Something to think about as you either DIY or contract out. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    That set up is also my dream! I am now living vicariously through you. I am picturing a closet with an island.... *sigh*

We talked to a friend who is also a contractor about having the laundry room by the bedrooms and he said one thing we hadn't thought about - they're LOUD. He recommended reinforcing the floors, majorly insulating the walls and using an insulated door to muffle the sound. Something to think about as you either DIY or contract out. 
    An island! What a great idea! I'm thinking a love seat too. 

That's a great tip for the laundry room. Thank you!
  • Options
    You must share the after pics!
  • Options
    I legit have a board on Pinterest titled "Closet Envy." I am feeling that right now, too. 

It's a dream of mine to have a closet that will hold ALL of my stuff. Getting rid of said "stuff" is not an option. 

I want pictures to drool over when it's done!
  • Options
    You must share the after pics!
    I absolutely will! I have a feeling it's going to be a long time until then..lol. 
  • Options
    OMG I want to redo my bath/closet soo much! Get a soaker tub, extend the shower, lengthen the vanity and put a make up table in. Then, replace our wall of sliding glass doors with a regular wall with a standard door to the closet. Add shelves where the sliding glass used to be and make it a much more usable space. My closet is a little narrow, so I don't think I can get an island in there, but maybe a chandelier. 

One day.

• Options
    SBmini said:
    OMG I want to redo my bath/closet soo much! Get a soaker tub, extend the shower, lengthen the vanity and put a make up table in. Then, replace our wall of sliding glass doors with a regular wall with a standard door to the closet. Add shelves where the sliding glass used to be and make it a much more usable space. My closet is a little narrow, so I don't think I can get an island in there, but maybe a chandelier. 

One day.

Who's room closet is that?!  What a magnificent goal.

After you are done with your dream bathroom you can come and do mine ;-)  I really want a clawfoot tub. . .

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    A second floor laundry room is an absolute requirement for my new house. And a walk in closet I can do a cartwheel in.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

</blockquote

I fully approve of doing a SATC style clothing change montage.

Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    I want a laundry room off of my bedroom! I want to lay in bed and throw clothes directly into the machine. Like lazy person basketball.

I'm jealous.

My laundry room is down in the darkest scariest corner of the basement.  I get the heeby jeebies down there at night. No good reason at all, I just do. 
  • Options
    @lolo883 I've heard a lot pf problems with 2nd floor laundry and leaks. Especially the dryer exhaust, if it's in the the center (not against an outter wall) and the piping has to go over other rooms to get to the outter wall. 

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

@lolo883 I've heard a lot pf problems with 2nd floor laundry and leaks. Especially the dryer exhaust, if it's in the the center (not against an outter wall) and the piping has to go over other rooms to get to the outter wall. 

We had it in my house growing up and never had a problem. Drain in the floor, dryer venting directly outside. :)

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    This is a very valid point.  My washer backed up and flooded not very long ago, and if it had been upstairs it would have been a nightmare, instead of a pain in the ass. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards