Budget Weddings Forum

Getting college music students to play at your ceremony/cocktail hour?

I am in the middle of the process of planning my wedding in Milwaukee, for 120 people with a small budget. So far, I must say I am proud of myself for managing to keep the budget bellow $10,000 and still having it all the way we would like it, but I am a bit stuck with looking for music for the ceremony and cocktail hour. Our ceremony will be very short (about 30min) and the cocktail hour will be around 1hr, and we would like some strings (duo preferibly) or harp to be played. I am having a hard time finding affordable options! I read somewhere  a passing comment about getting music students to paly at your wedding, and was wondering if anyone could gie me more info on that, and how to find them!  

Re: Getting college music students to play at your ceremony/cocktail hour?

• wrigleyvillewrigleyville member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    Do you have a college and/or music studios near you? If it's a college, ask the music department if you can hang a sign on their bulletin board in the student commons area. If it's a music studio/store, ask them if they have a bulletin board (they almost always do).

If those aren't options, you could post something on Craigslist under "gigs". Some musicians advertise on Craigslist as well.

Do not feel bad about asking them to "audition". You want to be sure they can 1) actually play their instruments and 2) play them well. I would ask them if they've ever played a wedding before, and if not, are they comfortable with the music you've selected? If you haven't selected anything yet, they might be able to help you choose some things.

Also, I would draft up a contract for them to sign, and ask them if there's anything they want to add. That way, you have things in writing.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    How much are you planning on paying them?  $200 would be about right.  Wrigleyville has good suggestions.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Keep in mind that music majors are already accomplished musicians and don't have to work for really cheap rates.  10 years ago we hired a harpist/music student from Michigan State to play at my DD's wedding.  She charged 75.00 an hour and we hired her for 2 hours.  Her rates at that time were very competitive.
  • Do you have a college and/or music studios near you? If it's a college, ask the music department if you can hang a sign on their bulletin board in the student commons area. If it's a music studio/store, ask them if they have a bulletin board (they almost always do).

If those aren't options, you could post something on Craigslist under "gigs". Some musicians advertise on Craigslist as well.

Do not feel bad about asking them to "audition". You want to be sure they can 1) actually play their instruments and 2) play them well. I would ask them if they've ever played a wedding before, and if not, are they comfortable with the music you've selected? If you haven't selected anything yet, they might be able to help you choose some things.

Also, I would draft up a contract for them to sign, and ask them if there's anything they want to add. That way, you have things in writing.

Thank you so much! Very helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards