Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Inviting new coworkers?

First, I know (or at least I think I know?) that there's no etiquette requiring me to invite coworkers. It's honestly easier for me if I don't, because as I've mentioned on these boards before our guest list is crunched. The coworker situation has been awkward because we (a) have a very friendly office, particularly my individual department; (b) people have been extremely inquisitive about the wedding, esp because some folks knew my FI when he was a student here and we are getting married here, at our alma mater -- I know you are supposed to avoid discussing the wedding with anyone you won't invite, but no matter how many times I use the 'we're having a really small wedding' line that doesn't seem to shut down conversation, and being evasive seems to make people uncomfortable, and  (c) I had a very close coworker, almost-friend, who got married a few years ago and did invite our department (8 people including spouses). So I've been proceeding with the idea that my immediate group of coworkers might have to take precedence over some friends, which sucks, but FI and I are having to make a lot of concessions to others' expectations, and are used to this. 

So now, to add complication, said close coworker recently left to take another position, and we are working on hiring a replacement. Our tentative timeline puts the replacement in this job somewhere 1-3 months before invites go out. So now I'm not sure: do I just take this excuse to skip coworkers entirely? (can I do that without being rude?) To me it seems rude to invite someone I've known for such a short time (surely this will come across as gift-grabbing?) but since this person will be my office mate, I don't see how I could possibly invite other coworkers but not them. The only coworker I really have emotional investment in having present is my boss, but I would not invite her unless I invited the whole group. Really not sure what to do on this. 

Re: Inviting new coworkers?

• Options
    Myself, I don't believe in inviting co-workers unless they are actual friends. So I don't think you have to invite any of them, unless you want to.

It is a good idea to invite in circles, but it is not requirement. However, if you are sending out your invites now (or soon) to your current co-workers, I wouldn't feel obligated to invite the newbie. They shouldn't be offended either. If I was the new coworker I'd feel uncomfortable if I were invited to a coworkers wedding when I'd only been there 3 months- I think I would feel I was invited just because everyone else was. Even more so if it was a small wedding to begin with. 
  • Options

Really, really, really :)...you don't have to invite your coworkers.  I'm sure they are asking a lot of questions because they are genuinely interested and excited for you.  Not necessarily expecting an invitation.

I've done the same thing when a coworker is getting married.  I'll ask questions because wedding planning is something I enjoy hearing and talking about.  I've never expected an invitation.

I also think it would be okay to invite JUST your boss and her SO.

However, I do agree that, if you invite everyone from your department...you should also invite the new hire.  If I was the new hire...while I wouldn't necessarily expect an invitation...I would be super excited if I got one.  Like I was already considered part of the "group".  Otherwise, it is like the one kid out of class who didn't get invited to the b-day party.  Even for a new hire less exuberant than myself, I don't think it comes off as gift grabby at all.  I think it comes off as being inclusive, even if they choose not to go.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    AddieCake, that would definitely be my ideal....I think one of the reasons I am so ready to accept this is that our list of 'required' family members is so long that it already feels like we have little agency over the guest list. We both come from families where family time and family concerns have always been required to take precedence over friends / what we really care about, so maybe we are just in a rut.

FI has not established any relationships with his coworkers and so is unconcerned about inviting them, but I've been worried that I locked myself into this because any discussion about the wedding happened at all at work. Maybe I am overthinking? 

SP29, that is what I was thinking also. Our wedding is only going to be about 100 people so it will be quite small. I probably would decline as a coworker! Our invites will not be going out until May at the earliest, but academic hiring processes take forever so I anticipate the newbie starting no earlier than March and probably later than that. Kind of a thin line whether that's enough notice or not. 
  • Options
    I get it. I know not everyone was/is as fortunate as I was regarding families and the guest list. I do not think you need to invite your coworkers,though, unless they are your friends and you do stuff with them outside of work. I invited a couple coworkers that I wouldn't normally have b/c I'm a teacher and I wanted to make sure to invite everyone in my department so nobody felt snubbed. But in your case, I don't think it is necessary. If you want to invite your boss and her SO, do so w/o feeling obligated to invite others. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I don't think you need to invite co-workers if you aren't close with them. I invited 3 co-workers and their spouses. One co-worker didn't have a date, so she ended up bringing another co-worker. I just asked that they keep it quiet at the office because I didn't want anyone to feel snubbed. 
  • Options
    First, I know (or at least I think I know?) that there's no etiquette requiring me to invite coworkers. It's honestly easier for me if I don't, because as I've mentioned on these boards before our guest list is crunched. The coworker situation has been awkward because we (a) have a very friendly office, particularly my individual department; (b) people have been extremely inquisitive about the wedding, esp because some folks knew my FI when he was a student here and we are getting married here, at our alma mater -- I know you are supposed to avoid discussing the wedding with anyone you won't invite, but no matter how many times I use the 'we're having a really small wedding' line that doesn't seem to shut down conversation, and being evasive seems to make people uncomfortable, and  (c) I had a very close coworker, almost-friend, who got married a few years ago and did invite our department (8 people including spouses). So I've been proceeding with the idea that my immediate group of coworkers might have to take precedence over some friends, which sucks, but FI and I are having to make a lot of concessions to others' expectations, and are used to this. 

So now, to add complication, said close coworker recently left to take another position, and we are working on hiring a replacement. Our tentative timeline puts the replacement in this job somewhere 1-3 months before invites go out. So now I'm not sure: do I just take this excuse to skip coworkers entirely? (can I do that without being rude?) To me it seems rude to invite someone I've known for such a short time (surely this will come across as gift-grabbing?) but since this person will be my office mate, I don't see how I could possibly invite other coworkers but not them. The only coworker I really have emotional investment in having present is my boss, but I would not invite her unless I invited the whole group. Really not sure what to do on this. 

I agree with Addie.  Also, I would feel super weird if I was the new officemate and I had just been invited to your wedding after working with you for less than 4 months.  That may actually come across as gift-grabby.

Plus, I worked in a rather close-knit group.  When Jane had her wedding and invited the team, it was great.  When Cindy got married and didn't invite the team, it wasn't an issue at all.  

I say invite boss + s/o and that's it.
  • Options
    I think you answered your own question when you said it would be easier if you didn't invite your co-workers. You're certainly not obligated to invite them.

I'm in a situation at work where it's either invite my team of 7 with their SOs or none at all. All of them are women and are asking many questions about the wedding and whatnot. I still have 10 months to go so I'm not crossing the "to invite or not to invite" bridge until it's time for invitations to go out.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I'm in favor of just the boss or none at all if you will have to displace guests you really want to invite.

When we were planning, I had a leader and another co-worker badger me all the time about my wedding plans (and subsequently force me to listen to them recount wedding horror stories) and I had no intention of inviting them. It's hard to "bean dip" the conversation, but the less you can even mention or bring up the wedding the better.  

To them I was the least interested bride at work I was quite the opposite IRL.

Fortunately, I left the department before the invitations went out.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone -- sounds like there's a pretty clear consensus that inviting new coworker would be weird and inviting coworkers in general is unnecessary. I'm iffy on inviting boss without anyone else because I wouldn't know who to seat her with -- our guest list is about 3/4 relatives, friends are all young enough to be her kids, and grad school friends who would at least share career interests with her have already had to be cut. So it might be easiest to leave coworkers out entirely. 

"Bean dipping" the conversation IS really difficult -- and I didn't expect it to be. I think a lot of people are just interested, but it's hard to tell (of course, the people who have most seemed like they might expect an invite are not in my immediate department anyway). It has been easier to avoid the topic since my office mate / former coworker left. 

Anyway, I appreciate all of your advice, ladies! This makes me feel much better about reserving those guest list slots for good friends. 

• Options
    I think you're fine in not inviting your co-workers. I didn't invite any of mine. Honestly, we really don't have relationships outside of work. I did invite a former co-worker that I was very close with, but we get together a lot and did while we were working together. 
  • Options
    Friendly office =/= friends, you're in the clear. I would just keep going with the "yeah, the guest list is pretty tight", "we're focusing on close family/friends". If I were your co-worker, I'd probably be asking the same questions, just because I find it interesting and fun, and if that's the party line, I wouldn't be at all offended about not being invited.

Some people just love talking about this stuff, and I get why it can be a breach of etiquette, but as long as you're not the one running around the office with every little decision, you're really doing the right thing here. Keep it moving.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards