Wedding Party
Options

Feel guilted into asking flower girl

My fiance and I decided against a flower girl. There is one little girl, the daughter of the best man, that we had thought to ask but we did not want to leave out her older sister (who will be 9 or 10 at that time) that would put 3 of 4 family members in the wedding. We felt like that could be pretty expensive also considering that the wedding far and the couple would likely spend the whole weekend there, and we want them to have as much fun as possible. My fiance and I have a son together and my mother has volunteered to be on baby duty for the day.
Anyway back to the guilty feeling...
My father's brother has a daughter that will be just over two at that time (my father had me young and my uncle is 10 years younger than he is) I am not close to this child at all, I have met her 3 times in her entire life. When speaking with my father's mother she asked about the flower girl and I told her we were not having one and she immediately got an attitude with me. She seemed very hurt that we were not considering my cousin at all. I didn't say it to my grandmother but, my uncle and his wife have a VERY rocky marriage and his wife dislikes most of my family, I have never had any kind of a problem with her but it still makes me nervous to include them in any of our plans.

How can I gently to tell my grandmother that I do not want my cousin, her granddaughter, in the wedding?

Re: Feel guilted into asking flower girl

• Options
    You already did tell her.  Now just don't bring it up, and if she does, bean dip
  • Options
    If she brings it up again, tell her you are not having a flower girl and then change the subject. Repeat as necessary.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    When she brings it up.. "Oh we're not having a flower girl. How's your bridge group?"
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    What the PPs said. Acknowledge her comment: "We are not having a flower girl." Then bean dip. "This bean dip is fantastic!"

• Options
    Gotta go with all the pp's. It really IRKS me when people who have nothing to do with the wedding planning jump in with wants/demands.  By the way, I prefer salsa over bean dip.
  • Options
    Guac.  How's the guac?  That's how I'd want that convo to go down.  But anyway...  
  • Options
    Stick to your guns
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. It's not really anyone ele's business to demand that you include a flower girl if you don't want one. Don't let them pressure you into it. 
  • Options
    Pass the bean dip.
  • Options
    Ditto what PPs said. You already told her. If it comes up again, tell her again that you're not having a flower girl and change the subject (aka bean dip). 
  • Options

And geez!  I think "just turned 2" is a little on the young side for a FG anyway.  2 year olds are seriously unpredictable, to put it mildly, lol.  Nor do I think a 2-year-old would even realize or care if they are a FG or not.

But, not that her age matters anyway.  If you and FI don't want a FG, you don't want a FG.  End of discussion.  Grandma can throw a hissy fit if she wants, it is not her decision.  Stand firm.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree, just stand your ground and let them rage if they want to. You're perfectly within your rights to not want a flower girl. 

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    "We aren't having a flower girl. Bean dip?"
  • Options
    Okay, now I'm craving bean dip.  Anyone got a favorite recipe?
  • Options
    db1984 said:
    Okay, now I'm craving bean dip.  Anyone got a favorite recipe?
    That's EXACTLY how you do it!
  • Options
    Reading the knot forums always makes me want a good black bean dip in the worst way!

Achievement Unlocked: Survived Your Wedding! 
  • Options
    This came up at our Christmas party and I said something about "bean dip" and sneaked away, there was no bean dip. My Grandma asked my dad if I was drunk. 
  • Options
    This came up at our Christmas party and I said something about "bean dip" and sneaked away, there was no bean dip. My Grandma asked my dad if I was drunk. 
    When you "bean dip" you don't literally have to be talking about bean dip, especially if it makes no sense. You simply change the subject. Bean dip is just what we call doing that. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards