Nevada-Las Vegas

Comment from my father - lose weight!

So, today I come home and my Dad says randomly. You should start dieting so you can fit into your dress.
OUCH.
I have my dress sitting and waiting. It is perfect. And I fit into it perfectly 2 months ago. We are getting married April 8th so not long to go.
I am quite a fit girl,however after being a big runner for the past 3 years, I've had some problems wit my knees and have dramatically cut down my kms, and focused on boxing and weights. I don't look at the scales as muscle weighs more and I've had a 'weight' complex since I was younger.
I've become very nervous that this has changed my body shape - my legs have thickened out and my jeans are getting tight but everyone has been saying I look the same and I will be fine.

Hearing that I am visibly getting 'bigger' and 'should think about my dress' from my Dad is pretty upsetting, but probably true. AND ofcourse he has to tell me the week of Christmas...so basically ruined Christmas :(

SO, I have 12 weeks to lose the thickness, and start to slim down and I'm shitting myself. I currently train 6 days a week, some days I train twice a week. My plan is to continue at this level but increase the cardio to run distances (5-15km) 3 or 4 times a week.

Have you guys heard of any miracles out there? I know it is ridiculous to ask...

Re: Comment from my father - lose weight!

• Go try on your dress. It may fit perfect and you could be worrying for nothing. I will say...it is SUPER RUDE for your Dad to say ANYTHING! I can't believe the crazy things people say to brides (I had a "religious" issue recently where a friend told me my wedding won't be valid!). 

If your dress fit perfect before..I'm sure it will still fit. I would say do what makes YOU feel better. If everyone else says you are fine, then ignore your dad's mean comment. Being a fit person as you mentioned, you know there's no "miracle" out there. Focus on eating right, doing your workouts, and enjoying these last few months of planning :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Exercise (while important for your health and well-being) isn't what makes the most difference for weight loss, especially in a short period of time. You need to combine that with lowering calories, because all the exercise in the world will do nothing if you're eating as much as you burn. There are lots of online calculators out there to figure out, based on your weight, gender, age, activity level, etc., how many calories you need to lose a given amount of weight each week. If you do that and count accurately (weighing/measuring) and consistently (and keep exercising to maintain your lean muscle muscle mass and lose less of that), you will lose weight if that's what you want to do. There's no miracle, just calories in/calories out (unless you have a metabolic disorder.)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugh, I am sorry you received that comment. How frustrating! You sound incredibly healthy and fit, not to mention smart about maintaing health. Don't let a comment erode your confidence and outlook.

As hurtful as the comment may have been, try to shrug it off and focus on continuing to be healthy.

I am sure you will look amazing and glowing in your dress - and if you need some alterations as we all do to get a custom fit, then don't sweat it.

Keep up the great attitude!
  • thank you for the pick me up girls. I have avoided touching my dress for now as I don't want to ruin it. BUT I've tried on a bunch of dresses in my wardrobe and they're all ok, ran a 10km today fairly easy so I think my knees will hold out and I will start to slim soon. 

@amelisha yup thanks for the reminder. I am normally pretty clean and average about 1450 calories, minus calls burned. I don't want to go down to 1200 or into 'dieting' because I'll start to go into negatives and feel terrible.

*sigh* thank you for the comments. Surprisingly it is making me feel better…

ps. I'm giving my Dad the silent treatment because I'm a little shit like that ;)
  • LOL! You're PS comment made me chuckle :-) And I'm sure you are perfect!! :-)  I agree w/ all the girls above :-)
    Anniversary
  • I have now received 2 comments from sales clerks that I look pregnant (including one who said, "just in time for Chistmas....?!?!?!). When I shared my frustrations over these comments with my family, they just said that I probably do need to lose weight, stop eating carbs, drinking alcohol, etc. until the wedding. Soooooo... I'm totally in the same boat as you.

I'm not sure why people feel the need to comment on this. It's not like we don't know that our wedding day is going to be the day we are most photographed and will probably look back on those photos FOREVER.

Even coworkers have been tsk-tsking me if I look over the plethora of holiday goodies available, "you're on a wedding diet". Really ?

I'm just chalking it all up to ignorance.
  • My mom told everyone no candy/treats in my stocking this year since my first fitting is in January. Right now I'm annoyed because I really want candy but I'm sure in January I will be thanking her! I don't normally eat sweets (I eat really clean) so any little amount of candy will make me puff right up haha. So instead my fiancé bought me salted caramel flavored almonds :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • thanks all - I was surprisingly good over Christmas! only had 3 cookies :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards