Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

I am a street size 12, what style dresses have you tried that looks good on a 12?

I am a dress size 12 so i will probably be 14/16 bridal. I tried on a dress today (didn't fit) but i at least got an idea. I have no idea what style i like i just know i don't like satin dresses. The dress i tried today was one i thought would be flattering but it wasn't. I would love you get your opinions and preferably pictures if you have the same size as me . Im going dress shopping with my family next week and would love to try on ones good for my shape 

Re: I am a street size 12, what style dresses have you tried that looks good on a 12?

• Options
    I'm a 12 and my body looks best in fit and flare or A line. But not all "12s" are the same. I ended up with an organza A line with a slightly (like 2 inches) dropped waist - very princessy.

What style did you try on? I would never dream of a mermaid or trumpet - they look terrible on me, but again that's just my shape. GL! :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    HAHA I'm staying far away from mermaid and trumpet because i know they will show a little bit of my "fluffiness" haha I tried on is in the picture. I think i like the bottom but the top made me look like a box. Im very easy going and I'm excited to see what ideas people have on here. Im thinking A line is going to look the best just not with a lot of fabric up top like this one 

• Options
    It depends on where you carry your weight. I'm around a 12 but have an hourglass shape so trumpet looked best on me. If you're proportionally larger on bottom you might prefer a modified A-line. More of an apple shape, maybe a ballgown with a corset back.

• Options
    I'm definitely open to trying on trumpet because those are the dresses I like the most. I am very much a hourglass shape so that's good to know that It just might work ! Thank you
  • Options
    Who knows maybe I'll be pleasently surprised
  • Options
    With a true hourglass frame, your options are wide open. I'd stay away from a sheath, as it won't show off your natural shape, but that's about it.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I'm definitely open to trying on trumpet because those are the dresses I like the most. I am very much a hourglass shape so that's good to know that It just might work ! Thank you
    Go for it! Here's mine (Allure 9117). I think we ordered a 16, still had to let the hips out a size and take the bust and waist in 2-3 sizes. :-p

• Options
    I'm a size 12 or 14 street size wise and I found that I looked best in a-lines with structured bodices, but I have a bit of a belly and am self conscious of appearing asymmetrical (stupid scoliosis). I posted pictures of all the dresses I tried on here: http://forums.theknot.com/discussion/1034256/dress-shopping-experience
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    Dress size means little.  My daughter was a bridal size 14, but at 6 feet tall, she carried it well.  She found that dresses with ruching across the bodice were flattering to larger sizes.  Try on a variety of sizes to get a good idea of what flatters you best.  This is why you can't choose your dream dress from a photo!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    You never know what will look good until you try. I'm a street 12, and I never thought I'd fit into the dress I got b/c it was so slim, but I dare say it looked pretty damned good. I have a J-Lo ass, too, that I thought would look terrible in the more fitted dress, that inbound be accentuated, but it magically disappeared in my dress.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I am a street size 12 and I found the A-Line to be most flattering and comfortable on me.  Unlike CMGragain's daughter, I found the ruching to add bulk and actually made me look heavier.  But I thought for sure I would get a dress with ruching!  You just don't know what looks best on you until you start trying on.  Just keep an open mind and I'm sure you'll find a dress that looks wonderful on you!
  • Options
    Thank you all so much all of this is very helpful and you all look beautiful in your dresses !! 
  • Options
    When I was dress shopping, I was a street size 14/16 and very hourglassy.  I tried on a ton of different styles, and found that I loved dropped waist a-lines and some fit & flares the best. I ended up going with a modified A-line (the waist just sits a bit lower than a traditional A-line) in chiffon.

I had to buy a dress size 20W to accommodate my bust, but had about 5 inches taken in at the waist and about 2 inches taken in at the hips.  Don't worry about the size on the tag.  Buy what fits your body the best.  

This was my dress (Mori Lee)
  • Options
    Looks great. Yay I feel more confident going next week thanks ladies
  • Options
    I don't think it's what kind of dress looks good on what size, it's a dress you love fitted properly to your size.  If you have a large bust, don't pick a plunging neckline, or if you pick strapless, make sure it has cups sewn in/whatever you need to have adequate support but not cups running so far over it's racy/vulgar.  If you carry weight in your middle, a dress that isn't pulled so tight the waist ripples.  If you have a bodacious backside, a dress that isn't so tight that you can't sit or that leaves nothing to the imagination.

Just because you can squeeze into a dress doesn't mean it looks good (too racy, or just poor taste).  No one at your wedding is looking at the tag to see if the dress is a 10 or a 16.  Just because a dress is loose and flowy doesn't mean it looks good (droopy, sad, or imaginary baby bump...)  Pick a dress you love, get it in an appropriate size, and have a great tailor finish the details.
  • Options
    I am a curvy 14 and mermaids looked the best!  Get some spanx and go try some dresses on!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm a size 12 also, but I'm 2 sizes bigger on bottom than on top and I HATE anything that accentuates my lower half, but the ruching on this dress is very flattering on me.  I got a size 14 but need the whole top taken in somewhat, this pic was when I tried it on and my sister laced it up as tight as she could and it's still too big on top.  I would like more of the lacing to show as well so the seamstress might as well take it in all along the top.  

• Options
    As I posted earlier, try on a variety of shapes and styles.  Most brides - daughter included - choose something very different from what they had imagined would be their dream dress.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    I'm a 12/14 street size, and I carry most of my weight in my hips and thighs. I ended up with a drop waist A-line dress with a sweetheart neckline and no sleeves/straps (which tend to make my arms look even bigger and my shoulders look even wider). I felt awesome.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    I'm a street size 12, mostly hourglass but trending a bit towards pear-shaped. Based on advice from friends I initially tried on a lot of A-line dresses, but in the end fit-n-flare was right for me! Not at all what I would have guessed initially! Shape isn't the only thing to pay attention to - fabric and neckline also make a huge difference in how flattering a dress can be. Mine is a heavy/thick lace that hides anything that's not-so-smooth underneath, and has a deep V-neck that elongates my average-height body (I'm 5'5"). I love the sexy va-va-voom vibe - it felt more natural on me than the princess-like feeling I was getting in A-lines. Definitely try on a range of different shapes - you'll get a sense of what you like. Have fun!
  • Options
    I am a street sized 10/12 and am 5'6". I am a goblet shape, which means my weight is up high and also somewhat is in my tummy. I have skinny legs. 

I was surprised that the trumpet/mermaid style was actually the most flattering on me. The one I bought is heavily constructed around my trouble sections and really gives me a great shape, much more than I have naturally. My dress is a 14 and the dress makes me look much smaller than that. Kind of AW here but I'm posting a picture. 

I would try on a bunch of styles. If you're a pear shape you'll want something more a-line or ballgown, for example. 
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone this really has helped me ! I cant wait to go dress shopping next weekend
  • Options
    I found my dress !! Its the alfred angelo disney collection Ariel dress from last year. Its A line with a sweetheart neck line and its so fun i love it ! thanks for the help everyone 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards