Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Non-traditional invite wording opinions

My wedding will be at an outdoor venue in Las Vegas. As a result of that (as well as the fact that I am also relatively non-traditional), I don't want to go the traditional wording route. I did some googling and found some ideas that I liked but I would appreciate some opinions! 
Also, I added "dinner" on the last line because the reception is dinner only (no dancing, just ipod) in a restaurant for about 3 hours, so I wanted people to know that there would not be dancing. 

Please join us for a celebration 
of laughter, love, friendship and family as 

Bride
Groom

are united in the commitment of marriage

Thursday, the 24th of September
Two thousand fifteen
Six thirty in the evening

[Address of venue]

Dinner reception to follow

Edited to add: FI and I are hosting the wedding.  Thanks!

Re: Non-traditional invite wording opinions

• Options
    My wedding will be at an outdoor venue in Las Vegas. As a result of that (as well as the fact that I am also relatively non-traditional), I don't want to go the traditional wording route. I did some googling and found some ideas that I liked but I would appreciate some opinions! 
    Also, I added "dinner" on the last line because the reception is dinner only (no dancing, just ipod) in a restaurant for about 3 hours, so I wanted people to know that there would not be dancing. 

Please join us for a celebration 

Bride
    Groom

are united in the commitment of marriage

Thursday, the 24th of September
    Two thousand fifteen
    Six thirty in the evening

[Address of venue]

Dinner reception to follow

Edited to add: FI and I are hosting the wedding.  Thanks!
    Do you have a question or do you just want us to know what your invitations say?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    My REAL opinion is to stick to traditional, etiquette-approved wording and formatting and such - but since you aren't interested in all that I'll just say: I would remove the "laughter, love, friendship and family" part. Or at the very least, the laughter part. It's distracting for some reason.

Sorry but I can't really get excited about the overall wording, I guess I'm just an old fashion gal. As long as you aren't writing "Adult Only Reception," "Cash Bar," or "Black Tie Optional" on your invitations or including registry information (i.e., blatantly rude things or wording that confuses your guests) then do whatever you want.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    As long as your wording isn't overly cute (yours is on the borderline), it provides me with what I need to know, everything is spelled correctly, and you aren't trying to dictate my attire, ask me for a gift (registry info) or letting me know to bring money because you don't want to host me correctly, then I really don't care what is written in an invite.

• Options
    @ShesSoCold - I was seeking opinions on the wording (as noted in the title and the content of the post). 

@dallasbetch and @Maggie0829 - thank you for your opinions!!
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    The only issue I have with nontraditional wording is that it has been known to leave guests confused as to the basics: who's getting married, who's hosting, is this an invitation to the actual wedding ceremony, the reception, or a post-wedding celebration, and the time, date, and venues. Traditional wording does convey that concisely if formally. But when there's so much emphasis in the wording on being "cute," "funny," "joyful," "romantic," "original," "you," or whatever that these basics get buried, left out, or are not clear, then it's counterproductive to deviate too much from traditional wording.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    Please join them for a celebration 

Bride
    and
    Groom

are united in  marriage

Thursday, the twenty-fourth of September
    two thousand fifteen
    at six thirty in the evening

[Address of venue]

Reception to follow

I am making a few changes for English grammar.  You cannot start with first person, and then switch to third.   I cringe at the "laughter, love, friendship and family".  It is incorrect etiquette to describe the reception, so no "Dinner".  If you are going to write out the year, then your should also write out the date and the time.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    @Jen4948 - Thank you, definitely something to consider! 

@CMGragain - Thank you - I basically modified it from something I had found here: http://tijon.com/blogs/news/12780913-15-samples-of-wedding-invitation-wording-for-couples-hosting (not that it is even a wedding site). I also added "dinner" to the reception part based on something else I found online, but I will definitely remove that if it's bad etiquette (I also do prefer it without that anyway). 

• Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    This is the traditional form:

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    two thousand fifteen
    at half after six o'clock
    Venue Name
    Address
    City, State

Reception to follow

Non-traditional wording is fine as long as it is grammatically correct and clear.  Most of the examples on that website are NOT!  I took out the words "commitment of" marriage because everybody knows what marriage is, and it is unnecessary to define it.  A commitment ceremony is something very different, and I think your wording confuses what is taking place.  I really hate the "laughter. love, friendship and family".  It is icky, sweet, and serves no purpose.  I would urge you to remove that phrase.

You are invited to join them as 

Bride
    and
    Groom

are united in  marriage
    two thousand fifteen
    at six thirty in the evening
    [Address of venue]

Reception to follow

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    This is the traditional form:

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    two thousand fifteen
    at half after six o'clock
    Venue Name
    Address
    City, State

Reception to follow
    I guess I wanted something a bit different (contemporary I guess?), but that does look quite nice, as well as short and simple, so I think I may actually go with that instead now. Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards