October 2015 Weddings
Options

How do you approach this...

edited December 2014 in October 2015 Weddings
Has this happened to any of you: someone mentions going to your wedding, but you don't plan on inviting them? For example, a woman said "So-and-so will be my date to your wedding!" to my FI yesterday, but we had no intention of inviting this woman. Now FI is feeling guilty, and wants to invite her. But this would open up a huge can of worms that we don't want to get into... we're trying to keep it to family and close friends, which is already a large number due to big families on both sides. Inviting acquaintances and formerly-close friends (who we've lost touch with) isn't in our budget.

(Edited for clarification)

Re: How do you approach this...

• Options
    Just let them know that you're keeping the wedding small. There may be hurt feelings on their end but there will probably be more hurt feelings throughout your wedding planning. Ours is so small that we're keeping it to family only (even though that includes our closest friends whom we consider family). No hurt feelings - actually people who know they are not invited are still wanting to plan events for us (even though we've respectfully declined). 

Stick to your guns now or they'll blow up in your face later. Good luck!
  • Options
    This situation keeps happening to me at work! I continuously remind them that we have such huge families that we don't know how many friends/coworkers we will be able to invite because of our budget. It's hard because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings so I never bring up my wedding unless someone specifically asks about it; I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea! In your case, I would just explain that it's only family and a very limited number of friends. Definitely stick to your guns. It's not worth blowing the budget for a few aquantences.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @rox2112 and @nicole4793 -- great suggestions! I'm the kind of person who has a very hard time when I know I'm going to "disappoint" someone, so coming up with polite ways to say this is going to be very important! :)
  • Options
    I'm with ya but sometimes ya gotta look out for yourself, @rusticbride27!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards