Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Writing Your Own Vows

FI and I have decided to write our own vows for our wedding in March. I've just started writing up a rough draft of my vows today while FI is at work and I could use a little help. I found this Clicky and have been using their little template as a guideline.

Who else here are writing their own vows? Where do/did you pull your inspiration from? Any tips?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Writing Your Own Vows

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    That's a pretty good template.  We wrote our own vows and our minister made a point that we really liked.  We decided together what promises we would make to one another.  It helped to keep us on equal standing and also make sure one person's vows weren't ridiculously long in comparison to the other.  These were just 1-2 word promises...to be honest, loving, faithful, etc.  I think there were five of them... We then took each promise individually and put it in our own words.  Throw in a couple sentences about what he means to be in the beginning, a sentence to wrap things up and you're done.  I think where most people fail is they babble on and on about how they love this person and they mean so much to them and then don't really make promises to them.  Or, they attempt to be funny or put inside jokes in and that's usually a complete fail.
  • Two other things you do need to do:  Make sure that any "declaration of intent" required by your jurisdiction or your religion is included in your vows and check with your officiant and your jurisdiction that they're worded properly.

Beyond that, I agree with the PP:  Make sure the vows you write aren't mere verbal love-letters or jokefests, especially if the jokes are inside jokes.  Save humor for the reception itself and inside jokes for when you and your FI are alone.
  • Jen4948 said:
    Two other things you do need to do:  Make sure that any "declaration of intent" required by your jurisdiction or your religion is included in your vows and check with your officiant and your jurisdiction that they're worded properly.

Beyond that, I agree with the PP:  Make sure the vows you write aren't mere verbal love-letters or jokefests, especially if the jokes are inside jokes.  Save humor for the reception itself and inside jokes for when you and your FI are alone.
    I never even thought about the requirements of the jurisdiction! Thank you! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards