Chit Chat

Dry Winter Skin

Sorry for all my beauty related posts lately, but, my skin is so dry right now I just can't handle it.  I got some new body wash, the dove deep moisture body wash and a new body butter, but my skin, especially my legs are super dry.  Does anyone have any tips for battling dry winter skin? I'm dying over here!

Re: Dry Winter Skin

• I find that the more super special ingredients something has, the less it works for me. Straight up oil works better for moisturizing - coconut, olive, or baby. I really like the leg scrub that's all over Pinterest with olive oil, sugar, and lemon juice.

My step dad makes soap that I like to use in the winter.

• I have the same problem. First of all, try cutting back on the body wash. Even if it says moisturizing, it will still contribute to the problem. I also recommend Palmers cocoa butter lotion for stretch marks (ignore the picture of the pregnant woman on the bottle). It's really rich and I find that the moisture lasts longer than other lotions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• maeday2maeday2 member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    This stuff works well for me. Even though it says non-greasy, I find it to be. I combine the slightest bit with my normal lotion and it moisturizes really well. I also like to use it in the shower to shave my legs. 

• I love Palmer's cocoa butter lotion.  I think mine is just regular, no pregnant ladies on the bottle :)  If they're extra, extra dry, I'll switch to some Aveeno eczema relief stuff for a few days.  Straight oils tend to be rough on my somewhat sensitive skin (they make me break out in a rash), so I stick with thick, rich, creamy lotions.

Here's the real key though, that I think might be more important than the type of lotion you're using.  I put it on fresh out of the shower while I'm still really wet, and I only pat dry with a towel, never rub it on my skin. 

• For body wash I use St Ives Oatmeal and Shea Butter wash, then moisturize with St Ives 24 HR Deep Restoring body lotion. It immediately takes away any dry and peeling skin and the moisture stays longer than any other lotion I have tried.

My face got really dry earlier this winter. My cheekbones and all around my eyes were red, itchy and flaky (even my eyelids were flaky!). For cleanser I got a Garnier oil cleanser that was safe to use on my eyelids. I apply the oil and then let it sit while I am watching TV for a bit or something, then wash it off. I moisturize my face with Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream after the oil cleanser. I used that even during the day until my face healed. It works amazingly well. Now during the day I use a Garnier gel moisturizer on my face because it isn't greasy in the slightest.
  • I love CeraVe lotion. I'm obsessed and buy it by the case. Also, taking really hot showers can dry out your skin.

We have a humidifier in our bedroom, in addition to the whole house humidifier. I find that helps a lot in winter.
    *********************************************************************************

• I love CeraVe lotion. I'm obsessed and buy it by the case. Also, taking really hot showers can dry out your skin.

We have a humidifier in our bedroom, in addition to the whole house humidifier. I find that helps a lot in winter.

I use CeraVe on my face. It's the BEST.

• I get eczema on my hands and arms when it's too cold out, so I use this stuff and it's fucking MAGICAL.

I have Cetaphil Restoraderm eczema body wash, too. Keeps my skin in better shape than soap would, but it's not the most luxurious stuff I've ever used to wash with.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I tend to agree with lolo; I use coconut oil or oil bars made by a woman at my farmer's market.  No smelly stuff in it, just good moisturizers that seem to really "stick" to my skin.  I can usually wash my hands 2-3 times (unless the water is scalding hot) before I'd need to re-apply.
  • These tips are great!  The spots I am most dry in are my legs, arms and face.  I use differin gel for acne, so I know that was part of the reason for my dryness there, so I have since started only using that every 2 days.  Now I really want to try the cocoa butter and the CeraVe for my face.  I use a Cetaphil moisturizer on my face currently, but it seems like it absorbs too quick? and doesn't really leave my face moisturized.

To the ladies who use the CeraVe, is it good underneath makeup?

• my hands when i worked outside all winter would crack and bleed, so i would use lubriderm daily moisture. boy did it burn but it actually healed it. imageimagelately though i have been using jergens shea butter. i find it to greasy though so i only use it at work (since i took the bottle to work because i rarely used it at work) i also use perfectly posh which has no additives and isn't overly greasy but expensive at times. 

just make sure you use something moisturizing to wash and moisturize after you shower. i try to not exfoliate in the winter because it causes more issues in the long run. 
  • I also use cocoa butter to moisturize my skin. I put it on as soon as I get out of the shower. 
  • These tips are great!  The spots I am most dry in are my legs, arms and face.  I use differin gel for acne, so I know that was part of the reason for my dryness there, so I have since started only using that every 2 days.  Now I really want to try the cocoa butter and the CeraVe for my face.  I use a Cetaphil moisturizer on my face currently, but it seems like it absorbs too quick? and doesn't really leave my face moisturized.

I think it's fine. For me, it's not greasy at all and everything goes on smoothly like I don't have anything on at all. I really like it a lot!
    *********************************************************************************

• I also love Palmers anything! Aside from just lotioning it up over the winter I also try to drink lots more water. It really does seem to help with skin hydration. When I lived in South Dakota I was out walking in the wind all the time on my way to class and my legs would get super chapped through my pants. Wearing stockings or tights under my pants really seemed to help with that plus it kept me extra warm on those -30 days.

• I made my own body butter out of cocoa butter, coconut oil, almond oil, and shay butter. It's insanely moisturizing. It goes on slightly greasy but within a minute is completely absorbed and smooth

It is for me. My face routine: wash with CeraVe foaming face cleanser and cool water, then a Say Yes to Carrots clear skin treatment on the two breakout spots that have popped up since stopping BC, then CeraVe lotion, and let that soak in while brushing my teeth. I use Almay CC cream and powder to set. My skin still looks and feels nice by nighttime.

• I made my own body butter out of cocoa butter, coconut oil, almond oil, and shay butter. It's insanely moisturizing. It goes on slightly greasy but within a minute is completely absorbed and smooth
    Do you have a recipe for this? I tried to make a belly butter for my sister when I found out she was pregnant. It did not work out like I wanted it to... 

• Oh, I also use CeraVe face moisturizer every morning under my makeup. I actually put it on twice. Right as soon as I get out of the shower, and again right before I apply my makeup. I have such dry skin, that it soaks it all right up as soon as I put it on. 
  • I get pretty bad eczema on my arms, legs and lips during the winter. I use a Cetaphil body wash and face lotion, and then slather Aquaphor on my arms and legs after applying medication. It helps, but I have to use the Aquaphor at least twice a day to keep up with it. 

Shorten shower time and don't let the water get too hot - that will dry out your skin faster than anything. Pat skin dry and then apply whatever moisturizer you're going to use while your skin is still damp and let it soak in. It will lock in moisture that way.
  • Sorry for all my beauty related posts lately, but, my skin is so dry right now I just can't handle it.  I got some new body wash, the dove deep moisture body wash and a new body butter, but my skin, especially my legs are super dry.  Does anyone have any tips for battling dry winter skin? I'm dying over here!

Eucerine. Cetaphil. Aveno. I recommend those.
    Body wash I recommend neutrogena and bath oil infused with my shower was. I use the intensive formula by avon lotion. I also use the hand formula and that stuff is POTENT. I have eczema and it relieves the very dry patches and my overall skin.

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• edited December 2014

I have severe dry skin, with cracked and bleeding hands in the winter. The one thing that really has helped me is a humidifier. I like this one because it's simple and holds three days worth of water:

http://www.qvc.com/Air-Innovations-Clean-Mist-Ultrasonic-Humidifier-w-Remote.product.V32216.html?sc=V32216-SRCH&cm_sp=VIEWPOSITION-_-3-_-V32216&catentryImage=http://images.qvc.com/is/image/v/16/v32216.001?$uslarge$

It's also great for the sinuses.

Sometimes I make a sugar and oil (mineral or olive) paste to exfoliate my hands. Lotions or creams with cortisone help.

• I get really bad eczema and just general dry skin.  I use all natural products and I feel it really makes a difference when you avoid petroleum products.  Petrolatum feels moisturizing/ greasy (think Vaseline) but it doesn't really soak into your skin, just makes a barrier.  So it's good to protect your skin, like for diaper rash or if you have an open cut or scrape, but it doesn't really sink in.  I use Aquaphor (petrolatum) on any open, nasty eczema bits though, just until it closes up enough I can put regular lotion on it.  Sorry for TMI!

For my body: Alba Botanica body wash in the shower, then Lush body butter bar in the shower.  Trader Joe's body lotion right after the shower.  I use Arbonne and Cecilia Wong products on my face.  And throughout the day I use Aquaphor or Papaw ointment on open eczema spots, and Arbonne or Aveeno lotion on dry (but not open) spots and on my hands.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I have extremely dry, sensitive skin. I would avoid any soaps with fragrances and chemicals and switch to something more natural, as those things tend to dry out our skin. I like to buy bars of soap from the natural foods co-op or one of their natural fragrance free bottles of soap. You won't get super duper silky smooth legs overnight but a more natural skincare regimen will help your skin over time, whereas products that aren't as natural will probably do a little damage over time.

I also moisterize with a super thick lotion or sometimes straight up coconut oil. I really recommend Hempz. You can get my favorite line from TJ Maxx or Marshalls. Hemp oil seems to do wonders for dry skin. My father had some skin issues when we all went away to Key West and walked around the island all day. He put the hempz cream on and the next day his skin was cleared up.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Darn, didn't attach the image I wanted to. I'll also come back and post a few videos from Veronica Gorgeois. She's an esthetician who makes videos on Youtube. It turns out a few things I've always done were wrong.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I've mostly stopped using Bath and Body Works body wash.  :(  I love the smells and the lather, but my skin doesn't like it.  I've switched to Cetophil and while it works it doesn't lather and that annoys me.

A few times a week I "wash" with a coconut oil and sugar scrub before I shave.  It helps get rid of the flaky dry skin and moisturizes and gives me an AMAZING shave.  I also use the scrub on my hands when they get dry, which is frequently.

The scrub is a 2/1 ratio, 2 parts sugar to 1 part melted coconut oil.

My favorite lotion is Eucerin Intense Repair.  Some of the other Eucerin lotions are too greasy for me, but this one works.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I had horrible eczema on my hands for years and on my face. At one point on my hands the skin had cracked to the sub-layer and was bleeding. I had to wear gloves like Michael Jackson for about 6 months.

I totally agree that Cetaphil wash is the single best cleanser for dry and irritated skin, and Aquaphor is great for moisturizing. 

I do have a random recommendation that has worked really well for me also. It's Vicco Turmeric Skin Cream. FI bought me this when we started dating and it works wonders for the irritation, dryness and general appearance of the skin. It's an ayurvedic turmeric cream. Turmeric has a bunch of awesome healing properties and it smells great too. It usually soaks right in and isn't greasy but just make sure it's soaked in before you rub your skin against any light clothing as it can stain it yellow. You can get it online at a bunch of places.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Awesome @plainjane0415 ! Glad that worked for you. I use that stuff religiously in the winter.

Shaving my legs in the winter dries them out worse and it really locks in moisture when you use it IN the shower and you don't have to deal with the oily feeling after. 
  • The St. Ives lotion is amazing. I love them all, especially the one with the green label. I have very angry skin and have tried a zillion lotions, but after using the St. Ives, it is the only one I will buy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards