Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Terrible makeup trial - WWYD?

Hey everyone, I'm in full on panic mode right now about my makeup, so I need some advice.

I'm planning my wedding from about 6 hours away, so it's been difficult to schedule time to meet with vendors.  My wedding is in about 2 weeks, and I just had my hair/makeup trial 2 days ago.  This past week was the first time I was able to get a trial.  I tried to do a trial when FI and I were in town over a month ago, but FI's dad unexpectedly had to go to the hospital and we had to drive back before the trial. 

So anyway, the hair stylist that I'm using is a long-time stylist and friend of the family.   My mom and I have been using her since I was a toddler.  I love her skills and technique, so I was unconcerned about my hair.  However, in trying to find a makeup artist, my stylist told us that her daughter does great makeup.  She supposedly went to cosmetology school and has done special event makeup as a side job for a while now.  So, I ended up just saying yes to her daughter, as I trusted my stylist and thought surely she would know what she was doing.  However, I did insist on a trial (thank God), despite the fact that my mom, stylist, etc. kept telling me it would work out.

So, trial comes around.  This girl is NOT professional.  She has some of her own makeup, but had her hands all over my foundation, used HER mascara and powder, and looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned foundation/eye primer, false lashes, etc.  She used BLUE eyeshadow on me.  Like, no kidding, I looked like an 80's stripper.  Not only was the color bad, the dark-ass shadows weren't even blended!  It was so bad, I legit thought I was being punk'd when I looked in the mirror.  The weird thing was, as it was happening, everyone in the salon kept oohing and ahhing over how pretty it looked.  So despite her obvious lack of knowledge, I was thinking, 'ok, this can't be THAT bad'.  No, it was horrific.  I was up all night that night trying to figure out what to do.

So I guess my dilemma is this:  I don't want to offend my stylist, who I've known for almost 30 years.  I COULD bring my own eyeshadows and basically micromanage everything this woman does to my face, knowing I may have to blend it out or completely re-do it possibly.  But it seems dumb to PAY to basically do it myself (even though it's not that much).  I'm pretty good at doing my own makeup, and think I could do a decent job.  But how do I say that I'm not going to use her?  2 of my bridesmaids were wanting to use her as well.  I feel like any way I go with this, I'm going to look like an ass.  I also don't think I could find another makeup person this close to my wedding. 

Sorry that was so long :/  But I need people's opinions.  WWYD?

Re: Terrible makeup trial - WWYD?

• Options
    "I'm sorry, but I have decided to do my own makeup after all. Thank you so much, though."

That's all you need to say. If you end up finding another MUA no one needs to know.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Seriously, I know how you feel! My bridesmaid and high school best friend is an amateur makeup artist. She has high end makeup and had done several of our friends' weddings. So I thought it was obvious to use her for mine. Well she did my trial and I hated it. My husband hated it. I was in the same position....how do I tell my own best friend and bridesmaid that I don't want her to do it without hurting her feelings? Well I told her "I really appreciate it but FI said it was just too much for him and he really loves the way that I do my own, so I'm going to do my own". I kinda made it out like it was his decision rather than mine and she was not offended at all! 

• Options
    I'm so sorry OP! I was in a wedding over the summer and we had an amateur makeup artist to get us ready... the bride wasn't able to do a trial so she didn't know how troublesome it would all be! She was way overpriced, used cheap makeup, and I barely looked any different from how I usually do my own makeup.

I would politely tell your friend that you are just going to do your own makeup. As far as getting someone else, maybe look into seeing if there is a beauty salon near your venue, or even a dept. store like Nordstrom or Macy's. Good luck!!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Thanks everyone.  It was a little awkward, but I just ended up telling my stylist that we would do our own makeup and have a "bonding" moment.  She may have seen right through it, but she didn't make a big deal out of it.  I've been practicing with my own makeup, so here's hoping it turns out nice!
  • Options
    It will be great! Don't even worry! Everyone told me that I NEEDED pounds of makeup for the it to translate in photos but that was not true. I had one a small amount of bronzer and mascara that I did myself and it looked absolutely perfect in the photos. 

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    It will be great! Don't even worry! Everyone told me that I NEEDED pounds of makeup for the it to translate in photos but that was not true. I had one a small amount of bronzer and mascara that I did myself and it looked absolutely perfect in the photos. 
    That's good to know!  This was the main thing I was worried about in doing it myself.  I don't usually cake on the blush/bronzer/etc. so I wasn't sure how much to use. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.  It was a little awkward, but I just ended up telling my stylist that we would do our own makeup and have a "bonding" moment.  She may have seen right through it, but she didn't make a big deal out of it.  I've been practicing with my own makeup, so here's hoping it turns out nice!
    If you are nervous about doing your own makeup and live near a Sephora, maybe either book an appointment to have them show you how to do your own wedding makeup or just walk in there and explain the situation. I think they sometimes charge for makeup sessions but I also have gone in there and said "I'm lost about makeup" and they basically just went at it and showed me what to do. Those folks really love makeup and I bet if you go in there and tell them the story they will show you all sorts of stuff. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards