Honeymoon Discussions

Tips on selecting your cruise cabin

CMGragainCMGragain member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited December 2014 in Honeymoon Discussions
Don't!  Let the cruise line select it for you!  All cabins within the same class category are pretty much the same.  You sign up for the best available cabin within your class - say a balcony cabin.  You are guaranteed to get a cabin with a balcony somewhere on the ship, but you pay rock bottom price.  Chances are you will be given an upgrade - at least a better location.  I am 8 days out from my next cruise, and instead of the cheap balcony cabin we are paying for, we have been given a big mini-suite with full bath and large balcony!  Woo-hoo!  Just found out today!
In the 17 cruises we have taken, we have never once been given the cabin that we actually were paying for!  We have never had a bad cabin, either.
httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: Tips on selecting your cruise cabin

• I wouldn't bank on this for most cruisers, especially first timers. You're a frequent cruiser who has probably risen in the ranks of whatever your cruise line's loyalty program is. We did a guarantee room once and weren't upgraded. I much prefer finding a midship cabin and deck 6 and up but I'm always cautious of what might be on top of our cabin as well due to potential noise.

Where are you heading on your next cruise?  I've got 148 days until our Alaska cruise and 298 until the Southern Caribbean!

• We went on our first cruise in March and decided not to select our cabin. We paid for a cabin in one of the cheaper balcony areas, and when I went to pick up our cruise documents I found we'd been upgraded to a room in the most expensive balcony category. It really did make a difference, because instead of being far from an elevator or stairway, we were right next to the main one. I'd advise first time cruisers not to select their cabin, though I wouldn't guess that would happen to us again if we sailed with the same line.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Flutteringinftmyers -- Which cruise line?  Had you selected a specific cabin?  You said you selected one in the cheaper balcony areas...so it doesn't sound like what CMGr is suggesting you do.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited January 2015
    Like I said before, all cabins within a category are about the same - same layout, same size.  I have never had a bad cabin.  Why pay more?
    Actually, the cruise gossip says that first timers are more likely to get upgraded than the regulars like us.  They want you to come back.  They KNOW we'll be back, no matter what.
    We pay for the cheapest cabin in the category we want.  There is no place to go except up.  Usually they only have about four cabins on the whole ship in that super cheap cabin we pay for.  Chances of us getting it are unlikely.  Even if it is only a couple of grades higher, it's still a good thing.
    We are going to Singapore, Thailand, and Indonesia.  The flight will be hell.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Ehhh, I still rather pick out my own cabin.  Location is very important to me.  On one cruise, I liked picking a cabin towards the end of the same deck which leads out to the small Lido pool at the rear of the ship.   On the huge Oasis ship, we made sure to pick a room where we were just a one flight walk above the Boardwalk area and one flight walk below the Central Park area.....it was really convenient.  And of course, I like to make sure we're not under the dining room or right next to an elevator bank.  If you're not picky, I think it's a good option.....but for us it's worth it to know exactly where we'll be.
  • mlg78 said:

Flutteringinftmyers -- Which cruise line?  Had you selected a specific cabin?  You said you selected one in the cheaper balcony areas...so it doesn't sound like what CMGr is suggesting you do.

We sailed with Princess. The agent I booked with explained that I could either pick our cabin or if I didn't select a cabin the cruise line would select it for us and there was a chance we'd be upgraded. If we selected a cabin, we wouldn't be upgraded. So I chose not to select a cabin and we were upgraded to a higher balcony category. It was the same size room that we had already paid for, but in a more expensive location.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @joane2012 I'm really picky as well! I always select my seat on the plane because otherwise it's all middle crap that's left. So I'd be worried that the good cabins would be filled up and I'd be stuck right next to the elevator or in a loud spot.

You can still upgrade if you select a cabin. Last time I selected one, then a month before departure my travel agent called and said I could switch to a balcony for $3. So I did it.

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    edited January 2015
    jenna8984 said:

@joane2012 I'm really picky as well! I always select my seat on the plane because otherwise it's all middle crap that's left. So I'd be worried that the good cabins would be filled up and I'd be stuck right next to the elevator or in a loud spot.

You can still upgrade if you select a cabin. Last time I selected one, then a month before departure my travel agent called and said I could switch to a balcony for $3. So I did it.

I've been next to an elevator.  The only problem was the passengers who were talking loudly.  There was no noise from the elevator doors or machinery.   The best spot on a Princess ship is right next to the laundry room!  There is no noise, and you can do your laundry easily.  They lock it up at night. (We're on a 15 day cruise.  I'll need to do some!)  The only time I heard noise was when we were directly above the theater, but the theater shuts down by 11:00PM, so there is no problem sleeping.  Most modern ships are designed so that the cabins are away from noise.  During rough seas, you might hear some creeks and groans from the ship hull, but that is part of cruising.
    I have sailed in all types of cabins.  The inside cabins are mostly all the same, except for the special cabins reserved for handicapped passengers.  They are very small, but there is enough room for two American size people.  The window cabins vary.  Some have better views than others.  I think they are a good compromise.  They let in the light, so you have a better sense of time of day. They aren't much larger than the inside cabins, though.  Everybody loves the balcony cabins, but they are EXPENSIVE!  The balconies are very tiny.  Don't expect to sunbathe on them.  It is nice to sit out on them with a drink and a book to read.  I highly recommend them for any Alaska cruise.
    Mini-suites are simply balcony cabins with some extra space, a sofa, an extra TV, and a larger balcony.  The two rooms are not separated by a door.
    All cabins get the same food, same entertainment, same cruise.  Upgrades are not always available.  We inquired about a month ago, and we were told that it would cost us $600 to upgrade to a mini-suite.  Now we are given one for free!  This is unusual.  If you let the cruise line choose your cabin, chances are you will be given one in the same category, but on a high deck in a better location.  Rarely, someone gets a true upgrade to a higher category, like we just did!

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • We've only cruised once, on Princess.  We paid for the lowest level balcony and got upgraded to the highest level balcony.  We were actually at the front of the ship, facing forward, which was pretty cool for coming into port.  We also got to watch the crew work at times as we over looked the front deck that was off limits to passengers.  

What sucked was the noise and shaking of the room when we docked and dropped anchor/tied off.  There were a couple of days where we were woken at 6am docking to metal clanking as ropes were let out.  Our cabin walls shook with the vibration.  I can sleep through almost anything, but not this.  I wouldn't stay in that room again. 

I'd almost prefer to pick a room so I could get one in the middle of the ship, since I get seasick at times.  But I'm also planning on getting some drugs if we eve do a cruise again.  The upgrades can be awesome, but you might not anticipate some things that are different.  However, getting upgraded to a mini suite is pretty awesome.  That would be worth it for me.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards