Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Not 100% happy with my dress... :(

I bought my wedding dress only a couple of weeks after I got engaged, and I bought it from the first place I tried. It wasn't what I had envisioned AT ALL, but my mom and sister insisted that it was "the one" and the sales lady knocked about $700 off the price, so I felt pressured to get it.

Don't get me wrong - it is a pretty dress and there are things I like about it, but overall, it doesn't feel like me. My grandmother paid for it, and my mom is paying for the alterations (which are currently happening). I feel like I can't change my mind now since other people have put money into this thing for me.

So I'm left with the decision to try and alter it somehow to where I like it better. It has a removable illusion neckline, which is the biggest issue for me. It is 3/4 sleeve with beading and embroidery on it. It is VERY itchy and hot. It does not feel like an elegant bridal gown, it feels like an uncomfortable play costume or something. 

I like the idea of having a removable illusion neckline thingy, but I want a different kind. Does anyone know where I would even begin to look? Even the lady at the alteration place said that my dress is gorgeous and I should keep it the way it is, but I don't know... I'm just not totally happy. At the end of the day, I'm the one who has to wear it and I'm just not totally comfortable. :( Arg. Help?

Re: Not 100% happy with my dress... :(

• Options
    I bought my wedding dress only a couple of weeks after I got engaged, and I bought it from the first place I tried. It wasn't what I had envisioned AT ALL, but my mom and sister insisted that it was "the one" and the sales lady knocked about $700 off the price, so I felt pressured to get it.

Don't get me wrong - it is a pretty dress and there are things I like about it, but overall, it doesn't feel like me. My grandmother paid for it, and my mom is paying for the alterations (which are currently happening). I feel like I can't change my mind now since other people have put money into this thing for me.

So I'm left with the decision to try and alter it somehow to where I like it better. It has a removable illusion neckline, which is the biggest issue for me. It is 3/4 sleeve with beading and embroidery on it. It is VERY itchy and hot. It does not feel like an elegant bridal gown, it feels like an uncomfortable play costume or something. 

I like the idea of having a removable illusion neckline thingy, but I want a different kind. Does anyone know where I would even begin to look? Even the lady at the alteration place said that my dress is gorgeous and I should keep it the way it is, but I don't know... I'm just not totally happy. At the end of the day, I'm the one who has to wear it and I'm just not totally comfortable. :( Arg. Help?
    If you're not comfortable in it and you don't like it, stop letting other people tell you that you are. 

Talk to your seamstress about making changes that will allow you to be more comfortable and happy with it. If she gives you shit about how gorgeous it is and blah blah blah, tell her to STFU. You're the customer and you're the one who has to wear it, so she needs to listen to you when you say "I don't like X, can we make it more like Y?" If the dress won't allow what you want, structurally, that's one thing. But her (and your family's) opinion doesn't really matter. 
  • Options

Can you share some pictures? My first inclination would be to work with a seamstress to see if you can replace the illusion top with something that feels less costume-y. In my experience of trying on dresses, some of the lower priced dresses felt more like a costume than a finely made dress. I think it's often a combination of lower quality materials and construction. Personally, I would find out what I could afford to do on my own and decide if that allows me to make the desired changes or if I could even afford to buy another dress. I do not think you can expect anyone to pay for a second dress. There may be some hurt feelings, but I think it's also important for you to feel comfortable at your wedding. 
  • Options
    Have a glass of wine and sleep on it?  Maybe you'll feel better and have some clarity when this wears off.  Note though, if you're wedding is coming up, don't wait too long.  If it's a major alteration, than you don't want to wait until the last minute.

Also, if you do remove it, perhaps you can re-purpose the mesh?  Into part of a hairpiece, etc.?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards