Wedding Reception Forum

Movie Themed Wedding

My fiance and I love watching movies, so we decided to have a reception with a movie theme. Every table will be given a specific movie instead of a number. The guests will have popcorn to snack on while we get our pictures done. My bridal party will walk into the hall to different movie theme songs. The only thing that stumps us is the menu. 

We want a traditional menu, but we want to name each food by connecting it to a movie. EX: yellow brick road mac & cheese (The Wizard of Oz). 
The rest of the menu consists of chicken, backed ziti (for our vegitarian guests), corn, green beans, mashed potatoes, bread, punch, soda, water.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It could be a movie title or an aspect from a movie.

Re: Movie Themed Wedding

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    I'm feeling creative, so:

Chicken Run Chicken, Cloudy with a Chance of Baked Ziti, Close Encounters of the Potato Kind (b/c he gets weird with the potatoes in that movie), Incredible Green Beans/Incredible Hulk Vines, Fool's Gold Corn, Sucker Punch/Punch Drunk Love   That's all I've got. And ditto Maggie on the popcorn. I hope there will be more than that at coctail hour. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • While I appreciate @AddieCake's creative effort, I say no on movie names for food.  It's like the ad nauseum names for signature drinks.  I just want to know what's in my food, not read a long title.  Same as the annoyance for a "jimmy loves jane so much on the beach margarita."  Just feed me the mac and cheese, please.  Sans cutesy name.  The table names are fun, but taking it to food is taking it over the top.  In a not good/not necessary way.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    I agree with the PPs who say not to come up with cutesy names for your menu items. Not everything at your wedding needs to be "cute" or "themed" and sometimes when something is it's over-the-top and off-putting.  And yes, you're going to need to serve more than popcorn during the cocktail hour.  I hope you plan to serve other appetizers.
  • I agree you need more than popcorn during cocktail hour. People are going to need real food to help absorb the alcohol.
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    There's having a theme and there's carrying a theme too far and making it look like a kid's birthday party.  You don't need to have every element be part of your theme.  No one is going to notice or care what you call the food - just have good food and plenty of it.  And since the food isn't exactly movie themed in and of itself (there's no mac & cheese in The Wizard of Oz - it's not like you're recreating a meal from a specific movie like a Chocolat themed chocolate feast or lamb, baklava, and bundt cake from My Big Fat Greek Wedding), I think it's time better spent elsewhere.

Instead of naming your food, why not incorporate your theme in other ways, like making the table markers look like a clapboard or movie tickets, making your invitations look like a movie poster or marquee, if you're having favors find silver tins, make up film reel stickers to put on them, and fill them up with movie candy like gummy bears, Junior Mints, or SnoCaps.

And also, big ditto on having more than popcorn at cocktail hour.  Hopefully that was the plan already, but it wasn't clear.  Truthfully, I'd probably have a more substantial food selection at cocktail hour and do popcorn as a late night snack if something like that might be appropriate to your reception.
  • AddieCake said:
    I am sad you guys aren't more excited about my Close Encounters of the Potato Kind.
    Sorry - I've never seen the movie, so the reference is lost on me.

Which is another reason why I vote no for making the food into potentially obscure movie puns - the references may get lost on people who aren't familiar with the movie and generate more of a "Huh?" than an "Oh, how clever" response.  Meanwhile, I don't need to have seen a specific movie to "get" a table named after the movie if you are just picking meaningful movies or romantic movies or whatever.  And general items like marquees, clapboards, movie reels, ticket stubs, movie candy, and popcorn convey the theme without me having to understand the "joke".

• AddieCake said:
    I'm feeling creative, so:

Chicken Run Chicken, Cloudy with a Chance of Baked Ziti, Close Encounters of the Potato Kind (b/c he gets weird with the potatoes in that movie), Incredible Green Beans/Incredible Hulk Vines, Fool's Gold Corn, Sucker Punch/Punch Drunk Love   That's all I've got. And ditto Maggie on the popcorn. I hope there will be more than that at coctail hour. 
    Love everything AddieCake says.  I think it all sounds like fun and if you want to carry the theme that far, then enjoy!
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    Sorry, but I hate theme weddings.  Your wedding is the focus of the day, not some prom theme.  JMHO, and I love movies, too.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Uhm. The naming foods takes it so far over the top that it becomes really cheesy. Something that might tickle a group of ten year olds, but as an adult, I'd just roll my eyes and wonder why you wasted the time. 
  • I do not appreciate my wedding being referred to as a "kid's birthday party" or "prom." I asked a simple question. If you do not like my idea, that is fine (you are entitled to your own opinion), but you are not required to comment on my post. So keep rude comments to yourself. How would you like your wedding ideas to be bashed in such a way?
  • @wrigleyville: uptwnqt appears to be a vendor, judging by her replies. Steering users to her FB event planning page and inviting posters to contact her by email.
  • @wrigleyville: uptwnqt appears to be a vendor, judging by her replies. Steering users to her FB event planning page and inviting posters to contact her by email.
    Thanks! She's been banned, and her content has been deleted.
  • I do not appreciate my wedding being referred to as a "kid's birthday party" or "prom." I asked a simple question. If you do not like my idea, that is fine (you are entitled to your own opinion), but you are not required to comment on my post. So keep rude comments to yourself. How would you like your wedding ideas to be bashed in such a way?

If I had a bad idea, I'd want to know the consequences before I made too much of a commitment. Others' interpretations =\= rude.
  • I understand people have different opinions, and I'm open to them. But there are better ways to present those opinions. As adults I'm sure we can leave the rude comments aside when expressing our opinions. If you can't express it in a better way then don't comment. And if you can't express yourself better than maybe you aren't as mature as you are claiming to be.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    Rude = "Your idea is stupid, and so are you!"

Nobody told you this.  No one was rude.  If you want to be told that your ideas are just wonderful, you are on the wrong website.     Rainbows and unicorns are not on the Knot.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I agree that finding cutesy names for food is too much. I generally think wedding "themes" are cheesy, but having a movie theme can go from tolerable to prom-ish and tacky pretty quickly. OP, no one was rude. Disagreeing does not equal rude. If the majority of the random women here think your idea is too cutesy, there's a pretty good chance at least some of your guests will too.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
    edited December 2014
    I understand people have different opinions, and I'm open to them. But there are better ways to present those opinions. As adults I'm sure we can leave the rude comments aside when expressing our opinions. If you can't express it in a better way then don't comment. And if you can't express yourself better than maybe you aren't as mature as you are claiming to be.
    No one called your wedding a kids birthday party or a prom.  What was said was when A THEME is carried too far, then A WEDDING starts to resemble a kids birthday party or a prom.  Just because you decided to internalize what was feedback on what you thought was a brilliant idea and twist it seem like people were personally bashing your wedding does not mean people were rude.  You got feedback - you just didn't like it.
    edited December 2014
    AddieCake said:
    I didn't even get a thank you for my efforts! Now you can't use them. If I hear that you served Close Encounters of the Potato Kind, I will sue you.
    Awww...I'll thank you, AddieCake.  If I decide to throw an Academy Awards party this year, I'll serve "AddieCake's Close Encounters of the Potato Kind" cause naming food for an Academy Awards party is cute. 
  • Well helloooooo 0-60 in a few seconds.... 

I don't think there's anything wrong with weaving movie stuff into your decor/music/etc. But if you're stumped on naming the menu after movie things, just let it go. FTR I liked @AddieCake's suggestions. Amazing.

Also, I went to a wedding that was travel themed and had flags instead of table numbers.... it was a giant PITA to find our table. They didn't have a map so we literally had to walk around to almost every table and try to find a place to sit. I recommend also numbering them and/or having a map. 

Last November, we went to a wedding in an art gallery that served only popcorn and trail mix during cocktail hour while they took photos. Everyone was starving. And not many people want to eat stuff that sticks to their teeth. Ever had a kernel shell on your tooth in public? Embarrassing.
    *********************************************************************************

• FWIW, I get so much more excited for food if it has a really descriptive, culinary name. I'd rather have my guests excited for the actual food rather than try to impress them with my creativity.

And keep in mind there's a reason that at most normal restaurants, the kids' menu is the only one that has cutesy names for the food.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Supersize Me should be the name of the dessert. 
    Fried Green Tomatoes for the salad course. 
    Guess Who's Coming to Dinner for the entree choices. 
    If you offer spaghetti, Lady and the Tramp perhaps?
    You could also have a grand send off with When Harry Met Sally or American Pie playing in the background... wink wink!

Please note my suggestions are quite tongue-in-cheek. 

• We put movie/TV quotes on the backs of our menus. We didn't have a movie theme at all, but we do like movies/TV, and thought it would be a fun way to add a little personality (We labeled it "Quotes on Love from Television and the Movies". We thought it would also be a good conversation starter for people at the tables if they didn't have much to talk about. There were 4 different menu backs, and 2 menus per table, so people could ask what other tables had if they wanted.

Just an idea if you want to keep the menus clear without cutesy names!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards