Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Changing first name spelling with last name

Hi,
Is it possible to change the spelling of my first name at the same time I change my last name to my soon-to-be husband's? I thought it would be easier to do all at once instead of two separate times.

Re: Changing first name spelling with last name

• I think it depends on the state.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I live in tx and had a similar idea. I had to go through a court order to change my first name. Good luck!
  • You probably need a court order.  It would depend on the state, anyway.  I don't think you're going to get your answer from strangers on the internet.

• In most states you will be able to do this, it's just going to be a basic name change. There might be a few extra paper work because the first name change is a regular name change and not just the more standard marital name change. Good idea though, might as well kill two birds with one stone.
  • As far as I'm aware, most states would require you to do a classic name change instead of a name change by marriage. But you should be able to do it altogether, and no sense in getting a new SS card twice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards