Honeymoon Discussions

Swim Out Suites

We are planning on booking our honeymoon at Secrets Maroma Beach and my fiance has his heart set on a swim up room. I think they seem like a great idea, but I do know from staying at other resorts and seeing these rooms that they are not private at all. Does anyone have any experience with these rooms? Would you do it again?

Re: Swim Out Suites

• We are also spending our honeymoon at SMB! :) If you check out Trip Advisor there are tons of reviews about the swim outs. I know from reading reviews that these are not private pools - shared between the rooms on that floor/in that building, and the "patio" to your room is somewhat exposed to anyone who may be in the pool.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sounds good in theory, but when we were on out HM (we didn't have a swim up room) we walked right by all the rooms that opened up to the beach or pool, and there was indeed no privacy. We stayed on the top level and had a private jacuzzi and I much preferred that!
  • We stayed at Secret Silversands in Puerto Morelos last winter and we had a swim-up room. We were on the corner, and it didn't seem like our neighbors ever came out, so it ended  up being fairly private. Still, you are sharing a pool with a group of other strangers. I kind of enjoyed it because it was less crowded than the pool/beach when we wanted a break from the crowds. Plus, a waiter still came by and got our drinks.
  • OP, we just got back from our honeymoon at Secrets Maroma. You will love it!

We had the same debate about the swim-up rooms and I'm kind of glad we didn't get one. They aren't very private (although I will say that I never actually saw anyone using them) and there are walkways that go right by them.

Our room was on the second floor ("partial ocean view" which was indeed true b/c you could barely see the ocean over the trees). Although it was nice, I think a room on the highest floor (4th floor) is the way to go. But you probably won't spend that much time on the balcony - there is so much to do at the resort, not to mention excursions.

A few tips -
    • 24-hour room service is nice, but go to the restaurants and breakfast buffet if you can (the buffet was sooo good!)
    • Don't hesitate to ask your concierge for help. We had some (animal poop) on our balcony and it was quickly removed. The service there is wonderful!
    • If you eat by the pool or beach, make sure to get a waiter to take your plate/any remaining food away quickly b/c the seagulls are hungry and not shy!
    • If you order those yummy frozen fruity drinks, be sure to get an extra shot b/c they aren't very strong.
    • We booked all of our excursions through the hotel which was very convenient and made us feel more safe knowing that we had transportation directly from and back to the hotel.
    • Don't let the drive to the entrance of the resort freak you out. It's a little odd (one lane and not very scenic) but the resort itself is beautiful!
    • Have a great time!!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @beachyone15 thanks for the tips! we ended up booking the swim out suite, couldn't sway my fiance away from it! no matter what I know it'll be an amazing trip. Cant wait!!!
  • Swim outs aren't private but they are fun. And if it is away from the party pool you shouldn't feel like the world is watching you. Bring a pool float to use those are fun and you can store on the patio. We got locked out of our room twice though. We were in the pool area and housekeeping came to clean and locked the patio door not realizing we were out there - oops. The next time we booked the same place we didn't do swim out which was ok although we missed the central location at that resort.
  • Stayed at a Sandals in Jamaica with a swim up suite.  We had the pool all to ourselves most times and the landscaping made it very private.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A couple vacations ago FI and I got a swim up suite and loved it! Either one of us could chill out there while the other was getting ready or napping, and for a quick "let's sit by the pool before lunch" it was way easier than packing a bag to head out to the pool.. have fun!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards