Snarky Brides

Any badly reviewed venues?

I feel like a crazy person! But, why is every venue I read about positively reviewed? I mean there must some wedding horror stories and places to stay away from?
Does anyone else feel this way? Am I a horrible person?

Re: Any badly reviewed venues?

• I thought the same thing when I started planning our wedding, but then I came across some venues that had TERRIBLE reviews from years ago, followed by good reviews recently. I just think a wedding venue can't stay in business very long if everyone hated their experience there and they didn't change anything.
  • Are you looking within the Knot?  Or googling?  Sometimes you can get truer reviews if you google the venue name + reviews.
  • I'm doing both. Also wedding wire. I visited a venue that was impeccably reviewed and it was a total hole in the wall. My mother told me my cousin, who is pretty fancy, was married there in the 90's. It looked as if it hadn't been cleaned since. I can imagine why there are so many good reviews. Finding a venue is so stressful. 
  • I really don't know how much control the venue has over what reviews are posted online and such, so that may be playing a factor in it.  Have you searched the BBB website?  You may be able to find some true reviews there.  Sorry I'm not much help!

• I believe that Knot (paying) vendors have the right to choose which reviews are displayed. Which makes the reviews absolutely useless.
  •     Don't some places have a clause in their contract that you can't leave a bad review on social media or they can sue you? I seem to remember someone on The Knot posting about that clause in their contract. I didn't experience that myself. 
  • I'd check Yelp rather than wedding sites. People are brutal on Yelp.

I believe that Knot (paying) vendors have the right to choose which reviews are displayed. Which makes the reviews absolutely useless.
    Even if they can't directly remove the reviews, I believe they have to pay to appear in TK's listings. So if they got a bunch of bad reviews, they's just cancel their whole listing.

• edited June 2015
  • There's a vendor in my area with nothing but rave reviews. He's a knot recommended vendor, award-winning, all that shit.

He fucking sucks and he's got a clause where it states he can sue you for breach of contract if you leave a negative review.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Yeah, totally get what you're saying, OP.  For every vendor we've hired and/or are considering (including venue), I Google them (vendor name + "reviews").  Yelp is the most blunt and the most helpful.  Also you may find it helpful to Google the location and "wedding photos," I thought it was really good to see recent weddings at the sites.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wasn't happy with my venue, but they refunded some of our money and did a few other things to ensure I would not write bad reviews.

If someone asks about my venue inn my local board I stand them a pm with my experience. Check your local board and see if you can get some suggestions and reviews.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Hotel b&b trying to control reviews and getting it very badly. .. http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-30111525
  • Yelp controls their reviews, so I don't trust them. A place could have 5 stars but have 50% of the reviews "not recommended". 

• edited January 2015
    I have a subscription to Angies List ( might have been a sale or a Groupon) that I used form some of my vendors. The nice thing about it is that you can list how much you paid for a service. I also tried to cross reference with my local BBB ( Better Business Bureau) [ I am clarifying because I kept reading BBB as Bed Bath and Beyond and kept on trying to remember where the store listed vendor reviews!].
  • I know someone who had a really bad experience with her wedding venue and left a poor review on the Knot. It's still there, but it's very hidden (you have to sort by recently reviewed rather than the way TK sorts the reviews) and the venue people were able to leave a comment that was very polite and sweet letting interested bride and grooms know that if they had any questions or issues regarding the review, they could contact the venue directly.

Personally, I've been to this venue for a different wedding and it was fine. This one person was the only one who left a bad review and knowing this girl, she's a bit of a diva and one of those people who probably loves to complain.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• This is exactly what I am going through right now. I have found a destination wedding location that seems amazing. It has all 5 star reviews. (may a few 4.8's) Now I think we will have to plan a trip down to FL to see it, but bonus a vacation from the snow.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm so glad I found this thread.  All the recent Yelp reviews of my venue were pretty bad, and I was going to bring it up next time I go down to make a payment, but after reading this thread I checked the 'Not Recommended' section and found a ton of five star positive reviews.  So weird, but very welcome since I've been stressing about it for days!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards