Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Videographer - Yeah or Nay??

My Fiance and I have only briefly chatted about hiring a videographer; with the convo looking something along the lines of " what about a videographer" "I dont think we need one".

So I am curious why or why not you ladies decided to hire a videographer? I am more in the camp of having that visual for memories and I think he more doesnt want the attention on him- which will be alittle hard anyways because its our wedding and everyone will be watching! 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Videographer - Yeah or Nay??

• Options
    Yea! It was very important to me. I wanted to be able to watch the ceremony again, hear the vows, see the joy on our faces, be able to remember what the minister said and see our guests. So I would say go for it.

Having the toasts and reception stuff was a bonus. I don't think you'll regret the decision to hire a videog, if you get a reputable one. It's a personal choice. If it's not important to you, don't spend the money on it - bc it's not the cheapest thing :) GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options

Hire a professional. My friend's wedding where I was MOH had a friend video it, and the friend spent way too much time on unimportant things, and missed huge moments. No shots of the groom at all, and 10 minutes of 2 women dancing, and the entire receiving line. It was only an addition to the photos thank goodness.

• Options
    I did hire a videographer for my June wedding. While second in importance to an excellent photographer, getting some video coverage of the wedding was important to me as well for a few reasons. Pictures are great and the thing you'll likely look at most, but a picture can't capture someone getting choked up while saying vows, the sound of the laugh of a loved one, or the exact words of a moving toast from a loved one. No longer having my dad with me, but having a couple home videos from when he was around, having that record of the sound of his voice if nothing else is valuable. 
  • Options
    I did hire a videographer for my June wedding. While second in importance to an excellent photographer, getting some video coverage of the wedding was important to me as well for a few reasons. Pictures are great and the thing you'll likely look at most, but a picture can't capture someone getting choked up while saying vows, the sound of the laugh of a loved one, or the exact words of a moving toast from a loved one. No longer having my dad with me, but having a couple home videos from when he was around, having that record of the sound of his voice if nothing else is valuable. 
    I think this single-handedly convinced me to use a videographer. I was very against it at first for the sake of cost, and hearing how many couples don't ever even watch it, as well as hearing from some that their video was awkward. After reading this, I am reconsidering. My parents are not in the best of health, specifically my mom, and it would be wonderful to have the video for the future. I guess you just ahve to find the right person for the video. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This is why we can't have nice things.
  • Options
    Yes, if you're spending thousands of dollars and pouring months of planning into what will hopefully be the happiest day of your life then you're going to want to relive your wedding day and share it again and again. Yes, they can be pricey but with a little bit of research you could find a great gem that will serve to be priceless for years to come. Take it from me, a real bride who almost skipped hiring a videographer and now is forever grateful I didn't.
  • Options
    jenijoykjenijoyk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2015
    It was really important to us to have a video - we wanted something to remember our parents with, and we wanted something to show our kids. We went with George Street and spent about $2k on it. 

And it was HORRIBLE. I wish we had just set up a camera ourselves on a tripod in the back of the venue. Our videographer was a creep and made a ton of inappropriate and creepy comments to my BMs and guests, he missed salient moments like me (you know, THE BRIDE) walking down the aisle, he dropped the camera when DH's grandparents walked down the aisle, during the toasts the sound cuts in and out, he missed our grand entrance to the reception.... just all around terrible. TERRIBLE. We could have hired a 12 year old and handed him an iPad and would have ended up with a better wedding video. 
  • Options
    I was undecided as well, I wasn't sure if  hiring a professional videographer and spend an outrageous amount of money was right for me and my fiance. Back in March I attended one of my closest friend's wedding where she used a wedding video app. I thought that was so smart and convenient and later found out that it was super affordable for them too! I don't think I'll skip getting a wedding video since all my family and guests will be taking photos/videos anyway. I might as well do something unique with it!

I think the wedding video app my friend used was  Wedflik or Weddingmix.
  • Options
    jenijoyk said:

It was really important to us to have a video - we wanted something to remember our parents with, and we wanted something to show our kids. We went with George Street and spent about $2k on it. 

And it was HORRIBLE. I wish we had just set up a camera ourselves on a tripod in the back of the venue. Our videographer was a creep and made a ton of inappropriate and creepy comments to my BMs and guests, he missed salient moments like me (you know, THE BRIDE) walking down the aisle, he dropped the camera when DH's grandparents walked down the aisle, during the toasts the sound cuts in and out, he missed our grand entrance to the reception.... just all around terrible. TERRIBLE. We could have hired a 12 year old and handed him an iPad and would have ended up with a better wedding video. 
    @jenijoyk did you see actual footage and final edits shot by the videographer you hired prior to your wedding? Or did you sign a new pro or with a large company who sends out whomever they feel like? Just curious, bc my wedding video is amazing and I couldn't be happier. :smiley:
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    It's very important to me to NOT have any video. As a guest, I despise videography. I don't like being on camera. I really HATE it that I feel like I constantly have to be on my guard, avoiding them or hiding somewhere so they can't film me.

I'm not doing that to my guests.

I've told a few people. Some didn't care. Some feel like I do, and they thanked me for not subjecting them to that.
  • Options

@jenijoyk did you see actual footage and final edits shot by the videographer you hired prior to your wedding? Or did you sign a new pro or with a large company who sends out whomever they feel like? Just curious, bc my wedding video is amazing and I couldn't be happier. :smiley:
    No - with George Street they just send any random psychopath to your wedding with a videocamera. Everyone learn from my mistakes! Just say no to George Street.
  • Options
    I had a video and I loved it! I honestly can't imagine not having it!

Anniversary
  • Options
    It's very important to me to NOT have any video. As a guest, I despise videography. I don't like being on camera. I really HATE it that I feel like I constantly have to be on my guard, avoiding them or hiding somewhere so they can't film me.

I'm not doing that to my guests.

I've told a few people. Some didn't care. Some feel like I do, and they thanked me for not subjecting them to that.
    When I posted my video on FB, the most common response I got was that people didn't even know I had a videographer. I feel like a good videographer knows how to do that....

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards