Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

boards missing

Why is it that when I sign in to forums from the main knot page instead of the link I usually use, boards like GAY WEDDINGS appear, which I never see if I go in through community or boards?

Is this the knot equivalent of in the closet?

Re: boards missing

• Options
    Why is it that when I sign in to forums from the main knot page instead of the link I usually use, boards like GAY WEDDINGS appear, which I never see if I go in through community or boards? Is this the knot equivalent of in the closet?
    It is always under "Community" for me but not "Wedding Boards" as it is a "Special Topic Wedding Board"
  • Options
    The Community page includes all the Wedding boards and Special Topic Wedding boards.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I did not post here a few of years, married now, but working on planning 2 weddings I came to the boards after research.

I can understand something like favors being a limited special board, since most comes up under receptions, parties etc.

But Gay Weddings are legal in many states and countries now, and not only do gay people plan here but friends and family members post here.

So why is the knot considering it a special or limited interest board still? Many issues do come up under other board topics, but there are enough topics to justify indexing it with the main wedding boards page.
  • Options
    lc07lc07 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    I did not post here a few of years, married now, but working on planning 2 weddings I came to the boards after research. I can understand something like favors being a limited special board, since most comes up under receptions, parties etc. But Gay Weddings are legal in many states and countries now, and not only do gay people plan here but friends and family members post here. So why is the knot considering it a special or limited interest board still? Many issues do come up under other board topics, but there are enough topics to justify indexing it with the main wedding boards page.
    I don't know but it doesn't seem unfairly singled out. 

I mean, like most TK things it seems fairly arbitrary that there even is a special topic board and that they're not all listed in one area. It's on "special topics" along with music, flowers, photos, wedding woes and a bunch of other boards that are popular elements to a wedding. I think it's a stretch to say that it's stuck in the closet and being marginalized because it's for homosexuals. 

ETA: Why aren't you complaining about "Military Brides" is on the special topic boards. Why are THEY being marginalized. Oh and why is it "Brides" and not Grooms? Because grooms and grooms marry each other now. And grooms who marry brides might want to post, too.
  • Options
    I think the reasoning is the basics of planning a wedding is the same for gays, straights, blacks, Chinese, Catholics, Jewish people, whatever.  So those basic general topics are on the main Wedding Boards section.

For those who need more specific things based on their situations then they can go to the Special Boards.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Music etc are popular elements. Being gay is a fact of life.
  • Options
    So is not being engaged yet. And having a Vow Renewal. And being 40+
  • Options
    lc07 said:
    So is not being engaged yet. And having a Vow Renewal. And being 40+
    and being black or Jewish or Chinese or Muslim (all found on the Cultural boards).

The main Wedding Board is suppose to be about general topics that for the most part cross over all generations, races, genders, sexual orientation and religion.   

If you have specific questions about your personal situation then you ask those on the special boards.

• Options
    So is being plus sized. That's a special topic board too. I don't think its a singled out thing, gays to the other board.

Its really not as big of a deal as you're fishing around to make it one.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards